ADVERTISEMENT

Official Scrimmage updates

Taplin takes the inbound pass from Etou, Joiner closely guarding Taplin. Taplin dribbles to the right. Joiner cuts him off. Taplin reverses and crosses half court. Taplin passes to Jeffries on the wing. He takes 2 steps and slams a 180 dunk and hits his head on the rim. The trainers are looking at him. He’s okay but the rest of the scrimmage has been cancelled.

While visiting Memphis today, in Beal st , some 17-18 year old tried to convince me he was the #2 player in the country and all he needed was $100 to get to an AAU camp! He even looked at my Tulsa hat and said he was committing to Tulsa! Told him he we ran a clean program , but he could check out SMU or Memphis. ( Dude was like 5ft 6

Reactions: cmullinsTU
Thompson is here. Wearing a TU shirt.

It's kind of like how these things always go. Hard to tell much. The players who have more experience play well. Etou and Taplin are doing well. Taplin looks bigger in the shoulders and Etou is very very active. Henderson has made some nice plays.

Jefferies levitates when he jumps. It's beautiful.

Joiner is the backup point guard.

They are using real refs and there has been a lot of discussion of rule changes.

Danny Henderson is fun to watch. He's like a JP who knows what he's doing.

Artison has been at the line a lot. That's good sign. I know he likes KD, but if he can get that part of KD's game going, we may be ok when Etou and Igbanu rest.

Wheeler with a nice three at buzzer before half.

I still stand by my prediction of Etou Igbanu Jefferies Henderson and Taplin.

Early scrimmage impressions:

1. Taplin, Etou, Igbanu solid and ready.
2. Joiner PG for one team and really looks good. Maybe a better 2G but really good.
3. Artison more active inside.
4. Scott nice moves to the hole.
5. Igbanu 3 fouls early
6. Henderson pure shooter.
7. Korita about same as last year.
8. Jeffries very solid.
9. Thompson unofficial drop in. ***
10. Wheeler doing well.

Nothing completely unexpected. Referees for game conditions.

Reactions: Gold*
Jefferies and Artison took the tipoff. Artison won it. Very interesting wrinkle.

How’s the shooting?

I'm not paying close enough attention and don't have stats. Not great, but better I think.

I think Scott is going to be a much more effective player who pushes Korita down the rotation. He hustles and can shoot. Reminds me of Gendron.

We take it to the hole a lot.

The defense is taking away a lot of looks in the perimeter. That's really the most noticeable change to me. We look a lot quicker on defense. We are going to be small in the middle but very active.

That's not really a big question to me right now, but thanks for typing some words.

Jeffries tough when he flashes to high post to receive pass.

Scott is quite impressive.

If I had to put a starting lineup today it would have to be
Igbanu
Etou
Taplin
Jeffries
Scott

All with D-1 experience. But the player to watch is Joiner. Will play a tremendous amount for a Freshman.

But the player to watch is Joiner. Will play a tremendous amount for a Freshman.

He’s that impressive? Great to hear.

I’ve tried to temper any and all expectations for freshmen after being so excited about Atson last year and him looking nothing like the player I saw highlights of.

Reactions: TULSARISING
He’s that impressive? Great to hear.

I’ve tried to temper any and all expectations for freshmen after being so excited about Atson last year and him looking nothing like the player I saw highlights of.
Why wouldn't he? We are obviously winning 30 this year!

Overall, I'm pretty optimistic. Joiner does look ready to play. He may work his way in as a starter. Seems like a tough, well developed player.

Our guard play overall will be much better. Not sold on shooting, but it won't be awful. Much more competition this year.

Refs are giving some instruction now. Interesting to watch.

Everyone has something they can work on, other than Etou. He looks like a monster. All over the court and hitting threes. Everyone showed something. Korita had a nice steal that lead to basket, but then got burned on an Etou three.

We will create a lot of problems for teams.

Also, he's not going be player of the year, but Artison was decent enough that I wonder if Magnay was worried about playing time.

That’s awesome to hear. Did he get inside the paint much? That and recovering from his achilles injury have always be my biggest concern with him.

He looked recovered from the injury toward end of last season but seemed afraid of the inside still.

The two players that give me the most question marks are Henderson and Wheeler. Will they make the mental move to the next level ? If so either will be really tough and starting. If not they will have minutes overtaken. We will not know till the lights come on.

That’s awesome to hear. Did he get inside the paint much? That and recovering from his achilles injury have always be my biggest concern with him.

He looked recovered from the injury toward end of last season but seemed afraid of the inside still.

He doesn't have low post moves. But he looked fine on defense, which is my biggest worry. And got to line several times. I just hope it's another year we don't wish we had Edogi.

He doesn't have low post moves. But he looked fine on defense, which is my biggest worry. And got to line several times. I just hope it's another year we don't wish we had Edogi.
Thanks for the updates!

Kelly showed up fashionably late for her job.(20 min)

Joiner looks ready to go.(didnt look like a freshman) Jackson looked good for a freshman. Jeffries looked pretty dang good. Horne looked good. Will be a nice replacement for Etou. I wasn't as impresed with Scott as I expected to be. But he looked good. I will defer to others more experienced opinions. Felt better about Artison than last year.

It was conducted about as close to game conditions as I have seen in a Black/Blue scrimmage. The teams were chosen well balanced and there were many lead changes until the horn sounded. Taplin missed a driving layup to win at the buzzer like he made at Temple after Scott made a crucial basket with 10 seconds left for the winning team.

Maybe I'm hallucinating but it didn't seem like Henderson got very many minutes.

I hope we’re improved as I have my flight and hotel in Myrtle Beach and I don’t think I can take another 1-2 tourney.

Reactions: TU_BLA
I hope we’re improved as I have my flight and hotel in Myrtle Beach and I don’t think I can take another 1-2 tourney.

I think you will be pleased. I would post another thread about people on here not getting too up or down, but we've seen how that works. But I really think this will be a fun team to watch.

Dammit I want to see a full box score. I already have a couple of things that were not what I thought. I think part of it is that I was getting Corey Haith and Henderson mixed up because of their #'s for part of the game. I certainly didn't notice Scott's scoring total being that high. He seems very vocal.

Dammit I want to see a full box score. I already have a couple of things that were not what I thought. I think part of it is that I was getting Corey Haith and Henderson mixed up because of their #'s for part of the game. I certainly didn't notice Scott's scoring total being that high. He seems very vocal.
Isn't Henderson 4 inches taller and lighter skinned than Haith?

Yeah he's a few inches shorter, but I was right behind the black bench, and Haith spent most of his time sitting down with his back to me. When I saw Henderson on the court I could tell it was him but a lot of the action was slightly obscured from me by a young girl who kept standing up and prancing around in front of me. That good for you?

Besides that when the action is going on, I end up identifying by hair style when the season starts. Henderson's hair matches a player or two in the same height range.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT