ADVERTISEMENT

If Minneapolis gets rid of their police...

TUMe

I.T.S. Legend
Dec 3, 2003
Minnesota will have to assume that role. They will have to hire more state troopers. Where can they get experienced officers. They can hire the Minneapolis police that are laid off when they no longer have police.

Minnesota will have to assume that role. They will have to hire more state troopers. Where can they get experienced officers. They can hire the Minneapolis police that are laid off when they no longer have police.
I think there would still be community law enforcement, but the intent is to make the duties of certain law enforcement more defined. I'm not sure if I agree with their intentions, but I'm also not sure I've ever seen them attempted. I can knock it until I see some results I suppose. On the surface it looks like there could certainly be flaws with the plan.

Personally, I'd like to see them tackle it more in the way that the UK does. Have uniformed peace keeping officers without sidearms that do most of the enforcement of the streets and then some special units who train in armed responses.

I'm going to take another semi-educated guess: The reforms in Minneapolis will result in money being shifted from working class individuals in law enforcement with no degree to upper middle class white kids who got social science degrees.

Yeah, I think the proposed "disbanding" of the police is the same as when New Mexico "disbanded" the Children, Youth, and Family Services Department. They quickly set up a new agency to replace it and assume most of the same responsibilities. The idea was that it was easier to set up a new institution from scratch then try to repair the old one. It was just too incompetent and full of entrenched careerists that had no interest in enacting meaningful change. Same could very well be true of many police departments across the country.

It could also just be a way to clean house of known bad cops that have a list of complaints against them. Firing bad cops is hard to do, they generally have the full support of their union. But laying off the entire force and then rehiring into a new organization a couple weeks later might make it easier to simply not rehire the ones you know are problematic.

Or a little of each.

Can't say I'd be too upset with the massive power advantage I'd have over police if they were disarmed

Reactions: noble cane
Can't say I'd be too upset with the massive power advantage I'd have over police if they were disarmed
I mean, they'd basically become security guards with judicial backup... which is sufficient for certain functions. I would still advocate for some policing organizations to be armed in case of emergency.

I would also astronomically increase sentencing requirements for criminals in the possession of weapons during crimes. (Guns, knives, etc...)

Reactions: TU_BLA
I’m skeptical that those who shot 92 people and killed 27 in Chicago yesterday will care about increased sentences for having a gun.

I’m also skeptical about having unarmed peace officers enforcing the law in areas of that level of violence.

Last edited:
I’m skeptical that those who shot 92 people and killed 27 in Chicago yesterday will care about increased sentences for having a gun.

I’m also skeptical about having unarmed peace officers enforcing the law in areas of that level of violence.
Just exactly how much do we have to raise taxes so we can raises salaries high enough to convince people to go unarmed to a gun fight with juvenile drug assassins facing the death penalty or life no parole at 17 and a life expectancy on the street measured in months or track down transnational criminal organizations with billions invested in this country in drug and people smuggling.

Last edited:
I remember my second or third case in federal court. I hadn’t left the prosecutors office for long. I get a call from my client, this was back when people used phones, and he tells me to meet him at an address. I protested that for reasons of confidentiality I only meet with clients at my office, but he insists. His retainer was paid in cash and at that time was the most money I had ever seen that wasnt in an evidence locker.

This guy was a piece of work. He was accused of the following: running human smuggling through Mexican construction crews, real world slavery. $6500 in coyote fee that they would work two years in horrific conditions to repay, always with the debt increasing because of this and that supposedly. He had a grow operation out in the National Forest supposedly. He was running guns back to Mexico supposedly. He had state charges for setting tying his 14 year old nephew to a chair, drenching him with gasoline, and repeatedly setting him on fire and kicking him into the nearby pool, repeatedly saving him from drowning with the help of his associates, and doing that at least four times before the kid gave up information regarding stolen or mislaid cash, depending on your perspective.

I get over to the address and I’m surprised to see that it’s another lawyers office. I’m a little confused and they show me back into this really really nice modern office. Impeccable modern furniture and art. Silver slipper firm. I walk in, shake hands and ask the guy behind the desk why I’m on the case if he’s my clients lawyer. I expected a compliment about some recent high profile trial wins and they wanted someone young, good, who knew the judge.

The reply was “If you are killed but any of these co-defendants or witnesses or in an accident, I will be able to take over and we won’t have any delay to (my clients) business operations waiting on another lawyer to get ready.”

Now I ask you ... would you arrest that guy, unarmed, for $18.75 an hour?

Last edited:

I’m skeptical that having police who have guns make it significantly better. It didn’t fix problems during prohibition. The only thing that really fixed the alcohol problem was devaluing alcohol and regulating it’s use.

I remember my second or third case in federal court. I hadn’t left the prosecutors office for long. I get a call from my client, this was back when people used phones, and he tells me to meet him at an address. I protested that for reasons of confidentiality I only meet with clients at my office, but he insists. His retainer was paid in cash and at that time was the most money I had ever seen that wasnt in an evidence locker.

This guy was a piece of work. He was accused of the following: running human smuggling through Mexican construction crews, real world slavery. $6500 in coyote fee that they would work two years in horrific conditions to repay, always with the debt increasing because of this and that supposedly. He had a grow operation out in the National Forest supposedly. He was running guns back to Mexico supposedly. He had state charges for setting tying his 14 year old nephew to a chair, drenching him with gasoline, and repeatedly setting him on fire and kicking him into the nearby pool, repeatedly saving him from drowning with the help of his associates, and doing that at least four times before the kid gave up information regarding stolen or mislaid cash, depending on your perspective.

I get over to the address and I’m surprised to see that it’s another lawyers office. I’m a little confused and they show me back into this really really nice modern office. Impeccable modern furniture and art. Silver slipper firm. I walk in, shake hands and ask the guy behind the desk why I’m on the case if he’s my clients lawyer. I expected a compliment about some recent high profile trial wins and they wanted someone young, good, who knew the judge.

The reply was “If you are killed but any of these witness or in an accident, I will be able to take over and we won’t have any delay to (my clients) business operations waiting on another lawyer to get ready.

I wouldn’t expect a local cop with fewer formal hours of conflict training than I have in my college minor to arrest that guy. That’s what we have specialized units or even the ATF for.

I wouldn’t expect a local cop with fewer formal hours of conflict training than I have in my college minor to arrest that guy. That’s what we have specialized units or even the ATF for.
Oh got it. So you’re actually for a national police force with specialized training in tracking down transnational drug organizations operating inside the United States. We call that entity Immigration and Customs Enforcement Homeland Security Investigations. Congress currently funds them at 30% of their budgeting request. You’ve said on here before you want to abolish ICE.

You have no idea what you are talking about, only what you are told.

/end thread.

Last edited:
I mean, they'd basically become security guards with judicial backup... which is sufficient for certain functions. I would still advocate for some policing organizations to be armed in case of emergency.

I would also astronomically increase sentencing requirements for criminals in the possession of weapons during crimes. (Guns, knives, etc...)
Do you work for Donald Trump?

You do understand that the Democratic Party has been telling college educated women in the suburbs, their key demographic, they are safe from crime because they can call the police. Now you want to take away their guns and their police? That will poll at about 20% in the swing states. Biden and every serious VP candidate is already backtracking on your ridiculous proposal. The Minneapolis city Council member was a laughing stock on softball CNN with no substantive answers. On behalf of every Republican, please keep talking.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I’m skeptical that having police who have guns make it significantly better. It didn’t fix problems during prohibition. The only thing that really fixed the alcohol problem was devaluing alcohol and regulating it’s use.

The only recent case I recall where the police presence was backed off was Baltimore. We all know the result there. I don’t see anyway you can expect the policing of violent gang infested areas like south Chicago without armed patrols. The gangs would have complete freedom to operate as they please. 92 shootings and 27 murdered in one day would become commonplace...see Baltimore. It’s incredibly sad to me that we’re not protesting the violence in our cities and seeking better living conditions for those who live in these war zones.

Reactions: HuffyCane

The reply was “If you are killed but any of these co-defendants or witnesses or in an accident, I will be able to take over and we won’t have any delay to (my clients) business operations waiting on another lawyer to get ready.”

I just wanna know if you kept him as a client. (at least till the end of that case)

I just wanna know if you kept him as a client. (at least till the end of that case)
Not guilty on some of the federal charges. Hung jury on the marijuana farm. He was convicted in state court on the kidnapping and torture and remanded. Somebody else handled the second federal trial. I assume it was a plea as he was in state prison by then and they likely gave him a concurrent sentence.

Do you work for Donald Trump?

You do understand that the Democratic Party has been telling college educated women in the suburbs, their key demographic, they are safe from crime because they can call the police. Now you want to take away their guns and their police? That will poll at about 20% in the swing states. Biden and every serious VP candidate is already backtracking on your ridiculous proposal. The Minneapolis city Council member was a laughing stock on softball CNN with no substantive answers. On behalf of every Republican, please keep talking.
Sorry I was wrong. It’s polling at 18%.

Part of the problem is cops have to follow rules. Bad guys have no rules.
You do realize that not all criminals are the same level of bad guys right? A person who gets a speeding ticket probably still abides by laws regarding murder.

Part of the problem is cops have to follow rules. Bad guys have no rules.
Yeah, that was the issue and proper lesson to take away from George Floyd. He was clearly an out of control goon who lured the police into a false sense of security and forced them to break the rules by calmly adhering to their every request and only protesting when they were actively suffocating him for no reason. **rolls eyes**

This motorist didn’t have the same training as the first one. There are hundreds of these incidents each year where your “routine traffic stop” for speeding, bad tag, etc. turns into “unbeknownst to your unarmed cop, there is a felon who knows he has active warrant who will kill you before he goes to prison” sitting behind the wheel.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think the proposed "disbanding" of the police is the same as when New Mexico "disbanded" the Children, Youth, and Family Services Department. They quickly set up a new agency to replace it and assume most of the same responsibilities. The idea was that it was easier to set up a new institution from scratch then try to repair the old one. It was just too incompetent and full of entrenched careerists that had no interest in enacting meaningful change. Same could very well be true of many police departments across the country.

It could also just be a way to clean house of known bad cops that have a list of complaints against them. Firing bad cops is hard to do, they generally have the full support of their union. But laying off the entire force and then rehiring into a new organization a couple weeks later might make it easier to simply not rehire the ones you know are problematic.

Or a little of each.

It's also reallocating resources and responsibilities to people who are better suited to handle them. In Eugene, nearly 20% of all calls are forwarded to a nonprofit mental health response team that only takes up 1% of the budget. Even police themselves are on board:

“We’re the police, we’re not a taxi or an ambulance,” Lewis said. “We’re being put into these situations more and more where we’re dealing with mental health, transients or homeless people seeking services, etcetera. You can see where that becomes problematic.”

https://www.registerguard.com/news/...ing-of-cops-and-hippies-became-national-model

Reactions: Clong83a
Yeah, that was the issue and proper lesson to take away from George Floyd. He was clearly an out of control goon who lured the police into a false sense of security and forced them to break the rules by calmly adhering to their every request and only protesting when they were actively suffocating him for no reason. **rolls eyes**
So sorry you have to deal with this 'centrist' republican.

So asinine. Would you like me to go grab video from the hundreds of thousands of traffic stops that are resolved peacefully? (Even when criminal activities are involved)
When someone is stopped the officer has no idea whether the person is a fine person or an axe murderer. If he hops out with a gun it is too late to say, "Uh, I will call in a counselor, I don't do violent cases."

So asinine. Would you like me to go grab video from the hundreds of thousands of traffic stops that are resolved peacefully? (Even when criminal activities are involved)
It only takes one bad stop to kill an officer, but that will comfort the widow, that he had 693 traffic stops without incident.

When someone is stopped the officer has no idea whether the person is a fine person or an axe murderer. If he hops out with a gun it is too late to say, "Uh, I will call in a counselor, I don't do violent cases."
This isn't always true. A lot of times, these types of violent stops occur when cops are pulling over people for outstanding arrest warrants.

This isn't always true. A lot of times, these types of violent stops occur when cops are pulling over people for outstanding arrest warrants.
Very true. Then they know there is a threat and need a weapon and if possible a back up or several. Too late to go back for a weapon.

Is it safe to assume the police treat someone who has a long rap sheet like Floyd differently than those with only minor brushes with the law? Everyone is focusing on race when maybe we should also examine how police treat repeat felons when in police custody. I assume there’s a difference.

It only takes one bad stop to kill an officer, but that will comfort the widow, that he had 693 traffic stops without incident.
Seems like the police in the UK get along fine... of course they passed laws over the last 100 years that prohibited firearms in most unnecessary situations. Of course they also banned slavery before we did so that's unsurprising.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT