ADVERTISEMENT

I see Haisten Found my Video of UNC-TU @ Mabee Center

I wasn’t allowed to watch the NBA growing up. My dad played basketball at the collegiate level and was adamant that it was fixed and said so with the unspoken tone that he had personal knowledge.

But if I had to choose an era, it would be the late 70’s - early 80’s when regional TV wouldnt carry some games and you never really knew if four or five teams a year might fold. Kansas City - Omaha Kings. The Cotton Fitzsimmons - Otis Birdsong era. That seedy NBA we barely remember where some players were paid in cash from that night’s ticket sales and cigarettes and coke were openly used at halftime.

I remember when the finals were shown on tape delay at 10:30 pm.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Aston...
Did you ever see Wilt play?
Did you see him play in his prime?
Wilt could score at will in his early career, when he went to the lakers they needed him for rebounds, defense and blocks so he changed his game. Arnold S said Wilt was the strongest person he ever met. I think with his strength, height and talent he would have been more than a role player in any era.

Reactions: TU Sepp
Could Bob Cousy dribble through his legs or just behind his back? He was considered a magician with the ball then. And the bank shots from the wing from Sharman and Sam Jones.

I’ve seen him play via the same method all the rest of you saw him play unless you had the chance to see him in person.

In 1966 I saw Wilt play live for the 76ers in LA on one night and Lew Alcindor play for UCLA the next night at Pauley Pavillion as a sophomore. Highlight of my live viewing experiences in two days.

I watched Wilt v. Russell play on tv for years. Watching a game or 2 on youtube does not really compare to watching Wilt and Russell play every year. To this day Russell is the greatest outlet passer to start the fast break that has ever played. There is not one other center that comes close.

Reactions: quincy101
Someone earlier brought up dribbling the ball... In the 50's - 60's they were not allowed to carry the ball the way every player since Magic entered the league now handles the ball. It is amazing how the dribbling improved once players were not called for carrying the ball and were given extra steps when going to the hoop. I wonder how good the players back then would have been if they were allowed to carry the ball, take the extra step, and push off every time they had the ball.

I watched Wilt v. Russell play on tv for years. Watching a game or 2 on youtube does not really compare to watching Wilt and Russell play every year. To this day Russell is the greatest outlet passer to start the fast break that has ever played. There is not one other center that comes close.
Just givin' you a hard time. ;O) Just like TUSepp gave u a hard time, cuz u set yourself up for being given a hard time. When u make a bold statement like that, u better be ready to back it up.

Someone earlier brought up dribbling the ball... In the 50's - 60's they were not allowed to carry the ball the way every player since Magic entered the league now handles the ball. It is amazing how the dribbling improved once players were not called for carrying the ball and were given extra steps when going to the hoop. I wonder how good the players back then would have been if they were allowed to carry the ball, take the extra step, and push off every time they had the ball.
I mean.... I agree with you on travels, but not on dribbling overall. Yes carrying the ball was called more frequently. But it just didn't end in the 60's. Maravich wasn't long after this and he was an excellent ball handler. Who didn't really "carry" the ball, but also dribbled with his head up. The best handlers of the 60's era Cousy + West, were't so bad about this, but guys they played against were.

If you look at rebounding in that era, it was WAY easier to more rebounds because a) Boxouts weren't really a thing yet and B) The volume of missed shots was just much higher. I think there were typically no more than 10 or so guys that shot over 50% from the field every season during Wilt's entire career. Now, there are 25-30 guys every season that accomplish that and a significant number of them are shooting a ton of shots 25+ ft. from the basket.

In 1966 I saw Wilt play live for the 76ers in LA on one night and Lew Alcindor play for UCLA the next night at Pauley Pavillion as a sophomore. Highlight of my live viewing experiences in two days.

My parents got to see Alcindor play on the UCLA freshman team in ‘65. They said the Pavillion was just as crowded as a varsity game.

Freshmen didn’t get to play varsity ball until ‘72.

My parents got to see Alcindor play on the UCLA freshman team in ‘65. They said the Pavillion was just as crowded as a varsity game.

Freshmen didn’t get to play varsity ball until ‘72.

My brother saw the UCLA Freshman team (with Alcindor) destroy the National Champion Varsity in Pre-season that year. ... He said that was fun to watch.

If they called today's game the way they did in the 50's and 60's not one player would ever get 3 dribbles before he would be called for carrying the ball. Under those rules all the players today would have to greatly alter their game or they would all foul out in the first 10 minutes of the game. It would be easier for the players in the 50's and 60's to adjust to today's game than vice-versa.

Reactions: Larry Lewis
If they called today's game the way they did in the 50's and 60's not one player would ever get 3 dribbles before he would be called for carrying the ball. Under those rules all the players today would have to greatly alter their game or they would all foul out in the first 10 minutes of the game. It would be easier for the players in the 50's and 60's to adjust to today's game than vice-versa.
Disagree. It’s harder to learn today’s style of handling than the rudimentary style they used back then. Even if they were calling it tighter today.

I'm sorry to see the the carrying the ball rule abused so much now. Cousy and Maravich didn't need the current advantage given.

Now I will throw in an extra tidbit about Russell... As a high schooler he was ranked #7 in the world in the high jump and #2 in the USA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT