ADVERTISEMENT

How we voted in 2018

Watu3

I.T.S. Senior
Nov 17, 2017
Detailed, graphical analysis of voting from WSJ.

Republicans appear to be older, less educated, white, rural and away from the coasts. Accordingly Dem's are younger, more of color, female, better educated, live in populous areas, etc. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

OK that's probably a bit biased, so look for yourselves.

https://www.wsj.com/graphics/election-2018-votecast-poll/

Always find it interesting that Dem voters are more educated but poorer. One would think that education leads to financial/work success but with Dems it doesn't seem to work that way.

Always find it interesting that Dem voters are more educated but poorer. One would think that education leads to financial/work success but with Dems it doesn't seem to work that way.
You have to also consider that Dems are younger. Republicans tend to be closer to the baby boomer years and even the under-educated had years to build up assets / wealth as well as job advancement. Young Dems haven't had that long life to build assets / wealth or job prospects like the older Republicans.

It's a bit easier to earn more when you've worked 20 years as an electrician than when you're in your first year out of college looking for a job.

Last edited:
And carrying a huge load of debt....
Poor college students taking out huge loans for their womens studies degrees...
You have to also consider that Dems are younger. Republicans tend to be closer to the baby boomer years and even the under-educated had years to build up assets / wealth as well as job advancement. Young Dems haven't had that long life to build assets / wealth or job prospects like the older Republicans.

It's a bit easier to earn more when you've worked 20 years as an electrician than when you're in your first year out of college looking for a job.
Isn't that always the trend? I'm young and poor give me handouts, vote left...20 years later they're wealthier and want to keep their money and go right.

Poor college students taking out huge loans for their womens studies degrees...

Isn't that always the trend? I'm young and poor give me handouts, vote left...20 years later they're wealthier and want to keep their money and go right.
I have about 32K (left) in student loans from TU, and it wasn't for a women's studies degree. It's so I could get a job. Good luck getting any of the same type of jobs you could get years ago without one today. Much less, trying to get an education for a good job. The cost of education has risen to a point these days that it's impossible to pay your way through school no matter how hard you work during school. You just can't make enough working multiple jobs to cover that. I worked all the way through school, had sizeable scholarships, and still have a ton of money in loans.

Reactions: TU_BLA and Watu3
I'm not sure what total assets or student debt has to do with one's yearly income but ok. The income figure on the survey wasn't AGI or assets or disposable income. If you have a college or graduate degree you should be making $50k in most places.

I worked my way through undergrad and law school btw. Neither of my parents ever attended college. Most of us Sapulpa people are far from privileged.

...and yes....the older and smarter one get the more likely they switch from Dem to Rep :)

Reactions: maverickfp

It certainly seems to be the case. Anecdotal example, my parents were both hippies as young adults and now hard right Republicans.

I wish they'd break it down by profession, I'm curious if there's a correlation to field of work.

I have about 32K (left) in student loans from TU, and it wasn't for a women's studies degree. It's so I could get a job. Good luck getting any of the same type of jobs you could get years ago without one today. Much less, trying to get an education for a good job. The cost of education has risen to a point these days that it's impossible to pay your way through school no matter how hard you work during school. You just can't make enough working multiple jobs to cover that. I worked all the way through school, had sizeable scholarships, and still have a ton of money in loans.
I hope u make a good living with that debt. My biochem degree from TU got me nothing and thank goodness my college was paid for. I then went to nursing school for $10k and 5 years later make almost $90k a year.

I also still maintain that the true correlation with voter preferences isn't education, it's culture. My uncle grew up dirt poor in Spiro, became the first in his family to graduate high school, the first to graduate college, and then became a pharmacist. He and his wife then adopted two girls from China, one of whom is a lesbian. YET, when he hears Dems talking about all these bigots from rural America who "just need to die already" he knows they're talking about him and his family. It's not all that shocking that despite their education my aunt and uncle are huge Trump supporters.

The cost of education has risen to a point these days that it's impossible to pay your way through school no matter how hard you work during school.

So.. you don’t think that the boatloads of money out there in the form of loans and the expansion of the education system as an industry hasn’t caused that?

Also older voters are usually : wiser, more experienced, more practical,(see keep their money) and less idealistic.(see wiser and more experienced)

Guilty as charged.

Born 1946, how is that for baby boom?
White
Worked my way through a fairly good school. The University of Tulsa.
Graduated with no student debt.
My dad finished the 8th grade.
Lived North of Admiral and just South of Pine growing up.
Lived in OK, TX, and back to OK. So Texas had coast but that doesn't count even though I was only a few miles from it. Wore Jungle Boots awhile.
To my everlasting shame, I worked for an oil company destroying the planet.
Retired.

Hmmmm... Actually Dem's are going pretty well.

Income
SHARE VOTED DEMOCRAT VOTED REPUBLICAN VOTED
OTHER

Under $25,000 12 60 36 4
$25,000-$49,999 21 53 44 3
$50,000-$74,999 19 49 48 3
$75,000-$99,999 15 48 50 2
$100,000 or more 32 50 48 2
Income
OTHER

Under $50,000 34 56 41 3
$50,000-$99,999 35 49 49 3

Income
OTHER

Under $50,000 34 56 41 3
$50,000 or more 66 49 48 2

Hmmmm... Actually Dem's are going pretty well.

Income
OTHER

Under $25,000 12 60 36 4
$25,000-$49,999 21 53 44 3
$50,000-$74,999 19 49 48 3
$75,000-$99,999 15 48 50 2
Income
OTHER

Under $50,000 34 56 41 3
$50,000-$99,999 35 49 49 3

Income
OTHER

Under $50,000 34 56 41 3
$50,000 or more 66 49 48 2

So you’re saying the Democrats are the party of the rich now?

Considering Dems were +9 or so Tuesday the fact that they led under $50k by 14 points and were basically tied with Pubs over $50k further illustrates the issue. On an even turnout the Pubs would be up 5 or 6 points in the over $50k vote.

56% of Dems who voted made $50k or less. Only 41% of Pubs made $50k or less. Yet...the Dems are more educated.

I'm not sure what total assets or student debt has to do with one's yearly income but ok. The income figure on the survey wasn't AGI or assets or disposable income. If you have a college or graduate degree you should be making $50k in most places.

I worked my way through undergrad and law school btw. Neither of my parents ever attended college. Most of us Sapulpa people are far from privileged.

...and yes....the older and smarter one get the more likely they switch from Dem to Rep :)
C'mon lawpoke you're smarter than this. It's more likely that someone who has worked for 30 years is likely to have a much higher income than someone who has worked for 3 years (on average) Taking into account education level probably has something to do with the discrepency but age probably plays a bigger factor.

Last edited:
C'mon lawpoke you're smarter than this. It's more likely that someone who has worked for 30 years is likely to have a much higher income than someone who has worked for 3 years (on average)

Not disagreeing with you. However, the only age group which the Pubs won was over 65. Most those people don't work and thus aren't making over $50k a year in income. The median income for Seniors is $10k below the national average. Can I be smart again?

I think the older one gets, the less they think (or care) about improving the rest of the world or even the rest of their community, and the more they focus on getting and keeping "what's theirs". They become greedy and self serving. That's the Republican Party to me. They might make some feigned efforts to give at church, but in the end it's just so they can get into heaven. It's still self serving. They lack empathy.

By contrast, dems (at least the ones at the bottom) tend to lack the same degree of self interest and self preservation that the Republicans have which is why they're viewed as weaker and they tend to lose more.

Funny enough I saw a study the other day that said men who had firstborn daughters tended to have much higher propensity to be Democrats than men who had sons first. I think it has to do with what people perceive as being important for their families, the importance of their place in the community or the importance of their children to be self sustaining.

That's a macroscopic view. I know every Pub or Dem doesn't fit that mold

So.. you don’t think that the boatloads of money out there in the form of loans and the expansion of the education system as an industry hasn’t caused that?
I think a lack of regulation on the industry has caused that.

I think the older one gets, the less they think (or care) about improving the rest of the world or even the rest of their community, and the more they focus on getting and keeping "what's theirs". They become greedy and self serving. That's the Republican Party to me. They might make some feigned efforts to give at church, but in the end it's just so they can get into heaven. It's still self serving. They lack empathy.

By contrast, dems (at least the ones at the bottom) tend to lack the same degree of self interest and self preservation that the Republicans have which is why they're viewed as weaker and they tend to lose more.

Funny enough I saw a study the other day that said men who had firstborn daughters tended to have much higher propensity to be Democrats than men who had sons first. I think it has to do with what people perceive as being important for their families, the importance of their place in the community or the importance of their children to be self sustaining.

What's sad to me is that you and a number of other people actually believe that. It's reflected in a number of your responses and attitude toward the other side. You know...my side is always in the right and the other side is always in the wrong. You do realize that this is part of the problem...right? The other side has their own distorted beliefs of the left and biases too btw. This is a two way street. Neither side paints an accurate picture of the other.

Not disagreeing with you. However, the only age group which the Pubs won was over 65. Most those people don't work and thus aren't making over $50k a year in income. The median income for Seniors is $10k below the national average. Can I be smart again?
Twas a weird election. It was more of a referendum on Trump than a strict party line vote. I think you had a decent number of moderate Pubs vote Democratic

Twas a weird election. It was more of a referendum on Trump than a strict party line vote. I think you had a decent number of moderate Pubs vote Democratic

I believe those income number breakdowns have been pretty consistent over the past few cycles.

Let me just say, and I mean this, this is the dumbest :crap: you have ever posted, and ironically shows a total lack of empathy toward the people you're talking about.

What's sad to me is that you and a number of other people actually believe that. It's reflected in a number of your responses and attitude toward the other side. You know...my side is always in the right and the other side is always in the wrong. You do realize that this is part of the problem...right? The other side has their own distorted beliefs of the left and biases too btw. This is a two way street. Neither side paints an accurate picture of the other.
I didn't say one was right and one was wrong. I think you need to have a balance of both to have a successful society with people who are moderately content.

This is the biggest reason I consider myself moderate. I recognize that you can't solely be out for yourself, but I also recognize that you can't support community without supporting yourself (and your family) to some degree.
You have to have both empathy and self interested natures on occasion. We need balance between conservatism (self) and liberalism / progressiveness (community). I think we can exist with that balance, but right now (especially with Trump) I think the attitude and policies of the country have tilted the balance too far one way and we need to regain some sense of communal importance that we've lost.

Don't get offended because you think I insulted you. I didn't. I just pointed out what I see from the two sides and why both are important.

Last edited:
Let me just say, and I mean this, this is the dumbest :crap: you have ever posted, and ironically shows a total lack of empathy toward the people you're talking about.
See, you take it as a slight, even though it wasn't meant to be. Sometimes empathy can be a fault. I recognize that. It can make you easily taken advantage of. (Much like many Dems are) That's why when people like Acosta finally show a spine I'm all for it as long as it doesn't go too far (like threatening Carlson did)

I don't think being self serving is always bad or always good. You need moderation between the two sides.

See, you take it as a slight, even though it wasn't meant to be. Sometimes empathy can be a fault. I recognize that. It can make you easily taken advantage of. (Much like many Dems are) That's why when people like Acosta show a spine I'm all for it.

I don't think being self serving is always bad or always good. You need moderation between the two sides.

Among the central tenets of most protestant faiths is the notion that good works do NOT in fact get you into heaven. You are saved by grace alone. Enough with the ignorance

Among the central tenets of most protestant faiths is the notion that good works do NOT in fact get you into heaven. You are saved by grace alone. Enough with the ignorance
Don't want to have a faith based conversation right now. Maybe later.

I didn't say one was right and one was wrong. I think you need to have a balance of both to have a successful society with people who are moderately content.

This is the biggest reason I consider myself moderate. I recognize that you can't solely be out for yourself, but I also recognize that you can't support community without supporting yourself (and your family) to some degree.
You have to have both empathy and self interested natures on occasion. We need balance between conservatism (self) and liberalism / progressiveness (community). I think we can exist with that balance, but right now (especially with Trump) I think the attitude and policies of the country have tilted the balance too far one way and we need to regain some sense of communal importance that we've lost.

Don't get offended because you think I insulted you. I didn't. I just pointed out what I see from the two sides and why both are important.

I'm not offended one bit. I'm about as moderate as they come. It hurts me as a member of our society that people actually think that way about half our citizens. It's not healthy or beneficial to anyone. To those who harbor those beliefs as well as those who those beliefs are about. Just saddens me.

BTW.....those beliefs are not those of a moderate. They are those of an ultra left wing member of our society who sees the world through a partisan prism. I hope you at some time during you life will go back an realize that the right is not how you view them nor is the left. Neither are evil. Just different.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT