ADVERTISEMENT

HUGE WIN....

bigzit

I.T.S. Position Coach
Aug 20, 2001
ECU played Tulsa as good as anyone can right now.... They forced Tulsa to struggle against a soft zone AND they did an incredible job of shooting lights out from the 3 (against pretty solid defense) AND they did a great job of getting back in transition. Superb job by ECU. They could not have played Tulsa any better, yet Tulsa gets the win.

This was a trap game. Tulsa survived. Mark of a solid ball club.

Originally posted by bigzit:
ECU played Tulsa as good as anyone can right now.... They forced Tulsa to struggle against a soft zone AND they did an incredible job of shooting lights out from the 3 (against pretty solid defense) AND they did a great job of getting back in transition. Superb job by ECU. They could not have played Tulsa any better, yet Tulsa gets the win.

+1 ... Should make the top 25 next week according to the CBS guys during halftime scoreboard show of KU-Texas game which gave Tulsa some nice headline coverage.

Of course I always want us to win every game but I really wanted us to win this one for Coach Haith. Glad his family reunion has a happy start.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by Tulsa76:

+1 ... Should make the top 25 next week according to the CBS guys during halftime scoreboard show of KU-Texas game which gave Tulsa some nice headline coverage.
Lol I like the compliment by the big dog announcers, but you have to get votes before you can be ranked. We'll probably start getting votes this week... But it just makes every game more dire... I have a feeling an improved Tulane is going to throw everything they have at us and even more so if we have a number next to our name.

Originally posted by astonmartin708:

Originally posted by Tulsa76:

Lol I like the compliment by the big dog announcers, but you have to get votes before you can be ranked. We'll probably start getting votes this week... But it just makes every game more dire... I have a feeling an improved Tulane is going to throw everything they have at us and even more so if we have a number next to our name.
Bingo!

You always get everyting thrown at you when you have a number next to your name.
smokin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by TulsaEye:

You always get everyting thrown at you when you have a number next to your name.
smokin.r191677.gif
Exactly... as the target on your back gets bigger, it just creates bigger opportunities for more recognition and respect. I think our guys can handle it.

A win was better than a loss for sure!

Losing to 270 RPI team (even on the road) wouldn't look good.

I was having a hard time classifying this as a huge win simply because I expected a blowout over a poor team. Then I started watching the Iowa St/Texas Tech game where the #9 team is trailing a bad TT team. They have struggled most of the day and have really just now climbed back in with 1:38 left. Hoiberg employed the hack anyone strategy at about the 4 minute mark. TT is starting to tighten up.

Although I expected a greater margin of victory, it has to be put in perspective.

It was a road conference game against a lower tier opponent, after a series of big wins. Still, the opponent was 7-2 at home. They had a very good game plan, and executed it well. We sleepwalked a bit and went into the bench a bit early. They went bat-crap insane from 3-pt. And we won.

The defense on the last "threatening" possession by ECU was amazing from start to finish.

Took care of business, and didn't have a let down, still undefeated and #1 in conference, keeping the spotlight on us rather than shifting it to SMU with a tie for first place.

Huge win. Even very good teams have let-down games, and the great ones survive them.

Damn if this team doesn't make me uncharacteristically optimistic.

Agree with all that, Ozark.

I'm most enthused about how this Erin required several players to contribute. We could not have won today without the play of all our starters plus Ray and Swannegan.

Maybe our most "team" win on the entire season.

The post about Iowa St was to point out how hard it is to win on the road, even against bad teams.

On another subject, I went to the ORU game tonight, mainly because I didn't want to sit at home and I get in free. Watching the game burns me even more that we lost to them. ORU plays ZERO defense. They can shoot some unless it's from the foul line. They made as many 3s as the did FTs. They simply don't defend and they don't rebound. I hope that doesn't become in of those regrettable losses

It's a huge win because it would have been a HUUUUUGE loss. I'll take it.

Biggest concern has to be that the bad teams that have beat us or pushed us, all employed the same strategy. Got to figure that out.

Ash

Originally posted by ashVID:
It's a huge win because it would have been a HUUUUUGE loss. I'll take it.

Biggest concern has to be that the bad teams that have beat us or pushed us, all employed the same strategy. Got to figure that out.

Ash
The fix for that is that you have to be able to hit from the outside. Tulsa will see a variation of the Diamond type zone from defenses in most games until we can prove we can bust it consistently. It seems to do a good job not allowing Tulsa to drive the lanes in the paint. I would like to see us install back door cuts (Ex. aka the Princeton cut) and alley-oop passes to help go around and over the zones.

This post was edited on 1/25 12:07 AM by TulsaEye

The defense ECU seemed to be running looked similar to the Point-Zone Defense.

*The "point-zone defense" is a zone defense
devised by coaching legend Dean Smith at the University of North
Carolina. It has been used down the years by succeeding coaches in that
program. Coach Smith always maintained that it not only is an
effective zone defense, but is also very easy to teach, requiring little
practice time for your players to learn it.

The point-zone defense has the advantages of getting pressure on the
ball while still protecting the paint, and it is confusing for the
opposing players and coaches. It looks like a zone offenses.

Point-Zone Defense

Originally posted by TulsaEye:
The defense ECU seemed to be running looked similar to the Point-Zone Defense.

*The "point-zone defense" is a zone defense
devised by coaching legend Dean Smith at the University of North
Carolina. It has been used down the years by succeeding coaches in that
program. Coach Smith always maintained that it not only is an
effective zone defense, but is also very easy to teach, requiring little
practice time for your players to learn it.

The point-zone defense has the advantages of getting pressure on the
ball while still protecting the paint, and it is confusing for the
opposing players and coaches. It looks like a zone offenses.
Interesting concepts. Makes sense that Lebo would use such tatics. It definately forced TU's guards into a more patient game, at times slowing down the slashing to the rim.

I thout Pastner was out of his mind hedging the ball, and moreso using man-to-man defense.

TX

ECU watched the SEOSU game carefully it was obvious using nearly the same game plan. We have learned to attack that scheme a lot better since then.

Was it the four guard line up that had more success against that zone?

Playing Shaq around the FT line was an interesting response.

Junkie is right. Using Shaq in the middle of the zone, around FT line will bust that defense using Juice and Ray to move around the top.Shaq can maneuver around the middle defenders as well as use his vision and passing to break it down. The 3-4 possessions we employed it yesterday were some of the more effective possessions we had.

Getting Woodard hot, back pick and skip pass will get anyone out of that defense. Problem is when you can't hit that shot, they stay in that zone.

Originally posted by ashVID:
Getting Woodard hot, back pick and skip pass will get anyone out of that defense. Problem is when you can't hit that shot, they stay in that zone.

Ray was huge, becoming that second shooter.

Who ever mentioned the back cuts earlier... We ran those in the preseason. Shaq was making lightning quick baseline cuts when the ball came to smith in the high post against the zone and it led to some rim shaking up and under dunks. I think Haith and Co. Are smart enough to not show their whole hand in the first game versus any team. They'll probably install some new offensive sets for the return games between teams that have run those tight zones against us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT