ADVERTISEMENT

New Home & Home

Wait, the MWC examples you brought up are all the ones I mentioned lol. CSU, Fresno, Boise.....Fresno has a special place of hate for example. Rice attendance is consistently better than the average of each year they played here. Even in 2008 we had two sell outs, UCF ranked and New Mexico to open the new stadium. Rice was basically 25k and the next highest attended game.

2012 Fresno had 24k highest attendance and Rice had 22.5k for second, 3k better than anyone else.

Actually we want all the fans to go to every game possible, that's what a following is. Having a game in Wyoming, or against Utah St, does nothing for our fans in travel, nothing for our recruiting and doesn't help us with our national perception, playing in western timezones against unknown teams.
Rice was homecoming in those seasons. Homecoming always sees a boosted attendance. The reason they were homecoming is because they've been a historically bad program.

Fresno State does nothing for our fans in travel and doesn't help us with recruiting.... you don't always play games for recruiting or for fans to travel to. Sometimes you play games against teams that will move the needle at home.

The best example of your Rice love being overblown is 2010. Guess what. We were 5-3 going into the Rice game with two close losses to ECU and SMU and a big victory on national television against Notre Dame. The next week... we play Rice.... who draws a whopping 19,000! Rice is absolute garbage for drawing Tulsa fans unless they're the head on the chopping block during homecoming.

More evidence. 2006: We're 7-2.... Already Bowl Eligible! Still have a shot at winning the division after losing to Houston the week before... We get Rice at home.... We draw 18K and lose to them in double OT in front of a half full stadium. We had larger draws for Southern Miss, Stephen F. Austin, and UTEP that season.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Fair point lol. Boise was also #5 when they sold out. Still, it says something that those teams can garner that many tickets. I think the last team outside of the AAC / MWC / OU-OSU to draw over 24K was FAU in Monty's first game as HC... before that.... jeez it's been a long time.

I think any of us would argue that the Iowa State H&H was a good signing... but they only drew 20K when they came to Tulsa because both squads were poor to mediocre.
That was a weird return game because it was pretty much the 3rd time the teams played in 12 months and they both ahd a significant drop off from the bowl game (heck, outside of the 1st 10 minutes of the Liberty Bowl, we absolutely hammered them). And there was a good chance had Bryan Burnham not gone down with the ACL injury up in Ames, we probably win that game too. Cody Green actually played well in that game up until that play.

That was a weird return game because it was pretty much the 3rd time the teams played in 12 months and they both ahd a significant drop off from the bowl game (heck, outside of the 1st 10 minutes of the Liberty Bowl, we absolutely hammered them). And there was a good chance had Bryan Burnham not gone down with the ACL injury up in Ames, we probably win that game too. Cody Green actually played well in that game up until that play.
Completely agree.

Rice was homecoming in those seasons. Homecoming always sees a boosted attendance. The reason they were homecoming is because they've been a historically bad program.

Fresno State does nothing for our fans in travel and doesn't help us with recruiting.... you don't always play games for recruiting or for fans to travel to. Sometimes you play games against teams that will move the needle at home.

The best example of your Rice love being overblown is 2010. Guess what. We were 5-3 going into the Rice game with two close losses to ECU and SMU and a big victory on national television against Notre Dame. The next week... we play Rice.... who draws a whopping 19,000! Rice is absolute garbage for drawing Tulsa fans unless they're the head on the chopping block during homecoming.

More evidence. 2006: We're 7-2.... Already Bowl Eligible! Still have a shot at winning the division after losing to Houston the week before... We get Rice at home.... We draw 18K and lose to them in double OT in front of a half full stadium. We had larger draws for Southern Miss, Stephen F. Austin, and UTEP that season.
If you are looking for truth, you will find it here.

First I already gave credit for Fresno, also CSU, Boise and Hawaii. The rest of the MWC is trash.

Secondly we are talking about Wyoming and SJSU who move the needle for no one, not even their own fans.

2010, yes let's ignore the up and down start of that team or that UTEP drew 16k the next home game with us having a 7-3 record. Rice was played the same time as OSU hosted a ranked Baylor to boot.

Again Rice games have consistently beat our season average since the days we shared the WAC. The 2006 season being one of the few they didn't.

Regional opponents in fertile recruiting grounds are what we want with our g5 ooc. Not games at elevation at 10pm against teams their own communities don't care about.

Whether or not we fans travel has a lot to do with our level of sustained success.

Actually Rice had quite the upset of Texas in 1994. I remember watching the game on TV because the stadium was very empty. Texas ended up at 8-4 that season.
If Texas loses in a stadium with tarps over the bleachers and no one is around to see it.... did it really happen?

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Whether or not we fans travel has a lot to do with our level of sustained success.
Back in either 2001 or 2002 I picked up my tickets at the Visitors Will Call in Fresno and the intern behind the desk told me that our two tickets were the only tickets that TU sold for the game.

Back in either 2001 or 2002 I picked up my tickets at the Visitors Will Call in Fresno and the intern behind the desk told me that our two tickets were the only tickets that TU sold for the game.
In a black humor way, was going to like your post. But even in a lighthearted effort, that didn't seem quite right.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT