ADVERTISEMENT

Media Days and Pre-Season Poll

I think it’s closer to 3 per year. 14 in 5 years:

Reps, Dew, Hewitt, Battle, Magnay, Littlejohn, Barnes, Moore, Edogi, Falokoun, Aston, Artison, Brown, Scott

15 if you count that Canadian shooting guard that never made it to campus early in Haith’s tenure.

That sure is quite a few waisted scholarships waisted scholarships by Haith.

I forgot to type in Repichowski, and knew I was missing one(Edogi) but couldn't remember who it was. I was counting this upcoming year because of the math of losing players from the year before he got here. I didn't remember if Littlejohn was ever on campus and he wasn't really a recruit of Haith's so I wasn't counting him. But 13 players in 6 or 14 in 5 years adds up to a decent amount and gives Aston something else to ream on Haith for.(Like he needs an excuse.)

Little John was on the team during Haith’s first year it was Mitchell Wilbekin that followed Manning to Wake. I don’t really fault Haith for Littlejohn too much. I know he wasn’t his guy, but I’m not sure that even if he was his guy that he would have stuck around very long. Haith has a really poor track record on developing normal players into legitimate contributors. You either come in ready to play or you’re gone. I guess in some ways that’s good, but it certainly makes building a cohesive unit hard.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I think it’s closer to 3 per year.
14 in 5 years:

Reps, Dew, Hewitt, Battle, Magnay, Littlejohn, Barnes, Moore, Edogi, Falokoun, Aston, Artison, Brown, Scott

That sure is quite a few wasted scholarships by Haith..

The epi-i-tome (WC Fields) of futility was the 2018 class....Everyone that played
from that class (Hewitt, Barnes, Moore, and Falokun are gone....Only Jones, who
red shirted, is still here.....

That obviously won't "feed the bulldog' toward building a contender, and only the
fact that their replacements in the 2019 class have a lot more potential, may be
Haith's saving grace......

I think Haith may have his most athletic team this year, and probably his most
effective staff.....We'll see how it all turns out....

The epi-i-tome (WC Fields) of futility was the 2018 class....Everyone that played
from that class (Hewitt, Barnes, Moore, and Falokun are gone....Only Jones, who
red shirted, is still here.....

That obviously won't "feed the bulldog' toward building a contender, and only the
fact that their replacements in the 2019 class have a lot more potential, may be
Haith's saving grace......

I think Haith may have his most athletic team this year, and probably his most
effective staff.....We'll see how it all turns out....
I was really disappointed to lose Falokun. I think he would have developed into a player this year if it hadn't been for his career ending injury. The rest, I am happy with their replacements. It seems like Earley might be less of a project than Falokun.(That a good thing with Haith's pension for kicking players out after a one year tryout.)

And when it's all over with(spring signing) it will probably be 4 or 5. One or two players won't be back, whether it's injury, their decision, or Haith's. We have averaged about 2 players a year that don't return in Haith's tenure.
Is that abnormal ? I feel like 1-2 is probably right for most programs

I think there's a difference between kids transferring out because they're good and they just want minutes somewhere else, and kids transferring out because they're not good enough to play at this level.

Dew, Hewitt, Battle, Moore, Barnes, and Artison are the most egregious ones of the Freshman recruits.

I think the worst decision Haith made as head coach was redshirting Edogi during his second season. It killed our frontcourt depth and allowed Edogi to become a grad transfer with the extra year he gained. Basically we gave him a free year of academics so he could bounce to Iona and go to the NCAA's there.

On a related note, if you could ever convince Tim Cluess to leave the New York Metro, I feel like he would be a bigtime coach somewhere. Hasn't missed the postseason in 9 years. 7 NCAA appearances out of the MAAC.

Barnes, Artison, Moore, and Hewitt were all originally sophomores from JUCO. Artison left after his junior year.

Battle just wasn’t very good. Isn’t that good at App State, either.

On a related note, if you could ever convince Tim Cluess to leave the New York Metro, I feel like he would be a bigtime coach somewhere.

I read this 4 times before I realized you didn’t make up a coach named “Tim Clueless” :(

Barnes, Artison, Moore, and Hewitt were all originally sophomores from JUCO. Artison left after his junior year.

Battle just wasn’t very good. Isn’t that good at App State, either.
You're right. I was just trying to distinguish between those guys and the actual redshirts like Edogi / Scott as well as the guys that were there before Haith got here. Apologies.

First of all the ration is between 2 and 3 per year, depending on how you figure it.(Not 1-2.) Second I have the same belief as Aston, that more of them at TU are Haith's decision, than either their's or through injury. That's just a feeling not backed up by researched fact though.

First of all the ration is between 2 and 3 per year, depending on how you figure it.(Not 1-2.) Second I have the same belief as Aston, that more of them at TU are Haith's decision, than either their's or through injury. That's just a feeling not backed up by researched fact though.
Where are Stat Jesse and CTT when you need them?

I would have to assume at least a couple of them had something to do with grades as well, but that’s just speculation.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I feel like we have said this every year for the last 3 years

I think last year Haith said it was his "best shooting" team. (Even though the shooting was still subpar)

Idk what the board said.
I kind of agree with both assessments, it's a prove it kind of deal. But I feel like it may be different this year. Especially on the effective staff, defense, athleticism stuff. I am a little less certain about the shooting.

I kind of agree with both assessments, it's a prove it kind of deal. But I feel like it may be different this year. Especially on the effective staff, defense, athleticism stuff. I am a little less certain about the shooting.

My two biggest concerns heading into this season:

1. Shooting
2. Who is the Go To guy(s). It’s going to take a lot from newcomers to replace Taplin and Jeffries.

I am excited by the defense comments I’ve heard hear and from TU people. Should FINALLY see more man to man. And Wainright is the real deal, my slight concern is if he is ready to coach again after being retired. Does he have the fire? It will go one of time ways, IMO, either good or bad.

My biggest concern is will Embery be available. A basketball team can't afford to have 2 guys sitting for redshirts plus a few more that are likely to ride the pine.

There's a rumor that Haywood II is going to get a waiver, which would be surprising if Embery doesn't. But I agree with LEC and go with the positive that it allows Embery to fully recover.

We can really use Haywood's shooting prowess this season. Hopefully that's a possibility (though it wouldn't surprise me for Pastner to try and screw us over just like Arkansas did)

I'm glad Embery has time to recover, but really it's just the principal of not giving him a waiver that irks me. He should be able to play this season, and if he needed to be redshirted due to academics or injury that should have been his choice to make. But taking away his choice is terrible.

I'm glad Embery has time to recover, but really it's just the principal of not giving him a waiver that irks me. He should be able to play this season, and if he needed to be redshirted due to academics or injury that should have been his choice to make. But taking away his choice is terrible.

I agree 100% the principal of the matter is that it is f'ing BS to be denied

We can really use Haywood's shooting prowess this season. Hopefully that's a possibility (though it wouldn't surprise me for Pastner to try and screw us over just like Arkansas did)

Pastner and GaTech don't have much ground to stand on in denying waivers right now. They just go put on probation. If Haywood simply said "I knew what was going on and I didn't want to be around that any longer", what the hell is the NCAA supposed to say?

Did we put a waiver in for Haywood? The scrimmage that was open to the public he looked liked a good shooter

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT