ADVERTISEMENT

North Texas -6

unt_mug_featured.jpg
TU 54
UNT 2

Last edited:
North Texas has a potent offense that is 11th ranked in passing. Our weakness is defending the pass. Come out slow and this could get away from us quickly. Our defensive staff has a big job planning for this one. I hope our guys are ready for the challenge.

Oh, and they run the ball pretty well too!

We're going to get hammered. Our D is pretty damn porous, especially against the pass. So the DC needs to make a choice, blitz and bring pressure to get the ball out quick, OR, rush with 4 and drop into coverage to maybe keep them in front and force a bunch of FGs. If UNT has a TE they involve, we're in big trouble as it doesn't appear that we communicate well on the field in terms of who is picking up who. I mean, I saw an 8th grade game the other day where a LB pointed out the TE lined up at the end of the OL and then yelled, "I got him". Seems a pretty simple concept but somehow that simple little acknowledgement of individual assignments is lost on us (we've had a ton of busted deep coverages with DBs looking around puzzled).

Next, our offense, specifically the run and pass games are inconsistent and it all has to do with poor OL play. Seriously, if the OL could get any push up front whatsoever and our RBs could consistently gain 3-4 yds on each run play, it would open things up for Francis, or the jet sweeps. The play action would force the LBs to hold before dropping into coverage. We also have to have Francis look at the other WRs more consistently. It seems he is only looking at Benjamin unless he is covered and he desperately heaves it towards someone else.

We're going to get hammered. Our D is pretty damn porous, especially against the pass. So the DC needs to make a choice, blitz and bring pressure to get the ball out quick, OR, rush with 4 and drop into coverage to maybe keep them in front and force a bunch of FGs. If UNT has a TE they involve, we're in big trouble as it doesn't appear that we communicate well on the field in terms of who is picking up who. I mean, I saw an 8th grade game the other day where a LB pointed out the TE lined up at the end of the OL and then yelled, "I got him". Seems a pretty simple concept but somehow that simple little acknowledgement of individual assignments is lost on us (we've had a ton of busted deep coverages with DBs looking around puzzled).

Next, our offense, specifically the run and pass games are inconsistent and it all has to do with poor OL play. Seriously, if the OL could get any push up front whatsoever and our RBs could consistently gain 3-4 yds on each run play, it would open things up for Francis, or the jet sweeps. The play action would force the LBs to hold before dropping into coverage. We also have to have Francis look at the other WRs more consistently. It seems he is only looking at Benjamin unless he is covered and he desperately heaves it towards someone else.
You pick us to lose every game.

You need to stick to reffing soccer and those super fun 0-0 ties

I honestly have no clue. I am very confused by this team. We started with a great offense and no defense and then last game was great defense and no offense...

You pick us to lose every game.

You need to stick to reffing soccer and those super fun 0-0 ties
To quote MJ from the MCU Spiderman movies, "If you expect disappointment, then you can never really be disappointed."

BTW, I reffed a U12 girls game last night, score was 9-3 and I got to issue a yellow card to an 11 year old.

I don’t think UNT is super good, but this is a terrible matchup for the ol’ Golden Hurricane.

It will probably be an OSU type score, with TU possibly scoring a few more points this time.

I have no doubt that 11 year old girl was asking for it :)
Actuality is, if I were a black and white issue referee, she would have deserved a red card for violent conduct. Her team was getting trashed, she lost a battle for the ball in the box and ended up on her butt. Out of frustration she kicked out at the opponent and cracked her in the shin guard (ball was already away)...I played on because the team maintained the ball/advantage and scored a goal. I then went to the girl and told her she needs to maintain her composure and emotions better and why she was getting a yellow card. I explained it to the coach at the end of the game as well as to what I saw and why I had to give the yellow. She understood and apparently frustration has been part of this young lady's soccer experience so far.

Listen, U12 rec girls soccer...I'm not showing a red card unless it's so bad that players are either throwing haymakers or a girl is grabbing another girl's ponytail and flinging her to the ground with it. It's an opportunity to teach and coach, even from the referee spot.

Seriously, if the OL could get any push up front whatsoever and our RBs could consistently gain 3-4 yds on each run play, it would open things up for Francis, or the jet sweeps.
I was afraid of this from the start, that a depleted OL(of upperclassmen, of previous starters or 2 deepers, of overall # bodies, etc) No offense, despite the talent of the QB/WR/RBs will overcome OL depleted talent. Started to think we might overcome it, until the start of the second half at Arkansas St. Hopefully we begin to grow up quick, and some of the underclass OL starts to play like upperclassmen by the time Temple gets here. UNT & Army will likely be losses anyway, so that gives the youngsters two games more to get the hee be gee bees of inexperience out of the way.

You are seeing 2 tier football with NIL. Tulsa is in the tier were anything can happen, so predictions are worth almost nothing week to week...

Having said that...

Tulsa - 17
UNT - 45

Did you see what Iown State did to Arkansas State?

You are seeing 2 tier football with NIL. Tulsa is in the tier were anything can happen, so predictions are worth almost nothing week to week...

Having said that...

Tulsa - 17
UNT - 45

Comparative scoring means NOTHING in today's world of football.

Reactions: dlsnid
I can see this score happening , La Techs offense www horrific , so our defense having an ok game against them isn’t that impressive , what worries me now is our sudden inability to March down the field and score

Last time we played North Texas in Denton we won 56 - 26. I don't think we have that kind of offensive firepower this year but I think it'll be an even match and we win 35-28.

Having said that...

Tulsa - 17
UNT - 45

Yet they gave Michigan all their money's worth.

It will be a close game unless one team has more excessive turnovers and stupid mistakes (“major” penalties 😁, totally blown assignments, etc) than the other.

Reactions: dougheffking
It will be a close game unless one team has more excessive turnovers and stupid mistakes (“major” penalties 😁, totally blown assignments, etc) than the other.
I am mostly relieved about the recent realignment news and feel we have been gifted a little more time to get our house in order.

That is injecting a bit of positivity for me.

I am mostly relieved about the recent realignment news and feel we have been gifted a little more time to get our house in order.

That is injecting a bit of positivity for me.
For sure. And perhaps the AAC can add Air Force and strengthen the conference going forward. We gotta start WINNING! I've heard people gerrymandering about wanting Rice and UTSA to join their conferences before us. We're not even on the radar for expansion by any other conference. Win some damn games and get butts in seats.

For sure. And perhaps the AAC can add Air Force and strengthen the conference going forward. We gotta start WINNING! I've heard people gerrymandering about wanting Rice and UTSA to join their conferences before us. We're not even on the radar for expansion by any other conference. Win some damn games and get butts in seats.
I guess we're back to potential eyeballs over actual eyeballs watching.

I was afraid of this from the start, that a depleted OL(of upperclassmen, of previous starters or 2 deepers, of overall # bodies, etc) No offense, despite the talent of the QB/WR/RBs will overcome OL depleted talent. Started to think we might overcome it, until the start of the second half at Arkansas St. Hopefully we begin to grow up quick, and some of the underclass OL starts to play like upperclassmen by the time Temple gets here. UNT & Army will likely be losses anyway, so that gives the youngsters two games more to get the hee be gee bees of inexperience out of the way.
Kasen Carpenter is a redshirt freshman starting at center, Brody Duffel , a true freshman, played last week at left tackle . The
offensive line coach is playing a lot of young bucks apparently because they must have more upside than the older players.
The O-Line is a work in progress and hopefully they will continue to improve , but there are no Tyler Smith's in the line up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT