ADVERTISEMENT

Libertarian vs democractic freedom and Janis Joplin

Pardon me for alterring the thread from that confusing and disinteresting minutae filled article, but allow me to give an observation on the results of the "protests" or more specifically "riots".

The people and elected officials of Baltimore are committing economic suicide that will last for decades. There is not a single business I can think of that would want to locate in a city run by a govt who supports the mob and ignores gang violence in any form. Those burned out stores and hoodlums who run freely in the streets at night will never be productive members of society. But what is worse than that is they are being cheered on by the local lieberal govt authorities who are sworn to uphold the laws they are encouraging be broken.

We are seeing first hand what occurs when the lieberals attempt to install Utopia - it actually results in Distopian anarchy and disfunction.

IMO

Last edited:
There is one key element of the Libertarian approach that appeals to me and that is its recognition that (as one WSJ poster put it): "The only difference between a republican and a democrat is which special interest, welfare or weapons, they are going to feed. They talk about trillions like it was theirs or that they made it. Leaches with unhealthy and insecure egos. "

Until we get the big money out of political elections, we will continue to be "Special Interests, Inc" run by a small group of immensely rich who rig the game for themselves. Or as one OP-Ed piece in the WSJ commented: "Lawmakers love to talk about the little guy, but their policies routinely favor the big and powerful." http://www.wsj.com/articles/how-washington-punishes-small-business-1431040539

Obama haters love to blame this economy on Obama or ignore the pernicious effects of our becoming an oligarchical society , all the while turning a blind eye to the bought and sold group that makes the rules of the game.

Last edited:
We're going to see over $4B spent on the 2016 presidential election with both candidates personally courting millions and millions in SuperPac money. Yet no one seems to care and only a few realize that these millions come at a price to be paid back once the election is won.

I have a fundamental problem with assuming all (or even most) rioters truly have this underlying ulterior motive and desire to make political/economic/social statements vs a simple urge to be violent when an excuse arises.

I think the vast majority of unaffected Americans recognize need for discussion, debate, improvements and it's such a shame when that conversation becomes overshadowed by destruction. My heart hurts for the many people of Baltimore that don't condone that behavior but truly want to improve their city. We're talking about them instead of Freddie Gray.

I also can't wrap my head around the geographic aspect of this. Did Tulsa riot after the Good Friday random black killings? How about the Bob Bates killing of Eric Harris? Nope, the city united behind law enforcement and the Good Friday shooters were quickly apprehended. The media is continuing to keep heat on the sheriffs office and a judge granted the opportunity to petition to possibly remove Glanz from office. (I'll share that info here after I find out more tomorrow...I have a contact number to call.)

You don't think there are people in this city with the same lot in life and anger as Baltimore rioters? Yet here people refrain from rioting violence and black and white attempt to come together to find justice. Clearly it wasn't always that way but somewhere along the line Tulsans evolved.

Things came out different here for a number of reasons. First, the happenings was so clear. Someone yelled taser then shot a person dead. This lead to the DA filing charges immediately.

Second, not only was the black community angered but the white community was also. And not just liberals but also conservatives, independents, and people who don't normal follow politics.

I would also add that the 1921 race riot here was one of the worst in US history. People "remember" it regardless of race. No, no one remember it personally [or at least very few] but there is a community awareness. When I was in school it wasn't ever mentioned. The Tulsa Tribune from that day is the only one not on file. The story came out. Older relatives had always told bits and pieces to myself and others. I believe there is a museum. Nobody wants anything approaching that.

So now, let's see a new Sheriff and the legal process work on Bates. So far, everyone has behaved reasonably all around...well, except for Glanz.

Yes the swift manslaughter charge was good too.

And I definitely agree about the sensitivity on not repeating history here. I'm frequently impressed with our black community leadership in this city and how they lead during crisis.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT