ADVERTISEMENT

Missouri State to D1

TU Sepp

I.T.S. Athletic Director
Feb 8, 2004
This would make a great home and home rival for future scheduling...

They’ll be CUSA in 2025.

paid $5m to jump to FBS.

Good for them I guess. Conference USA is still a dumpster fire.

A little too late to the party? People are reconsidering whether they can remain DI much longer.
I actually thought the same thing. They just paid $5m to get in FBS. Who knows how much the entrance fee to Cusa was… then they’ll earn $800k or so per year from the Cusa media deal playing 4-5 Tuesday/Wednesday games.

Unless they are just sitting in piles of cash, the only way it makes sense is that there is still some hope of holding this all together.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I actually thought the same thing. They just paid $5m to get in FBS. Who knows how much the entrance fee to Cusa was… then they’ll earn $800k or so per year from the Cusa media deal playing 4-5 Tuesday/Wednesday games.

Unless they are just sitting in piles of cash, the only way it makes sense is that there is still some hope of holding this all together.
Just hoping their administration is not entering D1 with rose colored glasses, and that they see a realistic way this can get turned around.

Missouri State may have some Springfield area civic & business leaders supporting & encouraging them to make the move up.

Honestly, the TU fanbase today may be the most negative fanbase around. Collectively, we seem to see everything from a negative perspective. Every positive comment on here seems to be countered with a “here’s why that won’t happen “ or “here’s the reason we will never try that” response. I'm not actually blaming the fans.

TU desperately needs a motivated athletic department leader to get this turned around. I think & hope we have hit rock bottom and there’s good news ahead.

Last edited:
Missouri State may have some Springfield area civic & business leaders supporting & encouraging them to make the move up.

Honestly, the TU fanbase today may be the most negative fanbase around. Collectively, we seem to see everything from a negative perspective. Every positive comment on here seems to be countered with a “here’s why that won’t happen “ or “hears the reason we will never try that” response. I'm not actually blaming the fans.

TU desperately needs a motivated athletic department leader to get this turned around. I think & hope we have hit rock bottom and there’s good news ahead.
You’re 100% right. We are the most self-hating fanbase I’ve ever seen. Admittedly, I’m definitely part of that sometimes.

I think the tides would change a little if we had some sustained success similar to what we had in the Kragthorpe/Graham era. Things were not nearly as negative and people generally expected good things for the program.

Now it’s more cynical than anything. Some of that is based on things we’ve seen with our own eyes: previous university mismanagement, previous incompetence in the AD office, constantly hearing we’re less than from local and national media, and poorly performing on the feild/court.

Some of those items have been addressed, some haven’t. But either way, it’s going to take some sustained success, outward showing of commitment to athletics from the university, and probably some luck, to get the ship completely turned back to the positive direction we saw from 2003-2012.

Last edited:

They're counting on the additional traffic from the new Amtrak routes to expand their draw.

You’re 100% right. We are the most self-hating fanbase I’ve ever seen. Admittedly, I’m definitely part of that sometimes.

I think the tides would change a little if we had some sustained success similar to what we had in the Kragthorpe/Graham era. Things were not nearly as negative and people generally expected good things for the program.

Now it’s more cynical than anything. Some of that is based on things we’ve seen with our own eyes: previous university mismanagement, previous incompetence in the AD office, constantly hearing we’re less than from local and national media, and poorly performing on the feild/court.

Some of those items have been addressed, some haven’t. But either way, it’s going to take some sustained success, outward showing of commitment to athletics from the university, and probably some luck, to get the ship completely turned back to the positive direction we saw from 2003-2012.
We have some "insiders" who frequently remind us that they know more than anyone else and have access to info that nobody else has, and they constantly tell us why we suck and why we'll always suck. Of course, that info comes from the people at the school who are highly motivated to avoid blame for their performance. You can't expect someone to say, we're doing badly because I'm not good at my job and I've done a bad job. Instead they tell us all the "reasons" why nobody could have done better than them.

Reactions: Tulsafanzz

All the good news coming in from the recruiting trail, and somebody answers you afterwords, picking this time to make more complaints above. Par for the course.

No buzz on top candidates yet? I still like the ORU guy, if he's interested.

All the good news coming in from the recruiting trail, and somebody answers you afterwords, picking this time to make more complaints above. Par for the course.
I think you missed the point of my post. My point is, ignore the naysayers because they're not giving an accurate picture of where or who we are. It's literally the opposite of making more complaints. I think we internalize the negativity as a fanbase and underestimate what we can do. I think we're seeing that on the academic side where we were told our only hope was to be TCC plus, but then Brad came in and suddenly we're on a very positive path that emphasizes our ability to be a great university. I think the same thing can happen with athletics, like II said. If we get someone like Brad, with the same intelligence, creativity, positivity, vision and focus, I think we could see very positive movement. Don't listen to the people who tell us we can't do it. And try not to hate the positive message just because you hate the messenger.

I think you missed the point of my post. My point is, ignore the naysayers because they're not giving an accurate picture of where or who we are. It's literally the opposite of making more complaints. I think we internalize the negativity as a fanbase and underestimate what we can do. I think we're seeing that on the academic side where we were told our only hope was to be TCC plus, but then Brad came in and suddenly we're on a very positive path that emphasizes our ability to be a great university. I think the same thing can happen with athletics, like II said. If we get someone like Brad, with the same intelligence, creativity, positivity, vision and focus, I think we could see very positive movement. Don't listen to the people who tell us we can't do it. And try not to hate the positive message just because you hate the messenger.
Hate for you is giving yourself too much credit. Don't disguise your barb at 'people like' HuffyCane as being something magnanimous. I love someone who complains constantly about the powers that be, but always falls back on the idea that if we get somebody wonderful in their then we can have Utopia. Then says all I want is Utopia.(that never comes)

Last edited:
Hate for you is giving yourself too much credit. Don't disguise your barb at 'people like' HuffyCane as being something magnanimous. I love someone who complains constantly about the powers that be, but always falls back on the idea that if we get somebody wonderful in their then we can have Utopia. Then says all I want is Utopia.(that never comes)
I'm not a believer in utopia and anyone who has read my posts (other than you, who is blinded by negativity) knows that. I do like that in consecutive posts, you've slammed me for being constantly negative and for thinking we can achieve utopia. You've become a random insult generator toward me.

I look at what Brad is doing on the academic side. Notwithstanding your mischaracterization of me always complaining about the powers that be, I've been relentlessly positive about Brad and I think he's doing a fantastic job. I said we could be a lot more than we were, or than a glorified TCC, and I believe Brad is delivering on that. I don't expect us to be better than Yale or Harvard (utopia, I guess), I wanted us to achieve what we should be able to achieve and that the naysayers said was impossible. I feel the same on athletics. I don't think we should compete with Ohio State or Georgia but I think we can do quite a bit better than we have (and I think KW is well on his way to delivering that).

I know you'll have all kinds of vitriol for me no matter what I post but I hope others share my belief that we have a lot more to offer than we have shown recently.

Reactions: caneks
You go on convincing yourself you are positive. I'm actually pretty positive myself about the prospects for TU athletics within reason.(for the times that we live in now) So go on talking about mischaracterizations. In the whole scheme of things you are negative. That's the wonder of progressives. My insults aren't random no matter how much you would like to make them appear so. I don't know how anyone could be negative about what Brad is doing for TU. And somehow, within all that, you still come out negative, aside from a token positive you mention within your criticisms.. You might think about your vitriol for me, before you begin speaking of my vitriol for you. You were the first, and you think you will be the last. I will give you that privilege. Done

Now I will use the trick of the trade he so 'slyly' used, and finish on a positive note, after all the criticisms. Back to the topic at hand. Would be nice for Missouri St to get back to D1 status in time for us to play them in a 1 and 1. Too bad Creighton or Wichita St didn't try to pull this off a few years ago.

Missouri state actually has better facilities than a good portion of CUSA schools have.

It’s just a couple hours up the road, so it would be pretty easy football wise and would probably bring a lot of fans from both schools back and forth.

I’m not advocating for it one way or another, but there are worse option for 1-1 deals out there.

Missouri state actually has better facilities than a good portion of CUSA schools have.

It’s just a couple hours up the road, so it would be pretty easy football wise and would probably bring a lot of fans from both schools back and forth.

I’m not advocating for it one way or another, but there are worse option for 1-1 deals out there.
Make it a 2-1 in Tulsa's favor and I'm in.

How much would you hate to pay 5M to jump up only to be relegated back to almost exactly they were in a couple years one the P3 get what they want....

I think it’s worth the risk. Just as I thought the pros of SMU’s gamble outweighed the cons.
Agree 100%. Fortune favors the bold. Not the fools but the bold. SMU move was bold, not foolish.

Agree 100%. Fortune favors the bold. Not the fools but the bold. SMU move was bold, not foolish.
We lol’d at them, but it looks like they’ll be getting the last laugh as they’re playing much better brand competition and we’re playing… well… directional satellite U.

Even if those 7 ACC school find a way to maneuver out of the ACC, what’s left is still miles better than what we have here. Plus, they may pluck the remaining few peers we have left (Memphis, Tulane, and USF).

Last edited:
Reactions: drboobay
We lol’d at them, but it looks like they’ll be getting the last laugh as they’re playing much better brand competition and we’re playing… well… direction satellite U.

Even if those 7 ACC school find a way to maneuver out of the ACC, what’s left is still miles better than what we have here. Plus, they may pluck the remaining few peers we have left (Memphis, Tulane, and USF).
I'm very interested to see who we hire as AD.

Reactions: goldenhurricane2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT