ADVERTISEMENT

John Stossel on the Militarization of Police Forces....

Texas police chief shot, killed during traffic stop
---------------------------------
Where is the outrage?
Where are the TV cameras?
Wher is al sharpton?
Where is the aclu?
Where are the riots?

Maybe if the officer had been protected in an armored vehicle, he would still be alive.

No justice, no peace!

Re: Oklahoma Gov's point of view

Originally posted by URedskin54:
If I were a business owner trying to defend my property with just my weapon, I don't think I'd mind seeing the police show up in an armored vehicle. I don't have a problem with police departments having this kind of equipment and using it as long as it gets used properly(ie situations where there is an unusually high risk to the lives of the officers).

This post was edited on 8/21 12:39 PM by URedskin54
While that makes sense, the problem lies in poor training, poor judgement and the willingness to over use weaponry (aka if you give a guy a tool, he is bound to use it). Unfortunately in cases like this, the only one who will be 'punished' is the victim of the misuse.

Good thing they didn't have a tank....

Re: Oklahoma Gov's point of view

And I don't have a problem with them using it. It just needs to be used in the right situations and like you said, with proper training. No problem with it being used in a riot or in a situation where police are likely to be harmed. Mistakes will always happen and safety of the police should obviously be balanced with the amount of damage the police will inflict if they make a mistake. I just don't have any problem with it being applied in ferguson. Many people have made the argument that since police officers serve a different purpose than military(which at times is debatable) they should not be equipped like the military. However, I think it goes both ways. I don't think the expectation of the necessity to "die for their country" is inherent in their job(though they know the risks) so I think there is an even greater responsibility to prevent harm to a police officer than there should be a soldier. And oftentimes an officer's job is more dangerous.

This post was edited on 8/29 7:03 PM by URedskin54

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT