ADVERTISEMENT

Happy 2022 to me….I have the Rona :(

Still get vaccinated and practice proper hygiene. I'd rather us just be able to eliminate COVID and not have to worry about it.
I only got tested because of what we experienced in Texas, basically most people were vaccinated but no masks and lots of indoor time with some eating and drinking in close proximity. Upon return first couple of tests were negative, then both PCR and at home text went positive on day 4. No symptoms. We masked as much as we could in Texas but some events made it impossible and also took a fair amount of good natured crap for wearing masks as much as we did. I suspect the case reporting in Texas far underestimates actual cases as many are asymptomatic and their testing is overwhelmed anyway.

Are California’s pandemic policies working?​

California was always doing better than Texas and Florida in per capita deaths, but today the per capita death rate in Texas is about 35 percent higher than California’s. In Florida, it’s 50 percent higher. Those are massive differences. If Texas and Florida had California’s per capita death rate, they would each have 20,000 more people alive today. Forty thousand lives saved. That’s nontrivial.​

Last edited:
Reactions: TU_BLA
If he GOP controlled states would just do what is right vs what is popular and anti-Biden, we'd be largely through this right now with minimal hospitalizations and minimal illnesses. My guess is they'd score some political points as well within their own states. I saw tweets from someone within the State of TX gov't, either the AG or maybe the Lt. Gov, proudly proclaiming how they beat Biden's vaccine mandate with an injunction if Fed. Court, but then he retweeted a communication that was sent about TX having requested Fed. assistance with the exploding number of cases in the state and testing sites being overwhelmed. Talk about hypocrites being bit in the ass.

I saw make any fed assistance contingent upon state legislature enacting vaccine and mask mandates as long as testing rates are above a certain % based on population.

If he GOP controlled states would just do what is right vs what is popular and anti-Biden, we'd be largely through this right now with minimal hospitalizations and minimal illnesses. My guess is they'd score some political points as well within their own states. I saw tweets from someone within the State of TX gov't, either the AG or maybe the Lt. Gov, proudly proclaiming how they beat Biden's vaccine mandate with an injunction if Fed. Court, but then he retweeted a communication that was sent about TX having requested Fed. assistance with the exploding number of cases in the state and testing sites being overwhelmed. Talk about hypocrites being bit in the ass.

I saw make any fed assistance contingent upon state legislature enacting vaccine and mask mandates as long as testing rates are above a certain % based on population.
Can you provide an updated link showing a correlation between state mask mandates and vaccination rates to lower new Covid cases ?

Can you provide an updated link showing a correlation between state mask mandates and vaccination rates to lower new Covid cases ?
Let me see what I can find. I don't think any one place has a strong enough mask mandate, and certainly not state gov't mandated to where things can be measured. Certainly the CA numbers would hold that they are handling or managing things a bit better than other states, whatever it is they're doing. Anecdotally, ,my bout with COVID in August was likely the result of me being in the car with someone who was infected and I wasn't wearing a mask and I knew he wasn't vaccinated. (I picked my son and his friend up from a scout camping trip). It was the only time I've been around someone in a confined space, unmasked, for a decent amount of time. Would I have still tested positive if I had wore a mask or made the boys wear one in the car? Who knows. We still wear masks and try to avoid large indoor crowds and we have successfully <knock on wood< avoided COVID since August. We are all vaccinated and my wife and I are boosted. We'll see what the start of the school semester brings but Union still has their mask policy in place and that seemed to really minimize infections in the Fall as well.

Reactions: watu05
I’m simply going off what we’re seeing in that conservative bastion of New York. Highest new case numbers in the country over the last ten days with hospitalizations now exceeding 2021 highs. High vaccination rates and strict mask mandates. I’ve been an advocate of getting vaccinated and being healthy as the best way to deal with this virus. Still have serious questions as to the effectiveness of cloth masks in a real world setting. Haven’t seen any correlation.

I have no clue where I picked up the virus. I know more people with it today than at any time over the past two years.

Are California’s pandemic policies working?​

California was always doing better than Texas and Florida in per capita deaths, but today the per capita death rate in Texas is about 35 percent higher than California’s. In Florida, it’s 50 percent higher. Those are massive differences. If Texas and Florida had California’s per capita death rate, they would each have 20,000 more people alive today. Forty thousand lives saved. That’s nontrivial.​

Again always with these articles just after a wave in the south, but not after a wave in that region. And always obsessively focusing on one particular state. Very predictable

Again always with these articles just after a wave in the south, but not after a wave in that region. And always obsessively focusing on one particular state. Very predictable
Yet WATU wants everyone to unite and end tribalism.

Yet WATU wants everyone to unite and end tribalism.
You win! I tested positive. Minor congestion, not-too-bad cough and minor fatigue were my only symptoms. The fatigue is already gone today.

Y'all can expect a lot more repetitive posts from me for a few days since I am living alone in my 180 square foot office/guest room/garage now.

You win! I tested positive. Minor congestion, not-too-bad cough and minor fatigue were my only symptoms. The fatigue is already gone today.

Y'all can expect a lot more repetitive posts from me for a few days since I am living alone in my 180 square foot office/guest room/garage now.
Sounds as if you won't be isolated too long. FWIW my experience and the RX I followed was to start testing five days after the positive PCR test and then test daily until clear with rapid at home tests. My Binax tests went from bright red to pink to nothing over a three day period. Good luck!

Got lucky on the guess. I do believe omicron is everywhere btw so maybe it was an educated guess

I’ve spent a week locked in my bedroom so I feel ya. I have managed to go on a few walks to save my sanity. My seven year old knocks on my door every so often to make sure I’m still alive.

Got lucky on the guess. I do believe omicron is everywhere btw so maybe it was an educated guess

I’ve spent a week locked in my bedroom so I feel ya. I have managed to go on a few walks to save my sanity. My seven year old knocks on my door every so often to make sure I’m still alive.
I feel fortunate to have the equivalent of a small studio apartment to ride it out for a few days.

Reactions: watu05
"No one will be safe until everyone is safe"

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/06/new...nger-until-the-whole-world-is-vaccinated.html

I.E. variants will continue to outpace our ability to combat them unless they A) become totally endemic, or B) We get the vast majority of the world vaccinated to the point that the vaccination updates outpace the rate of mutation.

I’ll save you the suspense. With this illness will never get enough people vaccinated against a new variant fast enough to outpace the mutation of new variants. Not due to resistance to getting vaccinated, but due to it being impossible to vaccinate people that fast on a global scale.

I’ll save you the suspense. With this illness will never get enough people vaccinated against a new variant fast enough to outpace the mutation of new variants. Not due to resistance to getting vaccinated, but due to it being impossible to vaccinate people that fast on a global scale.
I don’t believe that. We outpaced many diseases in the past. The problem isn’t the logistics. It’s the attitude. Drop the vaccine out of C130’s if we have to.

I don’t believe that. We outpaced many diseases in the past. The problem isn’t the logistics. It’s the attitude. Drop the vaccine out of C130’s if we have to.
We aren’t even close in Africa. For example, Congo has a population of 92M people. Fully vaccinated .01%. Many countries bellow 10%. Very little chance to get these people two vaccinations then the necessary boosters every 6 months or when new variant pops up.

How are you doing?
Nice of you to ask. Day 5 and feeling good so thought I would be more active today. I did get tired more easily than usual. But otherwise not noticing much in way of symptoms.

Bored though. Bright spot is finally watching Ted Lasso. Nearly done w season 2.

I’m open to having my mind changed. Have we done it with any highly contagious respiratory viruses?

Nice of you to ask. Day 5 and feeling good so thought I would be more active today. I did get tired more easily than usual. But otherwise not noticing much in way of symptoms.

Bored though. Bright spot is finally watching Ted Lasso. Nearly done w season 2.
Nate sucks :)

Making Nate a villain was a really weird (and poor) choice by the writers imo

Reactions: lawpoke87
I’m open to having my mind changed. Have we done it with any highly contagious respiratory viruses?
Though it wasn't quite as contagious we essentially beat out TB before there were such logistical aids as computers, phones, the internet, and convenient air shipping. Granted, air transport is also a detriment as well as a benefit. Essentially, my argument is that we had an 8-12 month distribution window (Post trials) with the Alpha + Delta variants which had a vaccine that inhibited / prevented transmission. Given what we know about the mRNA vaccines now in terms of necessities for administering them, I think 8-12 months is enough time to get to a herd status around the world via vaccine.... especially if you're distributing the vaccines strategically. (That is to say it would be possible if there weren't such public hesitancy about them)

BTW, for Lawpoke's sake... the TB vaccine's effectiveness wanes after 10 years. We've just eradicated it to such a degree in the US that it's no longer an issue.

Last edited:
He'll be a good villain
Just finished. His anger and resentment did not quite seem natural, but it will be interesting to see how they develop the storyline. However, his disappointment at Roy's lack of anger did ring true with his insecurity.

He'll be a good villain

Could be. Just not a fan of making a likeable character they spent an entire season developing do an immediate 180 into a jerk. It just doesn’t work well with the character they already developed

Good luck. Can you test out now?

Though it wasn't quite as contagious we essentially beat out TB before there were such logistical aids as computers, phones, the internet, and convenient air shipping. Granted, air transport is also a detriment as well as a benefit. Essentially, my argument is that we had an 8-12 month distribution window (Post trials) with the Alpha + Delta variants which had a vaccine that inhibited / prevented transmission. Given what we know about the mRNA vaccines now in terms of necessities for administering them, I think 8-12 months is enough time to get to a herd status around the world via vaccine.... especially if you're distributing the vaccines strategically. (That is to say it would be possible if there weren't such public hesitancy about them)

BTW, for Lawpoke's sake... the TB vaccine's effectiveness wanes after 10 years. We've just eradicated it to such a degree in the US that it's no longer an issue.

This is also a virus with animal reservoirs all over the place. Dogs catch it, monkeys, virtually every mammal it seems is susceptible. We’ve tested large populations of deer where something like half of them had antibodies for SARS-Cov-2. How exactly are we to prevent new variants from spawning in an environment like that?

If anyone here knows of a source of rapid antigen tests in the Tulsa area I would love that info.

How are you feeling now ?
I’m good to go. Still a little congested but it’s nothing more than a nuisance. Thanks for asking

I looked for in home tests last week and found none. Had a co-worker call on Monday for testing. Got in weds. Results back Friday. So an entire work week to get test results. Obviously does almost no good. Don’t understand how testing can be worse today than it was a year ago.

Reactions: TULSARISING
I’m good to go. Still a little congested but it’s nothing more than a nuisance. Thanks for asking

I looked for in home tests last week and found none. Had a co-worker call on Monday for testing. Got in weds. Results back Friday. So an entire work week to get test results. Obviously does almost no good. Don’t understand how testing can be worse today than it was a year ago.
It's the volume of tests being taken.

I can tell because my state hasn't been hit yet and we've had such a surplus of at home tests that they're being stocked in an obscure section of Walmart next to the Condoms. I have no problem getting one, though I did have issue finding where the hell they were. I'm sure that will change once more people start needing tests though.

Driving out to Sand Springs from 11th and Peoria today for my test. Crazy having to go that far out for a timely test.
When I first tested positive my clinic's Covid response doc told me that since I was asymptomatic I should wait five days and then start home testing. Negative home tests on two consecutive days and I could rejoin society. PCR testing has been overwhelmed to the point that people with symptoms or clear knowledge of direct exposure should test. One of the problems is that prior to Omicron only 15% of those tested showed positive, so batch screening could be used to reduce the total number of tests, but now about 50% of the people test positive, so every sample is tested individually. Reduces the number of people who can be tested and delays the results.

If anyone here knows of a source of rapid antigen tests in the Tulsa area I would love that info.
These bots were helpful. Also Walmart home delivery was pretty good for Binax tests when we looked.

Scientists can speculate, but this isn't science.

“I think this becomes a question of how do you put all this together, whether you believe in this series of coincidences, what you know of the lab in Wuhan, how much could be in nature - accidental release or natural event? I am 70:30 or 60:40.”

Later emails showed that by February 4, Sir Jeremy had revised his estimate of a laboratory leak to 50:50, while Professor Eddie Holmes, of the University of Sydney, gave a 60:40 estimate in favour of an accidental release.

Bottom line is that we should not trust China period. Their authoritarian system is antithetical to everything we should stand for. But we cannot turn back the clock and we may never know the origin of the virus. We have to rely on science to help us through it though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT