ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Mixon Video

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
So the Oklahoma Court of Civil Appeals has ruled that the video showing Joe Mixon punch the girl in the face is a public record and should be released. 1st, Mixon's side will undoubtedly appeal this ruling. 2nd...if it does get released before next season, does OU cut Mixon loose even after standing by him this past season?

Reactions: Rippin
I'm not sure they will file a petition for cert on this round. It has been remanded to hear a particular issue. I really doubt that the Oklahoma Supreme Court will do anything until the actual issue has been heard. It's really hard to get the Oklahoma Supreme Court to do anything these days and I dont think it's worth the time and troubled until the actual issue has been heard below. Unless the Court of Civil Appeals decision is a stinker, this will go back to the trial court.

If they lose again, then they will appeal. And by the time that is decided, Mixon will be getting ready for the Combine and the video won't come out until after the second appeal is over. Just watch.

As to question two, no. They made their bed on this one. Boren gives zero fs.

The restaurant that the incident occurred in has "destroyed" their copy of the video.

I wonder how much it cost to have that copy destroyed? In that it took place in public and it was their video concerning an adult, I can't think of a reason why they couldn't do with it as they pleased. Maybe just pressure from OU fans to bury the evidence (as opposed to releasing the tape and standing on the character of their young men)?

I'm all for kid screwing up and getting second, third, or fourth chances. I don't trust a kid that hasn't been caught doing something stupid. But punching out your girlfriend isn't stupid, it abhorrent. I guess doing it in public was stupid...

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
My understanding is the court has a copy (although they are claiming they don't know where it is) as it was entered into evidence for review by the DA. The news outlets are arguing that this evidence is no open for review by the public under FOIA and that is what the appeals court basically stated and as is common, they are remanding the case back to the original court with this new guidance for how to treat the video. Gold, since you are an attorney, what would happen to a DA's office for intentionally destroying evidence as a condition of a booster at OU giving them a generous donation?

Would Stoops, Castiglione, and Boren get through this if/when the video is released and the public goes into shock and awe mode similar to how it did when the Ray Rice video was released? Remember....we know exactly what is on this video...Mixon and a girl getting in an argument and Mixon cold cocking her and breaking her face. Just like we knew exactly what was on the Rice tape...he punched his girlfriend (now wife) so hard it knocked her out and him dragging her out of the elevator. Nothing on the Rice tape was different that what was shared in the NFL discipline hearing or the ESPN reports. I don't think the Mixon video will show anything that we don't already know but for some reason not seeing the video makes his actions less heinous (otherwise OU wouldn't be fighting so hard to keep it out of the public eye). Not only would the video open OU (and the parties named above) to extreme public criticism especially in light of how swiftly and harshly Boren reacted to the SAE video, but it would likely meet with harsh reaction and criticism from NFL scouts and teams and likely stick Mixon with an inexcusable black mark and derail any possible NFL career before it even got started.

I wonder how much it cost to have that copy destroyed? In that it took place in public and it was their video concerning an adult, I can't think of a reason why they couldn't do with it as they pleased. Maybe just pressure from OU fans to bury the evidence (as opposed to releasing the tape and standing on the character of their young men)?

I'm all for kid screwing up and getting second, third, or fourth chances. I don't trust a kid that hasn't been caught doing something stupid. But punching out your girlfriend isn't stupid, it abhorrent. I guess doing it in public was stupid...
And it wasn't his girfriend...it was a random drunk someone who said something stupid and got under his skin...supposedly she went to slap him and that is when he punched her and broke her face (Ray Rice knocked his girlfriend out).

The funny thing about this is the victim was a social media addict prior to this... Now there is nothing.. No prior surgery pictures, no post surgery pictures, no photos in other people's media, nothing .. Just like she disappeared.

Nothing in the press.. No stories of her current college...

The terms of the OU payoff must be lucrative.

The funny thing about this is the victim was a social media addict prior to this... Now there is nothing.. No prior surgery pictures, no post surgery pictures, no photos in other people's media, nothing .. Just like she disappeared.

Nothing in the press.. No stories of her current college...

The terms of the OU payoff must be lucrative.
Was she a former student at OU? If so where was the news regarding their Title IX investigation?

Not a sexual assault
I don't believe Title IX is restricted to sexual assault. All students regardless of gender are afforded an equal opportunity to pursue their education free from harassment or menacing by another student. While an investigation probably would not find any specific title IX violations, the fact the young lady left the university community probably warranted an investigation to be sure.

Working in academia, universities usually err on the side of caution and will conduct an initial title IX investigation to make sure. Better on that side than where Tennessee and Florida State find themselves.

It's not harassment either. But way to play intertron lawyer.

You don't think she might have been harassed after the incident? A star football player was in jeopardy.

If that happened, it's likely not a Title IX issue, but a law enforcement issue. You are talking about someone other than Mixon harassing her.

Does it make a difference for Title IX if the incident happened on or off campus?

Does it make a difference for Title IX if the incident happened on or off campus?
No. The university has an obligation to ensure that a student has the right to pursue their education without undue pressure or fear from another student. A student doesn't cease to be a student just because they left the physical boundaries of campus for a little bit.

I think the Court will issue a protective order in the new civil case barring the release of the tape for the rest of Mixon's career. There is precedent for Oklahoma courts doing completely weird things with discovery protective orders. See the Shadid and Hamm cases.

You are probably right.

I think the big story in this for a good investigative journalist is the uncovering of all the efforts and payoffs by university, govt officials, and boosters to keep the video out of the public eye.

The Mixon case is in federal court CA. Don't have the bandwidth to figure out how that would play out. I imagine there is a potentially interesting argument on diversity jurisdiction in the future.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT