ADVERTISEMENT

Isaiah Hill

Bill Lowery

ITS Recruiting Analyst
Staff
Sep 29, 2001
Although Bakersfield Liberty HS lost their opening game, Tulsa commit Isaiah Hill did his part, scoring over half of his team’s points.

·
Nov 24

Basketball final A battle of two Top 10 Pag Meter teams No 4 Clovis East 77 No 6 Liberty Bakersfield 61 T Wolves,Shawno Roberts 19, Tyler Pacheco and William Wiggins each with 13 points Patriots, Isaiah Hill 31 pts

Hill scores 35 in home opening win for Liberty
BY TREVOR HORN/thorn@bakersfield.com

The nerves were there for the players, but the one person in the Liberty gym with the most might have been head coach Matt Bhone.

Just three weeks into his first varsity head coaching position, Bhone’s nerves quickly dissipated as senior standout Isaiah Hill hit five 3-pointers in the first half as the Patriots beat visiting Clovis-Buchanan 82-53 in the home opener.

“This is my first trip at the varsity level. There was a lot of nerves and a lot of anxiety,” Bhone said. “But it was good anxiety. We’ve had a good three weeks of practice. These kids have really come in and worked their butts off for us. I am super excited. We will have a good shot at a lot of people in town.”

Hill scored 20 of his game-high 35 points in the first half where 10 different Patriots (1-1) players scored before intermission.

“It can’t be just me scoring. It’s got to be the whole team,” Hill said. “It’s a team sport. That’s the only way we are going to win. It really made me happy that everyone got on the board.”

Jackson Campbell added 17 for the Patriots.

“Jackson in double-figures, that’s big,” Hill said. “He played great. The whole team did.”

Tyler Smith hit a 3-pointer on the opening possession and then Hill scored the next eight for Liberty on two from long range and a layup as the Patriots led 24-8 late in the first quarter.

“Isaiah is a super special player,” Bhone said. “It makes it really easy when he is hitting. Then everyone else gets involved because of him. It’s tough to defend when you’ve got 10 guys that are scoring like that. He did a great job distributing. It was a great effort from him and the rest of the guys tonight.”

Liberty went into the half with a 53-22 lead after Lukas Kim hit a 3 in the waning seconds of the second quarter.

Buchanan (1-1) made a run in the third as Karan Gill scored 10 of his team-high 14 points in the third as the Bears cut the once 33-point lead to 62-44.

But Hill came out in the fourth quarter with nine of the first 11 points for Liberty and the Patriots held off the Bears from there.

“The first home game. Everyone came out. It was a great turnout,” Hill said. “We had to put on a show for the hometown and the school. I hope they come back after we went out there and took care of business.”

Hill scored 31 in the 77-61 season-opening loss on the road at Clovis East on Saturday. But knowing this was his final home opener before he heads off to Tulsa next season, Hill knew there was something more in the Patriots.

“It was a little bit of everything,” Hill said. “This is the last time I will be out here this year before I go to Tulsa. I just have to give it everything I’ve got. Hopefully lead my team and we come together. We can be as good as we want to be. We could go deep. We have all of the pieces.”

Reactions: eastcane
That kid has a point guards mentality. His comments are all about how the team works together and what he needs to do to make it work.

Our back courts are beginning to really resemble the sort of guards Tulsa experienced a ton of success with.

High IQ, sum is greater than the parts, unselfish play makers. Future looks bright.

I think the story about him being the best signee in recent years may be true. With Phipps too we could have the best guard combo in the AAC. And yes we need a big time rebounder and shot blocker inside. Falokun is really good but we can use another as good or better who is ready as a freshman.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
Hill scores 40 in a 4 point OT loss.

Tulsa Bound Isaiah Hill #Liberty drops 40 points tonight
@itsisaiahhill
@cambeverly_

Edward Turner scored nine of his 20 points in overtime as Foothill beat Liberty, 84-80, in their Wednesday opener at the Lloyd Williams/Kern Schools Federal Credit Union Shootout at North High.

Turner's heroics spoiled a 40-point performance by Isaiah Hill, who hit a layup with 22 seconds left in regulation. Foothill tied the game with two seconds remaining in regulation, as Jaden Phillips hit two free throws.

Phillips had a team-high 30 points for the Trojans.

Ceasar Valdez scored 20 of his 23 points in the first half for Foothill.

Hector Gonzalez added 13 for the Patriots.

We have never had a signee score in those numbers that I'm seeing. Is there any video ?

Reactions: Weatherdemon
Here's what I love about Hill...the adaptability of his game. When he's on the floor with high level scorers (AAU ball) he acts as the ball handler and distributor. When he's the first option (high school team) he has the ability to score and take over the game. That's a rare combination for a player to have as a 17-18 year old kid.

What kind of competition level is his high school playing at?

I believe the competition is good. Liberty has 2,800 students. Foothill, whom they just played has 1,900. 6-8 Edward Turner of Foothill has 7 D1 offers and interest from Arizona, where his father played. It’s not like it’s Oklahoma Rotnei Clarke competition.

I believe the competition is good. Liberty has 2,800 students. Foothill, whom they just played has 1,900. 6-8 Edward Turner of Foothill has 7 D1 offers and interest from Arizona, where his father played. It’s not like it’s Oklahoma Rotnei Clarke competition.
Cool. Just wondering.

I'm also interested in how many shot attempts it's taking him to score these points...ie....FG %.

I can’t find any stats, maxprep, newspapers, etc. I can point out that he went up against Jalen Green, a Rivals 5-Star Recruit, #1 in the 2020 class in his last game and outscored him 45-31. His competition is good.

Jalen Green CRAZY Matchup with Isaiah Hill!

Combine for 76 Points!

(link: http://bit.ly/2Eu8yvI) bit.ly/2Eu8yvI via
@slamonline
#NBA

4h
"It's crazy. He's not in the NBA. He's not in college. He's not Zion. But they know who Jalen is.": My
@BleacherReport
#BRmag story on Jalen Green, 2020's top recruit and projected future No. 1 NBA draft pick:

Wow, that video got me pumped about Hill! He looked good on those off the dribble threes and attacking the rim in transition. Even got a nice block in too!

Would also be interested in some FG% and 3PT% stats if anyone finds them.

I'm not sure any of Hill's teammates could even letter at the likes of Memorial or BTW. If they win it will be because of Hill. Clearly the best player on that team by a large margin.

A nice article on Hill.

HORN: Go see Isaiah Hill play basketball before it's too late

Liberty's Isaiah Hill gets past Ridgeview's Levell Zeigler during a game last season.

• Californian file photo

Foothill's Edward Turner goes up to block a shot, but Liberty High's Isaiah Hill goes under the basket to score during last year's Lloyd Williams/Kern Schools Shootout.

• Californian file photo

Have you seen Isaiah Hill’s jump shot?

Have you seen the guard drive to the basket with ease?

Have you seen the Liberty senior dribble effortlessly through a double team?

If not, please do yourself a favor and make it a point to before he heads off to the University of Tulsa to begin the next chapter in his dazzling basketball career.

I first was introduced to Hill during his freshman year at Liberty.

His older brother, Elijah, was a senior at Centennial in 2015-16 while Isaiah was on the bench with the Patriots.

Isaiah’s status that year had nothing to do with his talent level, rather the rule in place that the Kern High School District places on transfers. Hill’s parents, Damon and Jill, wanted their youngest son to compete athletically and go to school at Liberty but did not want to leave their house in the Frontier boundaries.

For that to happen, it meant Isaiah would have to sit out football and basketball his freshman season because he was deemed a transfer coming into high school.

There was a lot of buzz surrounding Isaiah being the next big thing in town, and I was impressed with him. He was cordial but had a swagger to his game even at 14.

It's only gotten better since.

Don’t just take it from me. Listen to the guy that's been around the Hills for the better part of the last decade.

A.J. Shearon was the coach at Liberty during Isaiah’s freshman year, then was Elijah’s coach over the previous two years at Fresno Pacific before coming back home to become the boys basketball coach at North this season.

“(Isaiah) has the most advanced skill set of any player that we have produced since 2005,” Shearon said. “We have produced guys that were bigger, stronger or more athletic. But in terms of a guy with the plug-and-play skill set, Isaiah is the most ready-for-the-next-level that we’ve had in the last 10-to-15 years.”

Yes, Tyrone Wallace, Braxton Huggins, Jordan Roberts, Justin McCall and Stephon Carter all come up in conversation.

Shoot, there was even Cody Kessler, but he chose the football route (seems to have worked out well) and did not play basketball his senior year at Centennial.

But to those like Shearon, Hill's skillset and readiness — despite the guard's diminutive 5-foot-11 stature — will allow him to be a standout on the college level as well.

“When you start talking about next-level players, you have to get away from metrics and look at the nuance. It’s his knowledge and feel," Shearon said. "He sees the game better than 95 percent of players you see at this level. He separates himself from everyone else. Not just locally, but nationally as well.”

Look at what Hill has done this season. In the Patriots’ home opener against Clovis-Buchanan, he scored 35 points with ease. Two weeks prior, Hill told me he was going to put up 40 on the Bears. Had it not been for a double-digit lead in the fourth quarter, he would have.

It was incredible to watch. His 3-point shot glided in like a rainbow from the heavens. His ability to create shots in the lane while never seeming to lose his cool was a treat to watch in person.

Through seven games this season, Hill has scored at least 40 points twice: In an overtime loss to Foothill on the opening night of the Lloyd Williams/KSFCU Shootout; then against Fresno-San Joaquin Memorial and national recruit Jalen Green, when Hill dropped 45.

Hill’s game is best suited as a shooting guard at the next level. And he has all the tools in his bag.

There is his one-dribble shot that leaves defenders scrambling to find their footing long after Hill has hoisted it up. His half-court dribble and long-range accuracy is the best I’ve seen in Bakersfield.

To those that have had their pulse on the basketball scene in town much longer than I have, like former Liberty and Independence head coach Stan Davis, Hill’s ability is special.

“He really doesn’t have a hole in his game,” Davis said. “He may not have the size but he’s really good. Isaiah is one of those guys that if you have a defender at the 3-point line, he can step back 10 feet and still hit it. When he’s going, he’s unstoppable. He is hard to gameplan against because he is also unselfish.”

Hill also got exposure in the offseason, as starting point guard for Compton Magic, one of the premier AAU programs in the country.

“They’re the undisputed No. 1 team in the nation in AAU basketball,” Shearon said. “When you are around those types of players it helps. Those reps he gets there helps when he comes back to the Valley, when he goes against guys like Jalen Green.”

Those moments are coming and going in the blink of an eye.

Hill's worth the price of admission. Go see that shot, that swagger before it’s gone.

Trevor Horn can be reached at (661) 395-7374. Follow him on Twitter: @trevhorn.

Great article. Interesting that he says his skill set is best suited for shooting guard. Seems like he’ll play PG at TU unless we recruit a 6’4”+ PG to cover for Hill’s size on the defensive end. You can have one 6’-ish player on the court on defense, but two feels like too much of a liability.

Here you’re getting me all Memphis fan level excited about Hill, I hope I’m not disappointed.

Reactions: URedskin54
Great article. Interesting that he says his skill set is best suited for shooting guard. Seems like he’ll play PG at TU unless we recruit a 6’4”+ PG to cover for Hill’s size on the defensive end. You can have one 6’-ish player on the court on defense, but two feels like too much of a liability.

Lack of size in the backcourt isn’t near as much of a liability due to Haith’s zone defense. Playing man D with both Phipps and Hill in the floor would pose some challenges.

Lack of size in the backcourt isn’t near as much of a liability due to Haith’s zone defense. Playing man D with both Phipps and Hill in the floor would pose some challenges.
Isn’t Phipps a 2020 kid?

I often hope that we got a steal when we sign a guy, but it's nice to KNOW we got a steal. This dude is going to make some people pay

I often hope that we got a steal when we sign a guy, but it's nice to KNOW we got a steal. This dude is going to make some people pay

Hill, Phipps, Thompson.......My dream guards for 2020. Now add a 4 star Big and we are talking Sweet sixteen again. I know it has only been about 20 years.

Hill, Phipps, Thompson.......My dream guards for 2020. Now add a 4 star Big and we are talking Sweet sixteen again. I know it has only been about 20 years.

That sounds great. Any news from your sources on Bryce?

Info tight lipped from what I hear.
Obviously big concern about Kansas but I remain concerned about OSU

Haisten mentioned that he was behind the OU bench at the OSU game last weekend as a "guest" of OU. Ugh.

Isaiah-Hill-200.jpg

The only reason Bakersfield Liberty’s Isaiah Hill isn’t going to be on the All-State Grid-Hoop Team this year is because he didn’t play football last season. Photo: @BVarsityLive / Twitter.com.

Cal-Hi Sports Northern California
Boys Basketball Player of the Week

Isaiah Hill
(Liberty, Bakersfield) Sr.

Every time we go to the CIF Central Section for a Northern California award winner we remind readers that for all our players of the week for basketball and football as well, the Valley as locals call the section is considered in the NorCal area.

This week, we go as far south in what we call Northern California as you can go when we visit Bakersfield to honor a young man who has shown enough promise to earn a scholarship offer to the University of Tulsa that he has signed to accept.

Last week, the 5-foot-11 point guard got Liberty to 9-8 on the season but 1-0 in Southwest Yosemite League play after Hill went for 32 points against cross-town rival Centennial.

So far this season, Hill is averaging nearly 25 points per game, according to Bakersfield Californian high school sports scribe Trevor Horn, who feels he could score a lot more and has.

“Isaiah is the best basketball player I’ve seen since I moved here in 2014,” Horn said. “He’s a fluid floor general with high-level IQ and a smooth shot from anywhere within 30 feet. He could score more if he cared to but he dishes the ball at an elite level too.

“I’ve seen seven games and he’s gone for 30-plus in five or six of them,” continued Horn. “He scored 35 against Buchanan (Clovis) where he sat the final five minutes of the game. In a tournament game at North (Bakersfield), he scored 40 and it was the easiest 40-plus game I’ve seen anywhere.”

Hill’s season high is 45 points and that came against national junior recruit Jalen Green in a 92-81 loss to San Joaquin Memorial (Fresno) in the Nike Invitational in Fresno.

Of note is Isaiah passed on being a two-sport athlete to concentrate on basketball, but last year he averaged 22.8 points eight rebounds and six assists per game after coming off a season as a dual-threat quarterback for Liberty where he passed for 1,173 yards and 12 touchdowns and rushed for 639 yards and three more scores

“Isaiah is the best basketball player I’ve seen since I moved here in 2014,” Horn said. “He’s a fluid floor general with high-level IQ and a smooth shot from anywhere within 30 feet. He could score more if he cared to but he dishes the ball at an elite level too.

“I’ve seen seven games and he’s gone for 30-plus in five or six of them,” continued Horn. “He scored 35 against Buchanan (Clovis) where he sat the final five minutes of the game. In a tournament game at North (Bakersfield), he scored 40 and it was the easiest 40-plus game I’ve seen anywhere.”
I like the comments about the high-level IQ. The fact the writer thinks he has 30 ft range is also a positive. I'd like to know what his TO numbers are as well...we get all the positives in the articles. It also sounds like Hill doesn't have much around him on his HS team. He puts up 45 in a game and his team gives up 92 points. If I'm Haith, Hill is the starter next season at PG and you work from there. He needs to find a 6'9" PF with range to compliment Hill and Igbanu and I think the rest of the pieces fall into place for this team next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT