ADVERTISEMENT

Houston

This team has some guts too. They just need to find that winning touch to put them over the top.

How can Haith only play Henderson only 6 minutes in the second half when he was leading scorer in the first half??

We needed a play to get someone open for a three. Poor execution late cost us.

You don't play 10-12 players. Find a rotation coach. And you don't call a TO on that last possession. Brutal.

Last year we lost 81-66 at Houston, and they had basically the same team, plus Gray.

We were 20-22 from the line tonight. We sure have improved in that area. Magnay and Etou struggled. We got out hustled on the boards, and still turned it over too much.

Taplin disappeared for a bit, then started driving and creating late. He's got to do that all game. I think we'll beat Houston at home, even with Gray.

Frank has always lacked in set plays. That's been his problem at Mizzou too. Birt got only three open shots all night. We should have several set plays to get him open looks. He cannot create his shot. Trying to win one on one with our guys is not a great idea.

What I don't understand is why Battle gets to play for a game or two and then doesn't play in a game like last night. Would've been perfectly fine to play him last night with the Houston PG being a walk-on. Instead we played little Haith. Don't get it.

Haith's offense is not predicated on set plays. It's predicated on ball movement and player movement creating open shots. Our guys don't move enough and thus don't move the ball enough.

One thing I don't understand is why we didn't continue to pass the ball over the top to Igbanu, Magnay, and Etou. They all made stellar entries into the low post last night. I understand we struggled to finish a couple of the layups, but those entry passes force teams to sag and help from the corners and then the big can kick the ball back out. We've seen it a couple of times this year where it has worked well and created the open shots. Why we go to it only a couple times per game and then abandon it is puzzling. Our best pass last night was when Henderson got trapped and heaved the cross court pass to Birt for the open 3. Swinging the ball (slowly) around the arc without player movement is futile...it just eats clock and makes it easy for a man D or a zone D to close out. If the players weave while making the passes, you will get a screen by default on many plays.

Reactions: I.I.
Probably the most frustrating game of the year for me. We play a decent second half and we run away with it. This would have been a good win to have in the bag come conference tournament time.

Haith's offense is not predicated on set plays. It's predicated on ball movement and player movement creating open shots. Our guys don't move enough and thus don't move the ball enough.

One thing I don't understand is why we didn't continue to pass the ball over the top to Igbanu, Magnay, and Etou. They all made stellar entries into the low post last night. I understand we struggled to finish a couple of the layups, but those entry passes force teams to sag and help from the corners and then the big can kick the ball back out. We've seen it a couple of times this year where it has worked well and created the open shots. Why we go to it only a couple times per game and then abandon it is puzzling. Our best pass last night was when Henderson got trapped and heaved the cross court pass to Birt for the open 3. Swinging the ball (slowly) around the arc without player movement is futile...it just eats clock and makes it easy for a man D or a zone D to close out. If the players weave while making the passes, you will get a screen by default on many plays.

I know Haith doesn't use set plays often but with 10 newcomers, set plays are crucial. They still can't correlate their ball movement with the shot clock and are not great passers. If they knew who was the first and second option each time down, they could prepare better and be in better rebound position as well. Better textbook screens would help.

On entering the ball down low, the easiest pass is usually from the wing instead of from the top of the circle where we continually turn it over. One nice exception last night. The problem with the entry pass is that Magnay and TK don't know what to do with it. At least Magnay looks for an inside out. Igbanu will look to score or get fouled.

I agree the Taplin dribble for 20 seconds and try to get an open shot with 3 on the clock was pathetic. Surely with all that coaching experience on the bench we can do better than that. It was classic Wojcik offense. And I agree with almost everyone on here that this was a gift win that we surrendered.......the most frustrating game in a long time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gold*
I agree with many of the comments but IMO it came down to 2 things. Taking care of the ball and offensive rebounding.
We outshot them in every faze:
Fgs 17/46 37%. ----20/55 36.4%
3-pt's 7/13 53.8% ----5/18 27.8%
Fts 20/22 90.9%. ----19/26 73.1%

We even out rebounded them 33-31

However, due to us having 6 more turnovers 13/7 and losing the offensive rebounding 9/14, and having fewer steals 2/7, Houston got 9 more fg attempts than us.

Even with them shooting only 36.4% from the field, that's 6 pts plus, depending on whether that resulted in 2 or 3-pt shots.

Many have complained about our defense but when you hold your opponent to 36.4% and 27.8% shooting, you haven't played bad defense. We didn't block out well on rebounds however.

Completely bogus foul by Magnay on Van Beck and 2 point blank misses by Magnay in last minute really hurt.

We can point to this and that like Igbanu being lost on an inbounds play under their basket for an easy 2 or giving Dotson many open 3's, however 4/12 isn't exactly lighting it up.

We're just making way too many mental errors, contributing to turnovers and not being in position, like blocking out.

I'm still high on the youngsters and see growth and improvement. But we definately blew a chance to steal one from Calvin.

My complaint about the defense is those open looks. Houston is like John Phillips team without Gray. They should have shot worse. They aren't good. We have guys get confused in the zone way too much.

The call on Magnay was bad but they are going to call that most of the time.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
I agree with many of the comments but IMO it came down to 2 things. Taking care of the ball and offensive rebounding.
We outshot them in every faze:
Fgs 17/46 37%. ----20/55 36.4%
3-pt's 7/13 53.8% ----5/18 27.8%
Fts 20/22 90.9%. ----19/26 73.1%

We even out rebounded them 33-31

However, due to us having 6 more turnovers 13/7 and losing the offensive rebounding 9/14, and having fewer steals 2/7, Houston got 9 more fg attempts than us.

Even with them shooting only 36.4% from the field, that's 6 pts plus, depending on whether that resulted in 2 or 3-pt shots.

Many have complained about our defense but when you hold your opponent to 36.4% and 27.8% shooting, you haven't played bad defense. We didn't block out well on rebounds however.

Completely bogus foul by Magnay on Van Beck and 2 point blank misses by Magnay in last minute really hurt.

We can point to this and that like Igbanu being lost on an inbounds play under their basket for an easy 2 or giving Dotson many open 3's, however 4/12 isn't exactly lighting it up.

We're just making way too many mental errors, contributing to turnovers and not being in position, like blocking out.

I'm still high on the youngsters and see growth and improvement. But we definately blew a chance to steal one from Calvin.
If you take out the 3 pointers though, we shot roughly 30% inside the arc (AWFUL) and We only held UH to 40% from inside the arc. So, mediocre rim defense + atrocious offensive execution also had a lot to do with it. We weren't getting quality looks anywhere near the basket, and the ones we were getting we were missing. The only thing that kept us in the game were FT's and contested 3's. If UH had Grey that night they probably wouldn't have shot sub 30% from 3 and this would have been an epic blowout.

Not impressed in any way shape or form by most of what I saw against Houston.

I totally agree with Gold regarding Houston without Gray.

We looked to be the better team. Even with all the stats, scenarios, schemes, and coaching, the team with the better talent typically wins.

Igbanu could have had 20 and 10 if he wouldn't have fouled out (and was fed more). Magnay missed a couple of bunnies late (one of which was a horse shot when you're playing against a 5 year old).

Houston was lost...they needed a former walk-on 6ft guard to save them.

TU definitely let one slip away. On to Memphis.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
Winning on road in AAC is tuff for an experienced team. Nice to see these youngsters show some grit and keep grinding vs what seems to be a top 3-4 team in the AAC. Kelvin always does well with veteran teams and solid guard play. This experience will payoff down the road and they'll steal a few road games. TU should have won the game without Gray services, and was in position to do so. This was a rare comeback fueled by halfcourt defense. It was particularly difficult to see no whistles with all the contact to the body around TU's rim. Still can't believe Magnay's chippy didn't fall, if ever their was a lid on the basket it was then. That shot falls and final minute is much different. I knew once TU needed a 3 out of a halfcourt ser they were in big trouble as UH played great perimeter defense vs halfcourt sets in the final 5-6 min.

TX

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT