ADVERTISEMENT

Jerry O is coming home

It was announced that he will be the Director of Premium Seating. One question....WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?

Does it mean he's going out looking for high dollar sponsors and donors and seat licensees? I'd be happy if he could get half of those seats filled. People may be ponying up the donation cash for those locations, they're just not making it a priority to use those seats.

It was announced that he will be the Director of Premium Seating. One question....WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?

Does it mean he's going out looking for high dollar sponsors and donors and seat licensees? I'd be happy if he could get half of those seats filled. People may be ponying up the donation cash for those locations, they're just not making it a priority to use those seats.

Sounds like a glad hander. Probably a heavy public relations/business relations spot. Maybe a promoter type position?

Just happy to have him involved directly with the university.

I suggested earlier we make him AD (wish we had power lol) and get someone to handle the administration level stuff he would need time to figure out. Doing it in reverse is fine. If Jerry O becomes the face of athletics I think that's great.

I would still prefer him as the main man though. Deep love for the school and get it done attitude in that man. I'll take my chances on that kind of leader any day.

At least we will have a face to connect to the athletic department at events. A loyal and beloved one to boot. He’ll certainly do a great job of connecting with the fan base and community. In other words he’ll clean up one part of what Gragg really sucks at.

I suggested earlier we make him AD (wish we had power lol) and get someone to handle the administration level stuff he would need time to figure out. Doing it in reverse is fine. If Jerry O becomes the face of athletics I think that's great.

I would still prefer him as the main man though. Deep love for the school and get it done attitude in that man. I'll take my chances on that kind of leader any day.
Agreed. And the athletic department already has a plethora of associate ADs who do all the administrative stuff.

Agreed. And the athletic department already has a plethora of associate ADs who do all the administrative stuff.

It's ok, baby steps. The administration just needs to make sure they don't sour this relationship like they did Largent. Tulsa produces talent, but not so many that we can afford to be casual or even oblivious of the relationships.

Largent could have been an amazing AD at a critical time in Tulsa history. Say what you want about his political views but the man plays the game very well and is an awesome fundraiser. Those two skills could have benefited Tulsa greatly.

Jerry O is just a remarkable guy. Incredibly likeable, very comfortable in any setting. He's also been successful and earned everything he has ever got. That's determination and work ethic. It also happens to be that he loves this place. I couldn't be happier to see him there in an official capacity where he can put his abilities to work for the school.

I wonder if Jerry is going to keep his tailgate spot!
Great to have him aboard.

I wonder if Jerry is going to keep his tailgate spot!
Great to have him aboard.
Is he over by BT? I can only imagine if a formal TU employee was out there among the people in a prime spot and providing that amount of alcohol :)

He is on 8th St. or Glen Dobbs St, just north of the stadium. One can see the field and score board from his tailgate.

He is on 8th St. or Glen Dobbs St, just north of the stadium. One can see the field and score board from his tailgate.
That's where I thought he was. BT has one over near him I think (unless they share a spot).

No telling what Jerry will do. I'm sure he will start will the elementary and junior high students to get them in the seat and tour the athletic facilities. Start parties and activities before the game. That's just a few.

Reactions: TU1NNJ
Grooming for ad
Jerry is a great guy. He definitely has the public relations and marketing skills necessary to be successful working in the Athletic Department. I think the piece he will have to learn as he moves up (he definitely will move up) is the quote in quote business side of the house and politics. That part just takes time and experience. If he has the patience and stomach to deal with the BS the academic side of the house at TU will throw his way, the sky is really the limit. I also would love to see Austin Chadwick be added to the Athletic Department in some capacity.

Reactions: TU Sepp
Jerry-O will do a great job and I think he might be more business savvy than many think. All those years in the pros and then making Tulsa his home, he probably already has more connections than Gragg. I am excited to see what he is going to bring to the table. I always thought TU should had gone after Wes Hamilton when he retired from the Vikings.

Reactions: TU4ever2
He also had a massive gambling problem...
Massive may be a bit overstated. Massive gambling problem usually refers to someone who is betting more than they can afford to lose to the point they go into debt because of said gambling issues. As far as we know Ross' activity was no more than what many sports fans do when they place bets on games through Vegas or off shore bookmakers.

My guess is Ross did that activity through the bookie he did to remain anonymous knowing full well it was a violation of NCAA rules. Ross' particular issue is that his name appeared in a bookie's book as having placed a bet on college athletics and said bookie got investigated for tax evasion and racketeering by the Feds.

Austin needs to be part of the marketing team. He really has done well for himself in that area. VYPE really does well and he has helped build that into a recognizable publication statewide.

TU's marketing problem is it is a different person/team of people trying to market TU athletics every year on probably 1/4 of the amount of $ they should be throwing behind it. They've got to get the local TV sports reporters on TV more involved and more in tune. Cayden McFarland at channel 2 is where they need to start (as we know channel 6 is in OSU's pocket). Hit Fox 23 hard. Does channel 8 even have a sports dept. any more? Next, send promos to Peachjar to all of the public schools in the area. Each week run a different promo for elementary school kids that come to the game. Giveaways that might get them bonus points in class for civic and community involvement/support. More appearances by TU cheerleaders at local community events like Drillers/Roughneck games.

Passive marketing campaigns just don't do it. Chris needs to be on the radio with the Sports Animal or Poplin every week or more. Get some more local businesses involved with discount promotions passed out after you go through the gate. And for heaven's sake, someone in good with QT needs to get them on board. There are no QTs in Norman or Stillwater. More advertising and promos for the local Native American tribes. There are a TON of unique opportunities for TU to partner with the local community and they keep using the "For our city" slogan yet someone is dropping the ball in getting "the city" involved outside of a few PR moments with the mayor.

Yes, would be nice for QT to step up. Maybe they do it and we don't know about it.

Last edited:
Yes, would be nice for TU to step up. Maybe they do it and we don't know about it.
If the diehards don't know about it then how can you possibly expect someone with no connection to TU to know what is happening when they aren't looking for it. Most of the marketing is passive. Billboards throughout the city, passive twitter and FB ads. It needs to be more direct and more active. For instance, Clancy takes the Mutt and the cheerleaders to local HS to personally hand students their acceptance letters. You can do this to market your athletics too. We all know how GIANT youth football is in this area. USE THAT. Have a few players show up at Jenks youth football practices. Same with Union, Bixby, etc. I'm telling you, START with the kids and get them to bug their parents. My son wanted to go to football games because Charles Davis gave him his arm band after a game when we were on the field to sing the alma mater. My son was 4 or 5 then, he's 13 now and still has that arm band. Better giveaways at the gates, like TU football jerseys for youth. You only need to get them to a game once to get them hooked, especially if what they see on the field is quality and feels big time.

Reactions: TU Sepp
Another thing on Jerry O. His new position came up in one of the Facebook chats about the recent program cuts. Whoever posted said "They're cutting programs but they have enough money to hire a Director of Premium Seating?" before railing on what that position even means.

Another thing on Jerry O. His new position came up in one of the Facebook chats about the recent program cuts. Whoever posted said "They're cutting programs but they have enough money to hire a Director of Premium Seating?" before railing on what that position even means.
That is an argument for the complete opposite. Hiring a celeb of the program in the face of cuts is a wise move for a program struggling financially. He/she should have been put in their place quickly.

I bet that position will pay for itself and probably two or three other salaries within the athletic department!

Reactions: Tulsafanzz
I bet that position will pay for itself and probably two or three other salaries within the athletic department!
I know this...but there are a lot of willfully ignorant people making comments on FB and other social media areas who are clueless to the mutual benefit academics and athletics provide for one another. Jerry's appointment is probably an overall net zero for the university's total budget and a positive for athletics as a whole.

Reactions: TUMU
Short video with Jerry O saying he is coming home and what he'll be doing. Ambassador for the school, wants to share Tulsa with people and what the program means.

Talks about his work ethic being a pillar to his success, the position has a title and a job, but he will be fluid within the department and help out where ever he can.

This man loves Tulsa...ladies and gentlemen I give you *our future AD at a TBA date.

I am estatic.

*Talk type, getting lazy with my ennuciation....

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT