ADVERTISEMENT

Newest Classic Moment

Thank you for posting. I love the red jerseys and the throw back jerseys from a few years ago are some of my favorite. Seeing them in a classic win at the Orange Bowl makes me laugh when people complain about our "traditional blue and gold uniforms." Looks like traditional can be a number of things, including red, when it comes to TU.

Last edited:
It has been a tradition for at least 35 years, I don't know about the 35 years before that. I am assuming we started primarily wearing blue and gold some time in the 50's or the 60's. Maybe some old timers know....

It isn't as simple as a question of what looks good. The use of a red as a highlight color only, and not as a primary color, is an official University policy adopted by the Board of Trustees.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
It isn't as simple as a question of what looks good. The use of a red as a highlight color only, and not as a primary color, is an official University policy adopted by the Board of Trustees.

Have never understood how we can be the Golden Hurricane but we wear blue.

Reactions: jerandlaur
You can blame a local PR firm for that idea. The firm no longer exists, go figure. There are other folks actively trying to eliminate the word Golden from University use for a variety of reasons. If memory serves, Bubba was in this camp, but didnt really care that much. He was in favor of whatever worked best regardless of the issue.UCF dropped their use of Golden a few years ago with little protest.It wouldn't surprise me if its gone from Hurricane in the next five years.

Last edited:
Lots of reasons, many I will not go into in this forum. One obvious reason is the word Golden being associated with a type of sex act. Other people think it makes it difficult to market merchandise and there are numbers to back that up from other schools that track what they sell in gold and their other color. A lot of different people, who you would think could and should care less are not big fans of it. I've heard high placed faculty complain they don't like explaining the origin of the name when they go to conferences and what not.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if you found someone in Oliphant or McFarlin dressed up like a hippie that would tell you that it should be changed because the word Golden conjures up images of Spanish conquest of the New World and British colonial domination of South Africa.

I will note the video refers to them as the Tulsa Warriors. I could be wrong, but I don't believe they say Golden Hurricane during the film.

Yeah, I've heard most of those reasons many times before... And I meant the question as rhetorical. The Golden shower thing reminds me of people who consider changing their name because it elicits bad nicknames. With someone's name, just like TU's name, I say get over it. Every name can be made fun of in some way. Oh my god... somebody called us the golden shower, what ever shall we do? Changing the name simply changes how they make fun of it. As for the gold, that's probably why our color are generally used as such, Blue: Primary Gold: Secondary White and Red: Accents

When I was in school, our local protest groups could be found en mass at the Westby Center, in hippy dreads and such. A few of them were my friends. I'm sure one of them would have made similar arguments as your McFarlin guy/girl. I'm also pretty sure there are many old and new compatriots to their causes on campus now.

The video refers to them as the Hurricane. The word warriors is used to refer to the players on the field.

We have used variations of colors for years. When Rader was there they had baby blue helmets. It changes. We are not a dynasty type team.

Yeah, I've heard most of those reasons many times before... And I meant the question as rhetorical. The Golden shower thing reminds me of people who consider changing their name because it elicits bad nicknames. With someone's name, just like TU's name, I say get over it. Every name can be made fun of in some way. Oh my god... somebody called us the golden shower, what ever shall we do? Changing the name simply changes how they make fun of it. As for the gold, that's probably why our color are generally used as such, Blue: Primary Gold: Secondary White and Red: Accents

When I was in school, our local protest groups could be found en mass at the Westby Center, in hippy dreads and such. A few of them were my friends. I'm sure one of them would have made similar arguments as your McFarlin guy/girl. I'm also pretty sure there are many old and new compatriots to their causes on campus now.
Thanks guys. That helps.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT