ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Boycott

astonmartin708

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Apr 17, 2012
I'm excited to hear about Trump's opinions on this.

Maybe he can have Hershel Walker come out again and pander to the African American community. Or will fox news just tell Walker to 'shut up and run'?

Reactions: TU 1978
Looking forward to Biden telling the black community they aren’t black unless they support certain candidates and policies :)

Nice to see all the attention the NBA has brought to the innocent black men, women and children being murdered by the thousands in our cities...oh wait.

Public service announcement to everyone on this board....if you’re being arrested it is advisable to listen to the police and do what they ask. If you’re a violent felon it’s even more important due to the possibility of jumpy scared cops. I’m sure the NBA and BLM people will be giving this advice shortly as it would save lives.

Reactions: 4tu2
Looking forward to Biden telling the black community they aren’t black unless they support certain candidates and policies :)

Nice to see all the attention the NBA has brought to the innocent black men, women and children being murdered by the thousands in our cities...oh wait.

Public service announcement to everyone on this board....if you’re being arrested it is advisable to listen to the police and do what they ask. If you’re a violent felon it’s even more important due to the possibility of jumpy scared cops. I’m sure the NBA and BLM people will be giving this advice shortly as it would save lives.
You forgot to mention if you're black, then you better be extra careful at any time ever.

What Biden should have said is that if you're black and you support Trump or the current iteration of the Republican party, you're just dumb for ignoring the overall disregard for your safety, your economic wellbeing, your civil rights, the struggles of your ancestors etc...

Last edited:
Reactions: Topeke
You forgot to mention if you're black, then you better be extra careful at any time ever.

What Biden should have said is that if you're black and you support Trump or the current iteration of the Republican party, you're just dumb for ignoring the overall disregard for your safety, your economic wellbeing, your civil rights, the struggles of your ancestors etc...

Right...or just follow the instructions of the police when getting arrested. You are correct though, if you’re black and live in the inner city you are over ten times more likely to be murdered by those living elsewhere regardless of skin color. So being extra careful in the face of the extreme violence going on around you would be advisable.

Reactions: shon46
Right...or just follow the instructions of the police when getting arrested. You are correct though, if you’re black and live in the inner city you are over ten times more likely to be murdered by those living elsewhere regardless of skin color. So being extra careful in the face of the extreme violence going on around you would be advisable.
Or if you are putting your kids in your car and then getting in your car to drive them home, you’re fair game for the thug police.

Or if you are putting your kids in your car and then getting in your car to drive them home, you’re fair game for the thug police.

If you have a felony warrant out for your arrest you are absolutely correct.

Both parties here need to change how they interact with each other.

Last edited:
If you have a felony warrant out for your arrest you are absolutely correct.

Both parties here need to change how they interact with each other.
Only one party gets a badge, a gun, and gets to act like the "diplomatic immunity" guy from Lethal Weapon 2. That's the party that needs to be held to a higher standard first.

Only one party gets a badge, a gun, and gets to act like the "diplomatic immunity" guy from Lethal Weapon 2. That's the party that needs to be held to a higher standard first.

That never works. Both parties must change. Especially those who have a long and sometimes violent criminal past. They must recognize that police will be nervous dealing with them due to their past criminal activities. When can we also have a discussion and protests for the hundred of innocent black men, women and children who are murdered in this country every week? Let’s proclaim those lives matter as well. Not just those very few killed by police

That never works. Both parties must change. Especially those who have a long and sometimes violent criminal past. They must recognize that police will be nervous dealing with them due to their past criminal activities. When can we also have a discussion and protests for the hundred of innocent black men, women and children who are murdered in this country every week? Let’s proclaim those lives matter as well. Not just those very few killed by police
You're asking criminals to not act like criminals. One side has to be held to a higher standard. It's not ok for the people in authority to act just as poorly as the people they're trying to arrest. If you want to talk about the crime in inter cities, maybe look at the stunted growth of their society caused by our country's policies over the last 200 years. That's a lot more difficult to change than it is to be able to better train and appropriately punish cops.

Maybe if the side that was protecting all cops (good and bad) actually made substantial efforts to help the communities where these murders were happening, I would agree that we could change both sides.... but one side is immobile and one side is poor, underrepresented, and angry about it and they're doing whatever they can to roll the dice on not being destitute anymore even if that means crime.

Do you honestly think most of these people wouldn't rather have a privileged life growing up than fall into a life of crime? If you gave a random black child in Chicago a trust fund of a million dollars how likely do you think they would be to become a gangbanger? A lot of them don't choose crime they fall into it. The system breaks them and they become hardened and they see no way out.

Last edited:
You're asking criminals to not act like criminals. One side has to be held to a higher standard. It's not ok for the people in authority to act just as poorly as the people they're trying to arrest. If you want to talk about the crime in inter cities, maybe look at the stunted growth of their society caused by our country's policies over the last 200 years. That's a lot more difficult to change than it is to be able to better train and appropriately punish cops.

Maybe if the side that was protecting all cops (good and bad) actually made substantial efforts to help the communities where these murders were happening, I would agree that we could change both sides.... but one side is immobile and one side is poor, underrepresented, and angry about it and they're doing whatever they can to roll the dice on not being destitute anymore even if that means crime.

Do you honestly think most of these people wouldn't rather have a privileged life growing up than fall into a life of crime? If you gave a random black child in Chicago a trust fund of a million dollars how likely do you think they would be to become a gangbanger? A lot of them don't choose crime they fall into it. The system breaks them and they become hardened and they see no way out.

Let’s not characterize our cities as containing large numbers of criminals. The violence / crime is being committed by a relatively small number of individuals compared to the overall population. Unfortunately, their actions result rampant crime and violence in those neighborhoods. As long as we’re silent nothing will change (sound familiar). As I’ve said many times, a new focus and valuation on education is a must. Societal values must change. Work programs need to be instituted. The leaders in these communities need help from our celebrities, athletes, etc.. They are currently getting practically none. It’s inexcusable. We would rather boycott over criminals getting shot instead of murdered black children and the horrific conditions which they live. Our value system is broken.

I’m asking people with a voice to talk about how to act when you get pulled over or arrested by the police. Criminals will be criminals. Let’s remember that as well as those who are truly innocent murder victims.

Changes need to be made. Unfortunately, those with a voice are tone deaf to most of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: HuffyCane
Let’s not characterize our cities as containing large numbers of criminals. The violence / crime is being committed by a relatively small number of individuals compared to the overall population. Unfortunately, their actions result rampant crime and violence in those neighborhoods. As long as we’re silent nothing will change (sound familiar). As I’ve said many times, a new focus and valuation on education is a must. Societal values must change. Work programs need to be instituted. The leaders in these communities need help from our celebrities, athletes, etc.. They are currently getting practically none. It’s inexcusable. We would rather boycott over criminals getting shot instead of murdered black children and the horrific conditions which they live. Our value system is broken.

I’m asking people with a voice to talk about how to act when you get pulled over or arrested by the police. Criminals will be criminals. Let’s remember that as well as those who are truly innocent murder victims.

Changes need to be made. Unfortunately, those with a voice are tone dead to most of them.
You got my vote Congressman.

Changes need to be made. Unfortunately, those with a voice are tone deaf to most of them.
I think the murder of innocents and criminals who haven’t committed death penalty deserving offenses by cops is a pretty natural reaction and it’s not just these single incidence that poor people and people of color are upset about. Stuff like this happens everyday to thousands upon thousands of people they just don’t end up shot, or if they do they don’t end up on the news.

I’m all for revamping our urban communities and our education system, and I’ve seen the left put out plan after plan only to be continually shot down as overspenders and for Republicans to favor deregulation or abolishment of institutions meant to help. In favor of the same kinds of privatized capitalist systems that people have been complaining for years are systematically racist.

I think the murder of innocents and criminals who haven’t committed death penalty deserving offenses by cops is a pretty natural reaction and it’s not just these single incidence that poor people and people of color are upset about. Stuff like this happens everyday to thousands upon thousands of people they just don’t end up shot, or if they do they don’t end up on the news.

I’m all for revamping our urban communities and our education system, and I’ve seen the left put out plan after plan only to be continually shot down as overspenders and for Republicans to favor deregulation or abolishment of institutions meant to help. In favor of the same kinds of privatized capitalist systems that people have been complaining for years are systematically racist.

I have no idea how you can blame the Pubs for the conditions in places like Chicago. Dems control every facet of government there. How did Chicago fair under the Obama admin if we want to even involve the Fed’s with the local and state governments. Dems have tried the same failed policies in our urban areas for years. Areas which they control. They are at the point now where they don’t even try anymore. Zero focus or discussion. Yet you’re apparently not black if you don’t vote for these people who don’t care about the violence which infests your neighborhood. They treat these people like sheep. Just sad.

Reactions: 4tu2
I have no idea how you can blame the Pubs for the conditions in places like Chicago. Dems control every facet of government there. How did Chicago fair under the Obama admin if we want to even involve the Fed’s with the local and state governments. Dems have tried the same failed policies in our urban areas for years. Areas which they control. They are at the point now where they don’t even try anymore. Zero focus or discussion. Yet you’re apparently not black if you don’t vote for these people who don’t care about the violence which infests your neighborhood. They treat these people like sheep. Just sad.

Maybe the fact that they've had 2 Democratic governors not named Rod Blagojevich in the past 40+ years. Illinois being Democratic is a relatively new concept still. Their state government was Republican dominated for decades until the early 2000's. A lot of Illinois / Chicago's problems are related to the state having difficulty funding things due to broken pension systems underfunded by R's in the 80's and 90's.

They also had R George Ryan and D Blogojevich who basically wasted nearly a decade in office with scandals and illegalities. That state is still trying to claw its way out from a bribery system that started when Ryan was their Secretary of State for 20 years between 81 and 99 and continued under a guy like Blogojevich.

Moreover, a lot of the violence is committed with guns from surrounding Republican states. (I'm looking at you Mike Pence)

More recently they had a Republican governor (Rauner) for 4 years who vetoed many budgets passed by the legislature. Refusing to sign them until the legislature approved his legislation against union dues (which tend to help workers). In the meantime he increased sales taxes on a bunch of industries. This all led to state agencies cutting back budgets and services to things like child care assistance, social services, state university funds, public transit, etc... You know, a bunch of stuff that would actually help people in downtrodden neighborhoods. He lost reelection in a landslide btw.

Last edited:
Maybe the fact that they've had 2 Democratic governors not named Rod Blagojevich in the past 40+ years. Illinois being Democratic is a relatively new concept still. Their state government was Republican dominated for decades until the early 2000's. A lot of Illinois / Chicago's problems are related to the state having difficulty funding things due to broken pension systems underfunded by R's in the 80's and 90's.

They also had R George Ryan and D Blogojevich who basically wasted nearly a decade in office with scandals and illegalities. That state is still trying to claw its way out from a bribery system that started when Ryan was their Secretary of State for 20 years between 81 and 99 and continued under a guy like Blogojevich.

Moreover, a lot of the violence is committed with guns from surrounding Republican states. (I'm looking at you Mike Pence)

More recently they had a Republican governor (Rauner) for 4 years who vetoed many budgets passed by the legislature. Refusing to sign them until the legislature approved his legislation against union dues (which tend to help workers). In the meantime he increased sales taxes on a bunch of industries. This all led to state agencies cutting back budgets and services to things like child care assistance, social services, state university funds, public transit, etc... You know, a bunch of stuff that would actually help people in downtrodden neighborhoods. He lost reelection in a landslide btw.

There are so many wrong with this statement I’m not sure where to start. First, Dems controlled the Governors office, Mayor, and all local offices in Chicago from 2003 to 2015. Pubs have never controlled all of those offices at the same time. Dismissing blame from the party of holds every public office from mayor down to aldermen is absurd. They run the city and have and continue to fail.

The problem with the pensions aren’t funding but the pensions themselves. No state government would be able to meet the financial demands of these pensions. They have been draining the state of resources for years. Thank you unions.

They treat these people like sheep. Just sad.
The same way the GOP treats Christians if they don't vote for the GOP candidate..."you must not be a good Christian". Hear it all the f---ing time. I never talked politics at ORU because I knew I could be fired for anything dissenting from the evangelical line b/c they'd take it as "you're not Christian enough" (anyway, I am pretty sure I was asked to resign because I don't speak in tongues...true story). And the evangelicals also expect wives to follow the leads of their husbands and to submit to them. Talk about sheep.

The same way the GOP treats Christians if they don't vote for the GOP candidate..."you must not be a good Christian". Hear it all the f---ing time. I never talked politics at ORU because I knew I could be fired for anything dissenting from the evangelical line b/c they'd take it as "you're not Christian enough" (anyway, I am pretty sure I was asked to resign because I don't speak in tongues...true story). And the evangelicals also expect wives to follow the leads of their husbands and to submit to them. Talk about sheep.

You are spot on. I do think grouping people by race and expecting them to act in a particular way because of race is a bit more dicey than applying the religious label to the same expectation. The former borders on racism imo especially when it’s applied to other activities.

You are spot on. I do think grouping people by race and expecting them to act in a particular way because of race is a bit more dicey than applying the religious label to the same expectation. The former borders on racism imo especially when it’s applied to other activities.
BTW, I don't agree with what Biden said. I know the sentiment he was trying to get across but the phrasing was just really really wrong. But he gets a pass. If Trump gets a pass on all of the misogynistic, racist, anti-immigrant, Chinese flu, crap...then Biden gets a pass on this.

Reactions: astonmartin708
There are so many wrong with this statement I’m not sure where to start. First, Dems controlled the Governors office, Mayor, and all local offices in Chicago from 2003 to 2015. Pubs have never controlled all of those offices at the same time. Dismissing blame from the party of holds every public office from mayor down to aldermen is absurd. They run the city and have and continue to fail.

The problem with the pensions aren’t funding but the pensions themselves. No state government would be able to meet the financial demands of these pensions. They have been draining the state of resources for years. Thank you unions.
I very much think you give too much credit to how much a mayor can do compared to how much a governor can do for (or to the detriment of) a state. Of course the mayor of Chicago is a bit more powerful than say the mayor of Talequah, but still there's only so much they can do with city ordinances and delegated legal power. They have very little ability to fully fund social programs needed in impoverished or crime ridden neighborhoods without drawing those resources from elsewhere.

Secondly, I'll agree that Dems did control Illinois to some degree during those years, however they were trying to recover from 10 or so years of major political scandal, corruption, bribery, etc... that wasn't all related to Democrats in addition to the funding issues they've had with Pensions.

I can't overstate enough how important the Pension crisis is in Illinois, and while yes the Democratic administrations have perpetuated things they've all been handed a crap hand to begin with due to the Republican Governor, Edgar underfunding their pensions back in the early 90's. It's cost them billions in unrealized return on investment.

EdgarRamp-03-1024x865.png

Despite the title of the graph, underfunding of these pensions is almost half the problem. Every state has been struggling with pension plans for the same reasons (bad investments, allowing employees early retirements, bad practices on employee contributions, people living longer, etc...) but not all states shot themselves in the foot with a 50 under funding plan in the 90's. Honestly, I'm not entirely sure there's a way out of the hole they've dug for themselves collectively and the blame goes on both sides.

BTW, I don't agree with what Biden said. I know the sentiment he was trying to get across but the phrasing was just really really wrong. But he gets a pass. If Trump gets a pass on all of the misogynistic, racist, anti-immigrant, Chinese flu, crap...then Biden gets a pass on this.
The message he was trying to convey would not have caused him grief on the campaign trail, if better stated.

The main problem isn’t underfunded pensions it’s funding them period. No state can divert that percentage of resources to its public employees pensions and remain solvent. There’s only so much money to go around. You have to take from one program to fund another. Illinois is a mess as is it’s largest city.

I very much think you give too much credit to how much a mayor can do compared to how much a governor can do for (or to the detriment of) a state. Of course the mayor of Chicago is a bit more powerful than say the mayor of Talequah, but still there's only so much they can do with city ordinances and delegated legal power. They have very little ability to fully fund social programs needed in impoverished or crime ridden neighborhoods without drawing those resources from elsewhere.

Secondly, I'll agree that Dems did control Illinois to some degree during those years, however they were trying to recover from 10 or so years of major political scandal, corruption, bribery, etc... that wasn't all related to Democrats in addition to the funding issues they've had with Pensions.

I can't overstate enough how important the Pension crisis is in Illinois, and while yes the Democratic administrations have perpetuated things they've all been handed a crap hand to begin with due to the Republican Governor, Edgar underfunding their pensions back in the early 90's. It's cost them billions in unrealized return on investment.

EdgarRamp-03-1024x865.png

Despite the title of the graph, underfunding of these pensions is almost half the problem. Every state has been struggling with pension plans for the same reasons (bad investments, allowing employees early retirements, bad practices on employee contributions, people living longer, etc...) but not all states shot themselves in the foot with a 50 under funding plan in the 90's. Honestly, I'm not entirely sure there's a way out of the hole they've dug for themselves collectively and the blame goes on both sides.
Aston's right. There are state legislature's (mostly GOP) neutering city governance right now by passing laws saying cities can't pass laws. Georgia is trying to neuter the city government of Atlanta (wonder why). WI is another. Hell the WI state legislature neutered the governor there. Kentucky did the same. (BTW, the state legislature in WI is as close to a neo-Nazi party as there is in the US right now...go figure, inspired by McCarthy himself). The Oklahoma legislature threatened to pass a law to declare and city mask ordinances null and void. Fortunately, while the super majority of legislators in OK call themselves Republicans, not all of them are as radical and hyper right wing nut job as Nathan Dahm.

The main problem isn’t underfunded pensions it’s funding them period. No state can divert that percentage of resources to its public employees pensions and remain solvent. There’s only so much money to go around. You have to take from one program to fund another. Illinois is a mess as is it’s largest city.
There are a lot of state's that are a mess. Oklahoma and it's refusal to adjust its tax brackets and even raise the level of taxes and remaining stubborn to an economic base and model that, something even my 14 year old understands, is beholden to a finite and increasingly less available resource.

There are a lot of state's that are a mess. Oklahoma and it's refusal to adjust its tax brackets and even raise the level of taxes and remaining stubborn to an economic base and model that, something even my 14 year old understands, is beholden to a finite and increasingly less available resource.

I’m not aware of any other state with the debt problems of Illinois. They would love to have Oklahoma’s balance sheet. If we’re going to criticize a state’s fiscal policy we likely should start with Illinois.

Aston's right. There are state legislature's (mostly GOP) neutering city governance right now by passing laws saying cities can't pass laws. Georgia is trying to neuter the city government of Atlanta (wonder why). WI is another. Hell the WI state legislature neutered the governor there. Kentucky did the same. (BTW, the state legislature in WI is as close to a neo-Nazi party as there is in the US right now...go figure, inspired by McCarthy himself). The Oklahoma legislature threatened to pass a law to declare and city mask ordinances null and void. Fortunately, while the super majority of legislators in OK call themselves Republicans, not all of them are as radical and hyper right wing nut job as Nathan Dahm.
To be fair, the Illinois legislature is now majority Dem. I haven't researched enough to find out it's makeup over the last 20 or so years....but the legislature has largely been neutered by Governors' vetos in that state.

I’m not aware of any other state with the debt problems of Illinois. They would love to have Oklahoma’s balance sheet. If we’re going to criticize a state’s fiscal policy we likely should start with Illinois.
I live in a R state now that is natural resource dependent. Year after year the revenue from O&G + Coal is shrinking due to market forces and they refuse to promote policies to diversify the economy or raise taxes because they're so conservative. They don't realize that there's only so much cutting the state can do before serious harm is done, typically to the poor.

I live in a R state now that is natural resource dependent. Year after year the revenue from O&G + Coal is shrinking due to market forces and they refuse to promote policies to diversify the economy or raise taxes because they're so conservative. They don't realize that there's only so much cutting the state can do before serious harm is done, typically to the poor.
If I didn't know better I'd say you were talking about Oklahoma. They continue to cut education and oil and gas receipts continue to shrink. But the prison contractors don't see cuts in the same %.

I wasn't specifically speaking of Illinois but in general.

If I didn't know better I'd say you were talking about Oklahoma. They continue to cut education and oil and gas receipts continue to shrink. But the prison contractors don't see cuts in the same %.

I wasn't specifically speaking of Illinois but in general.

Hasn’t total public education appropriations in Oklahoma gone from $2.43B in 2018 to $3.07B in 2020? That has to be one of the largest increases percentage wise in the country.

Hasn’t total public education appropriations in Oklahoma gone from $2.43B in 2018 to $3.07B in 2020? That has to be one of the largest increases percentage wise in the country.
FY 2018 total state of OK budget was $6.848B (35% appropriated to education). FY 2020 was $7.999B (38% appropriated to education). 3% increase over 2 years is not all that in light of the fact it was largely driven by teacher walkouts and OK is still barely competitive in amount spent per per student. And education funding is $103M less when you account for inflation than FY 2008 despite there being 50k more students in public schools in OK.

It went up but not nearly enough to meet the needs of students.

FY 2018 total state of OK budget was $6.848B (35% appropriated to education). FY 2020 was $7.999B (38% appropriated to education). 3% increase over 2 years is not all that in light of the fact it was largely driven by teacher walkouts and OK is still barely competitive in amount spent per per student. And education funding is $103M less when you account for inflation than FY 2008 despite there being 50k more students in public schools in OK.

It went up but not nearly enough to meet the needs of students.

That’s a 27% increase in education spending over two years. That’s a huge increase and one of the largest in the country. How does that equate to cutting education spending ?

Reactions: maverickfp
Going from one of the bottom 3-5 in teacher pay to one of the bottom
10-15. Grats'

My state will be cutting education. They already closed several schools during the 2016-2018 budget reductions due to natural resources struggles. This year is going to be much, much worse. Oklahoma is in a better situation financially due to a slightly more diverse revenue stream.

That’s a 27% increase in education spending over two years. That’s a huge increase and one of the largest in the country. How does that equate to cutting education spending ?
The 3% increase as a total of the entire state budget was the 1st increase in more than a decade and it was forced by individuals in education because of the 10+ years of cuts. It is still lower than 2008 levels when adjusted for inflation and when you consider the 50k additional students.

Considering Oklahoma has the third lowest cost of living index in the country the 27% increase over two years was remarkable. Let’s give some credit here. Oklahoma has moved in the right direction as far education funding versus cutting the same. Give me a list of other states who have seen increases in education spending comparable to Oklahoma.

Almost all states are going to experience financial difficulties and budget cuts in 2021 due to Covid. Some are better equipped than others. However, there are some rough times ahead for state governments as they can’t simply print money like the good ole fed.

Damn........another educated middle class white guy pretending to know the struggles of the black community and pushing that Marxist/Globalist poison. I hope you are getting some of that Soros money floating around for all the bull Sh@t you talk!

Last edited:
Damn........another educated middle class white guy pretending to know the struggles of the black community and pushing that Marxist/Globalist poison. I hope you are getting some of that Soros money floating around for all the bull Sh@t you talk!
Dear God, the QAnon BS you're spouting. It's almost like you get the daily GOP talking points and spew them forth without understanding WTH they actually are saying. You've only touched on 2 out of the 5 main points this week. Marxist/globalist, Soros. Gonna try for the other 3 to go for GOP Fascist Yahtzee?

Dear God, the QAnon BS you're spouting. It's almost like you get the daily GOP talking points and spew them forth without understanding WTH they actually are saying. You've only touched on 2 out of the 5 main points this week. Marxist/globalist, Soros. Gonna try for the other 3 to go for GOP Fascist Yahtzee?
Dear Ignorant friend........let me help educate you. The BLM co-founder has stated many times she is a trained Marxist. The Open Society Foundation which is run by George Soros has donated $220 million to BLM. The truth has no party line! When you are read up, come back so we can have a real discussion!

I'm excited to hear about Trump's opinions on this.

Maybe he can have Hershel Walker come out again and pander to the African American community. Or will fox news just tell Walker to 'shut up and run'?
Umm we don’t care & neither does Trump.

Apparently they don’t care about their tv ratings, though. Well, Cuban does as he got triggered af by Don Jr.

No, I’m pretty sure the NBA is lucky they’re in a bubble bc if they weren’t, if there was no COVID, tv ratings would be worse as we’d all see half empty arenas! This year’s finals’ ratings will likely set a record for all time low!

Of course, the NBA itself probably doesn’t care - they sold their souls to the devil *cough* I mean communist China a long time ago! Fuccn loser punks!

By the way, Aston, way to display your inherent racism by misspelling Herschel Walker’s name!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT