ADVERTISEMENT

Luke Skipper

The WRs seemed engaged in the game which is a big difference.

Monty's confidence in Skipper's passing ability seems pretty apparent to me as the play calling changed once he entered the game. Add Stokes to the mix and I think you will see a game against Houston much like the offense played against them last year.

I still worry about our D against Houston. We have no answers on that side of the ball and no one capable of (or maybe willing) to make a big play.
Most of those defensive players that get on the field right now don't have the physicality, strength or speed to do well against most the teams Tulsa has left. Tulsa might do ok against SMU, Temple or UCONN as long TU out scores them. But will get just destroyed against UH, Memphis and USF.

Last edited:
Gus survived 14 yrs in the NFL... where is Mathewson?
Thank you for saying what I wanted to say. Don't forget Gus was a 7th round draft pick who beat the #4 overall pick out for the starter's job in Washington too. Gus was pretty damn good his two years as a starter. '92 wasn't as good as '93 but Chris Penn made a lot of QBs look really good.

Don't forget that a couple wide receivers had passes bounce off their open hands and chest when found WIDE OPEN by Skipper at least twice. Our wide receivers left at least 2 TDs out there because they couldn't catch a cold. I thought he looked like a natural in there the way he releases the ball. Maybe because it was juxtaposed to President's passes, which seemed wobbly and lingered like a filibuster in mid-air until the defense got into place to knock the living crap outta our WRs or intercept.
...and his TD run also shows he understands the principles of the RPO offense. Hell I was looking at Brewer and yelling Touchdown and the pile, the announcers were saying the thought Brewer was in and there is Skipper walking into the end zone with the ball and the Tulane players looked at him like he was Houdini.

Watch Brewer and Brooks start to find big holes if Skipper stays at QB. The threat of us being able to pass the ball will open up the run game again.

Reactions: TU 1978
Name one big game he won while here. They didn't call him Gus Forgot for nothing.

Even Tad Jones best Missouri.
Name one big game (that ended up mattering) that TU won from 1992 until 2002 when Kragthorpe got here? I say that mattered because we won some games against OSU, OU, and Iowa in there, yet then we'd lose 6-7 straight against crap teams.

Name one big game he won while here. They didn't call him Gus Forgot for nothing.

Even Tad Jones best Missouri.

Name 1 Tulsa quarterback other than Jerry Rhome that played as much in the league than Gus. Or went to the pro bowl. As a qb.

He threw for almost 6000 yds at Tulsa with a rating of 107.

Lest you forget, we were an independent at that time and our facilities were worse than Beggs High School.

Name 1 Tulsa quarterback other than Jerry Rhome that played as much in the league than Gus. Or went to the pro bowl. As a qb.

He threw for almost 6000 yds at Tulsa with a rating of 107.

Lest you forget, we were an independent at that time and our facilities were worse than Beggs High School.

The rumbling that you hear is former Tulsa fans rolling over in their graves as Gus was just compared to Jerry Rhome. That may be a first.

I was always less impressed by his passing yardage and more concerned with his TD/Pick 6 ratio. He may also be the only player in memory to have a knife jammed into his door with a Go Home sign attached. I don't think anyone could get away with that today though.

And I don't think subpar facilities caused him to confuse which color jerseys we were wearing on game day.

Anyway, my original point was that I hope Skipper starts this week, but coaches do sometimes have the tendency to not put the players on the field that give us the best chance to win.

Reactions: TU 1978
The rumbling that you hear is former Tulsa fans rolling over in their graves as Gus was just compared to Jerry Rhome. That may be a first.

I was always less impressed by his passing yardage and more concerned with his TD/Pick 6 ratio. He may also be the only player in memory to have a knife jammed into his door with a Go Home sign attached. I don't think anyone could get away with that today though.

And I don't think subpar facilities caused him to confuse which color jerseys we were wearing on game day.

Anyway, my original point was that I hope Skipper starts this week, but coaches do sometimes have the tendency to not put the players on the field that give us the best chance to win.

I helped Gus with his class work. In the words of Forrest Gump.. he was not a smart man. He dated my Suite Mates little sister.. so I bet I know who wielded the knife.

But, I also know that his arm was touched by the gods and had he played anywhere other than Tulsa (read P5) that he would have likely been a first round pick.

I remember going to college station and losing 19-9. Not because of Gus, but because Rader got too conservative in goal line offense. I remember Gus getting hit so often and hard in the pocket that he barely knew his name the next week at Kansas.

I remember the OSU game that we lost because he threw 3 pick sixes. I remember him also throwing for 3 tds in that game and a kicker missing extra points. My friends told me later that he was still having headaches from AnM. It was the third P5 game in as many weeks.

He wasn’t perfect. But I would take him over skipper or president in the offense we want to run.

Name one big game (that ended up mattering) that TU won from 1992 until 2002 when Kragthorpe got here? I say that mattered because we won some games against OSU, OU, and Iowa in there, yet then we'd lose 6-7 straight against crap teams.

You're kind of making my point. We were able to beat OU, OSU twice, Missouri and Iowa during that time frame but none of those were when we had a future NFL Pro Bowler at QB.

Believe it was "only" 2 p-6's to OSU linebackers & we still had a chance to beat them as a Ferotte pass was knocked down in their end-zone at the gun.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Believe it was "only" 2 p-6's to OSU linebackers & we still had a chance to beat them as a Ferotte pass was knocked down in their end-zone at the gun.

I thought it was 3.. because OSU only got 3 pts on offense that day.. a FG that bounced off the crossbar..

I remember the OSU game that we lost because he threw 3 pick sixes. I remember him also throwing for 3 tds in that game and a kicker missing extra points.

Yes, that was the infamous "Dammit Gus We're Wearing White" game. I remember it well. Fortunately, Gus's 3rd pick 6 was called back by penalty so he only had two. OSU scored their 3rd TD that night on a blocked punt and won 24-19.

We only scored 2 TDs that game, not 3, and both were rushing. We had a missed FG but no missed PAT, except for a failed 2 point attempt.

The game ended with the Matheson kid throwing into the endzone, not Gus.

Last edited:
I helped Gus with his class work. In the words of Forrest Gump.. he was not a smart man. He dated my Suite Mates little sister.. so I bet I know who wielded the knife.

But, I also know that his arm was touched by the gods and had he played anywhere other than Tulsa (read P5) that he would have likely been a first round pick.

I remember going to college station and losing 19-9. Not because of Gus, but because Rader got too conservative in goal line offense. I remember Gus getting hit so often and hard in the pocket that he barely knew his name the next week at Kansas.

I remember the OSU game that we lost because he threw 3 pick sixes. I remember him also throwing for 3 tds in that game and a kicker missing extra points. My friends told me later that he was still having headaches from AnM. It was the third P5 game in as many weeks.

He wasn’t perfect. But I would take him over skipper or president in the offense we want to run.
Gus was funny as hell too. He was good friends with my roommate the last year they were both at TU ('93-'94). Gus took way too many hits and because concussions and the protocol were not buzz words because the NFL hadn't been sued yet, he still played a lot and probably had trouble remembering where he was at the end of the game. He had a ton of arm talent and he could read a defense given more than 1.5 seconds in the pocket. That's the reason he stuck around for 14 years in the NFL. I know one of my good friends was a Vikings fan who was ecstatic when Culpepper got hurt and Gus was the starter for 6 or so weeks. Randy Moss' production was super high because Gus knew he could just throw it high and he would go up and get it and Culpepper never truly trusted that.

Unfortunately for Gus, he will always be remembered for head butting the concrete wall in Giants Stadium which knocked him cold and forced him out of that game which the Redskins ended up tying and ultimately missing the playoffs because of it.

Remember, Gus did not have Chris Penn or the 1st string RB in 1992. Penn sat out with academic issues and I believe Ron Jackson had to sit out as well. In '93 I believe Penn had 110+ catches and may have been in the top 3 in receiving yards in the NCAA. '92 was sort of a wash for TU in football as there were a ton of close games against good teams and they couldn't get over the hump to win any of them. That A&M game, the KU game (vs. Dana Stubblefield...that team had a great defense), plus some others where a couple of things went bad and TU just didn't get it done. The '93 team was fun to watch though. Lots of talent out there.

The 93 team was incredibly frustrating. Great passing yards from Gus and Penn in many games, and Penn led the nation in receiving. The team was 3-3 on the road and didn't play a bad game on the road.

Ark game was memorable for being played in a monsoon. A Hog fan gave us free 50 yard line seats before the game. I couldn't have been more wet if I had fallen in a swimming pool.

But at home, there were no D1 wins. 1-3-1. Beat Middle Tennessee. Tied Southern Miss. The 16-10 loss to a bad OSU team was embarassing and inexcusable. Losing to Cindy was bad. Got kicked on thanksgiving 28-0 by Schnellenberger. And to think I missed the Leon Lett snow game in Dallas for that game! TU should have been better than 4-6-1.

The 93 team was incredibly frustrating. Great passing yards from Gus and Penn in many games, and Penn led the nation in receiving. The team was 3-3 on the road and didn't play a bad game on the road.

Ark game was memorable for being played in a monsoon. A Hog fan gave us free 50 yard line seats before the game. I couldn't have been more wet if I had fallen in a swimming pool.

But at home, there were no D1 wins. 1-3-1. Beat Middle Tennessee. Tied Southern Miss. The 16-10 loss to a bad OSU team was embarassing and inexcusable. Losing to Cindy was bad. Got kicked on thanksgiving 28-0 by Schnellenberger. And to think I missed the Leon Lett snow game in Dallas for that game! TU should have been better than 4-6-1.
I was at that game vs Louisville. That was game Jeremy Bunch hit Jeff Brohm late near the sideline, Brohm tried to jump the TU bench and caught his toe on the top and went head first into the concrete wall and was out cold for 10+ minutes.

We sat in the first row of the student section...that day was pick a seat day. Remember talking smack to the fat little FG kicker for Louisville at halftime and he started back with “Scoreboard” and that was a huge mistake. Halftime score was UL 6 TU 0 at half because the fat little ogre kicker missed his PAT. We ripped him hard. He never came closer than 20 yards to where we were sitting.

Schnellenberger also told us to STFU coming out of the locker room at half time. He was wearing a bright red sweater and his brilliant white hair and mustache...and we just started singing “Here comes Santa Claus”

That season was frustrating in terms of Wins and Losses.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT