ADVERTISEMENT

Michael weathers

tupatsfan

I.T.S. Junior
Dec 12, 2016
SHOCKER.

OSU isn’t kicking him off the team. Saw a tweet saying he’s coming back. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.

Reactions: Gold*
Charges have to be reduced to a misdemeanor and he has to agree to pay restitution before reinstating him to the team is a consideration. I assume these things are expected if there's talk of him returning. OSU will still suck this year but not as much "suckage" if he's available. Not a lot of talent currently on that squad.

Reactions: TULSARISING
Unfortunately beating OSU this year won't likely help our tourney resume. Next year and especially the year after will be a different story.
Any win over OSU Imo is sweet considering they think we are little brother haha

if he plays here, I hope the students are ready with an appropriate chant

if he plays here, I hope the students are ready with an appropriate chant
Unfortunately, our student section is probably oblivious to who he is or what he did.

I do remember the prison orange jumpsuits some fans wore the first-time Tarkanian brought Fresno State to Tulsa along with Chris Herren and the rest of their "gang".

I'm always up for a good clean heckling. My favorite was at Boston University when Boston College came to play right after their goalie (Scott LaGrand) got busted for point shaving the previous year. Entire student section brought a plethora of items related to gambling....lots of giant fuzzy dice in Walter Brown Arena that night.

Maybe he'll buy a round of drinks for the student section.

That’s basically all we need right there.

I don’t think the student section reads the paper or knows it’s an option. I think they get their news off Insta and Snapchat. And by news, I mean pickup lines from Barrister.

But in all seriousness, this shows again what OSU is all about. Pathetic.

I would hope TU would take the same position. Kids make mistakes. If it's the first time a kid's been in trouble of any kind and it's non-violent and in the end it's a misdemeanor and he makes restitution I would hope any school would give the kid a second chance. Whether he's a athlete, student, etc... I know I made a lot of stupid decision when I was young. Many on here want kids kicked out of school for such things in addition to the punishment handed down by the court and I understand that position. I simply don't agree when it's the kid's first violation. Now violent incidents, felonies and repeat offenders are a total different animal. Remember....OSU kicked an all-pro NFL player out of school a few years back for assaulting a woman.

Remember....OSU kicked an all-pro NFL player out of school a few years back for assaulting a woman.
Said person is making me competitive in my fantasy football league too.

OSU made the right decision in that case. I think they made the right decision in this case. Not exactly sure what the plea deal is but my guess, if he is a 1st time offender with no prior arrests or trouble outside of traffic tickets, he may have been offered deferred adjudication as well IF he completes the conditions of the plea deal by the set time as well as keeps his nose clean for a prescribed period of time. And that treatment is no different than what a lot of college students get for doing stupid things and having never been in trouble before. Reading about the incident, he did something stupid but not violent or unforgivable. Give him a chance to make amends and become a better person without destroying his future.

Reactions: Glasscain
I would hope TU would take the same position. Kids make mistakes. If it's the first time a kid's been in trouble of any kind and it's non-violent and in the end it's a misdemeanor and he makes restitution I would hope any school would give the kid a second chance. Whether he's a athlete, student, etc... I know I made a lot of stupid decision when I was young. Many on here want kids kicked out of school for such things in addition to the punishment handed down by the court and I understand that position. I simply don't agree when it's the kid's first violation. Now violent incidents, felonies and repeat offenders are a total different animal. Remember....OSU kicked an all-pro NFL player out of school a few years back for assaulting a woman.

I agree. I don't think OSU should have gotten rid of him over it. He should sit for a year though.

Reactions: t-townpod
I would be very happy if Jackson turned out to be half as productive his sophomore year as Weathers was as a true freshman. If so...look out.

Reactions: tufan-11

I agree.
Misdemeanor’s are what they are. Pay your fine or restitution, do the community service. Serve a one game suspension the first game after being found guilty. Further suspensions pending the player being on course to take care of the punishments handed down by the courts. If they stay on course, it’s all good.

I agree.
Misdemeanor’s are what they are. Pay your fine or restitution, do the community service. Serve a one game suspension the first game after being found guilty. Further suspensions pending the player being on course to take care of the punishments handed down by the courts. If they stay on course, it’s all good.
The problem is the original crime was deemed a felony. The plea agreement is he would plea to a lesser misdemeanor with whatever caveats put in place as part of the agreement. That's where things get dicey for people, especially the ones in the know. Sure, he will only have a misdemeanor on his record, but the actual crime was deemed much more serious.

Again, I am all for kids getting a 2nd chance if they've never been in trouble before and their crime wasn't violent. But I'm also not saying what he did wasn't serious nor should it be overlooked because of the plea agreement.

The problem is the original crime was deemed a felony. The plea agreement is he would plea to a lesser misdemeanor with whatever caveats put in place as part of the agreement. That's where things get dicey for people, especially the ones in the know. Sure, he will only have a misdemeanor on his record, but the actual crime was deemed much more serious.

Again, I am all for kids getting a 2nd chance if they've never been in trouble before and their crime wasn't violent. But I'm also not saying what he did wasn't serious nor should it be overlooked because of the plea agreement.

Agree with all of that. My understand is that he will pay restitution to the victim, community service and stay clean for a period of time. Pretty typical stuff. I have no clue what Weathers home situation is/was but I do think it's important that we remember many of these kids weren't afforded the same parental guidance most of us received growing up. That's obviously not an excuse but rather a consideration (at least for me) when it comes to second chances for many of these kids and the opportunity which we might be taking from them if a second chance wasn't provided. Many don't have other options to get an education outside of athletics.

Depends on what agreement is, but he probably has to admit he committed the felony and if he violates terms, they accelerate the sentence as a felony. There will be a record about this somewhere out there.

If Lawpoke and I do that, we immediately get our licenses suspended. Granted, we signed up for something different than all y’all, but there’s also an argument to hold players to a higher standard. We made Damaris sit out a year when he did something not nearly as brazen and frankly, something he likely committed to support his young family. So there’s an argument . . .

Reactions: TULSARISING
Depends what the deal is. Don’t underestimate Payne County’s ability to profiteer off youthful offenders who did nothing meaningfully wrong. Or in this case, to make some bank on someone who did something pretty $hitty . . .but hey, Gottlieb basically did the same thing before he transferred.

There was a memo from a judge in Muskogee a couple of years ago that was leaked to the press. It basically said that the prosecutors and judges need to get maximum fines to pay for the courthouse. They aren’t wrong about the math — legislature is not interested in funding a branch of government — but it sort of explains how this works. Pay them and you get to stay out of jail. Doesn’t matter if you are dirt poor. Go beg, borrow, and steal for your freedom. If you get caught again, we’ll do double or nothin’. This is not unique to Oklahoma, but shows a lot of the absurdity of this.

Moral of the story: you have to really eff it up to get kicked off the OSU basketball team. Your classmates may get a suspended sentence for taking a Xanax to a pot party, but if you can pass or dunk, we’ll find you a deal.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. The felony charge on an $85 bar bill always seemed a bit odd especially for a first time offender. I tried one criminal case when I was a pup in front of LaFortune. My client lied to me about what she did, I was green...and basically sucked. Enough of an experience for me to realize crim law was probably not my thing. Still not sure why people lie to their attorneys btw.

Thanks for the response. The felony charge on an $85 bar bill always seemed a bit odd especially for a first time offender. I tried one criminal case when I was a pup in front of LaFortune. My client lied to me about what she did, I was green...and basically sucked. Enough of an experience for me to realize crim law was probably not my thing. Still not sure why people lie to their attorneys btw.

Yeah there’s a lot of that. I also don’t understand why people get away with it when they testify. It’s a damn epidemic. I have to wonder what they do to bury the truth because it has a way of being found. I find there is a lot more power in brutal honesty.

DA dropped the felony charge. Weathers pleaded guilty today to one misdemeanor count of concealing stolen property and received a two year deferred sentence. Required to complete 100 hours of community service, pay restitution and court costs.

Means OSU should be "less bad" than if he wasn't playing. In the end this should help TU.

Last edited:
DA dropped the felony charge. Weathers pleaded guilty today to one misdemeanor count of concealing stolen property and received a two year deferred sentence. Required to complete 100 hours of community service, pay restitution and court costs.

Means OSU should be "less bad" than if he wasn't playing. In the end this should help TU.
And before anyone flies off the handle of a student athlete getting preferential treatment, IF this was his first offense and due to the non-violent nature, this is probably something any decent lawyer could get for any college student in this situation...right?

And before anyone flies off the handle of a student athlete getting preferential treatment, IF this was his first offense and due to the non-violent nature, this is probably something any decent lawyer could get for any college student in this situation...right?

I don't think a college student would have been initially charged with a felony in most counties for running up an $85 bar tab on someone else's credit card. I'm not a crim guy though. Gold would have a much better idea on this matter.

They had trouble finding the basket the other day. I watched a little over a half and wasn't too impressed considering who they were playing.
Wasn't as bad a TU v Lamar last year but it certainly wasn't pretty.

I don't think a college student would have been initially charged with a felony in most counties for running up an $85 bar tab on someone else's credit card. I'm not a crim guy though. Gold would have a much better idea on this matter.
This happened at TU with a football player. He stole some movies, video games, and a debit card from an unlocked dorm room. He spent $35 at QT on the debit card and returned the movies and video games because the person knew who took them. Had to go to court and the lawyer got them to plea down the charge of using a stolen debit card to a misdemeanor. Sat out the season and then was able to come back after completing the sentence of community service.

My point is, there are some things that get plead down for the benefit of a kid who made an absolutely stupid decision but in the end there was no violence or risk of injury to another person through their stupidity. I have witnessed it with college students before where things are worked out, they get a deferred sentence, stay clean, complete the terms of the plea agreement, and they don't have that dumb decision hanging over them for the rest of their lives. As someone who works daily with college students, I frequently wonder what the hell is going through their minds when they do stupid crap like this...and the answer is usually nothing. They didn't think about it or the consequences or how it impacts others. I'm OK with them having to deal with consequences and being able to learn from not thinking how things impact others. Hopefully this plea agreement will do that without trashing his life.

Reactions: Weatherdemon
They had trouble finding the basket the other day. I watched a little over a half and wasn't too impressed considering who they were playing.
Wasn't as bad a TU v Lamar last year but it certainly wasn't pretty.

I believe their an unanimous last place pick in the Big12. They have a fantastic recruiting class coming in next year but this year will likely be ugly.

This happened at TU with a football player. He stole some movies, video games, and a debit card from an unlocked dorm room. He spent $35 at QT on the debit card and returned the movies and video games because the person knew who took them. Had to go to court and the lawyer got them to plea down the charge of using a stolen debit card to a misdemeanor. Sat out the season and then was able to come back after completing the sentence of community service.

My point is, there are some things that get plead down for the benefit of a kid who made an absolutely stupid decision but in the end there was no violence or risk of injury to another person through their stupidity. I have witnessed it with college students before where things are worked out, they get a deferred sentence, stay clean, complete the terms of the plea agreement, and they don't have that dumb decision hanging over them for the rest of their lives. As someone who works daily with college students, I frequently wonder what the hell is going through their minds when they do stupid crap like this...and the answer is usually nothing. They didn't think about it or the consequences or how it impacts others. I'm OK with them having to deal with consequences and being able to learn from not thinking how things impact others. Hopefully this plea agreement will do that without trashing his life.

$35 was worth a lot more when you were in college.

$35 was worth a lot more when you were in college.
This was about 15-16 years ago when I worked for TU, so after my time as a student. The player in question was brought in by Boo-urns, but the mistake happened during Kragthorpe's 1st year.

DrgKnFWVAAAVHd8.jpg:large

No clue how much longer Boynton will require him to sit out. I would guess he will be playing by the Tulsa game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT