ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Scouts decend on Tulsa to see Murray State PG

I.I.

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
Is Cameron Payne the nation's top PG? We may find out tonight. Scouts say he is much better than Nic Moore. Averaging around 20 ppg. Toughest test yet for Harrison, Woodard, Ray and Curtis.

Originally posted by I.I.:

Is Cameron Payne the nation's top PG? We may find out tonight. Scouts say he is much better than Nic Moore. Averaging around 20 ppg. Toughest test yet for Harrison, Woodard, Ray and Curtis.
VanVleet is a better PG...I think VanVleet is the best PG in the country. Payne can have his pts, but TU simply needs to eliminate the effectiveness of others around him.

Payne has much better size than Moore or Van Vleet. He's comparable with Damian Lillard. Payne is also putting up 6 assists in addition to those 20 ppg and it's all happening in his sophomore year. This is what I want to see out of Shaq next year. Payne can absolutely shoot the lights out.

Haith compared these guys to Cincy, but I don't see it. Murray State has way better guard play, but doesn't seem to have the bigs that give everyone trouble inside (though they sure beat up on UTEP). I'm not sure we've played anyone like them. SMU and Temple didn't have shooters like this, but SMU obviously has a little more depth inside. Maybe a more effective Tulane or ECU, in terms of style?

I compared them to Tulane in another thread with slightly better outside shooting. I'm not terribly impressed with their inside play and they certainly do not bring the physical style of defense we have become accustomed to in the AAC. Heck, Cincinnati gave Kentucky fits for the majority of the game with the physical style. You could tell UK was simply uncomfortable for most of the game. Cincinnati simply could not score and and it wasn't for a lack of good looks or second chances.

Cauley-Stein is a difference maker in the paint but he had to earn every step and bucket.

We have lost most of our games not guarding the three point shooter. Oddly enough that was how Cincy beat us as Cobb had a career game at our expense. We held our own inside. I like the fact we had lots of time before this game and students are back.

Originally posted by Gold*:
Haith compared these guys to Cincy, but I don't see it. Murray State has way better guard play, but doesn't seem to have the bigs that give everyone trouble inside (though they sure beat up on UTEP). I'm not sure we've played anyone like them. SMU and Temple didn't have shooters like this, but SMU obviously has a little more depth inside. Maybe a more effective Tulane or ECU, in terms of style?
I agree Gold Cincy's bigs are so good. They played really well against Kentucky. That game was a war, Cincy likes to play rough and tumble.

GO TU!!!!

Well this Payne guy ought to write TU a donation check after he gets a fat NBA contract, since we regularly let shooting guards light us up.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

TU hasn't played a single team all year that compares well to Murray State. They're like Wichita State's offense mixed with Houston's defense.

I suspect we will see Curtis on Payne. Curtis will do a good job but it will go unnoticed on here.

I suspect we will see Curtis on Payne. Curtis will do a good job but it will go unnoticed on here.
Which Curtis will show up? I hope it is the NIT Curtis.

I'd take the Curtis who did a good job on Nic Moore at SMU. That's what I'm sayin.

I'd take the Curtis who did a good job on Nic Moore at SMU. That's what I'm sayin.
We will send them all at him. To be honest, we need to control the glass and defend the other four. Payne can't beat TU by himself.

As a TEAM TU needs to bring it's A game...

Anything less and Murray St. will be sending TU to the showers!!!

Drafted by the Thunder today
That is a good pick by OKC and addresses a need. I think the Thunder would eventually love to move Westbrook to the 2 which is a more natural position for him and keep Durant as a long 3. How quickly can Payne get his game under control and adapt to the NBA?

Reactions: jesterondirt
I don't think Westbrook would be as effective off the ball. He's not a knock-down shooter. In fact... it would make more sense to me to play this Payne kid at the 2 because of his shooting ability.

Friday New York Times had a picture of Payne driving around Shaq Harrison from the TU NIT game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT