ADVERTISEMENT

Gut

Same here. Other than Wells, he makes sense. Experience on both sides of the ball, just missing the HC experience.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Frost really wasn't mentioned a ton leading up to BB's inevitable dismissal. Wells, Meacham, Lashlee along with Butch Davis were all prominently associated with the opening as soon as it came about. Frost only came about later and follows somewhat the pattern Dr. Gragg established with the Haith hiring. The important thing to remember is that it is likely Frost came to the search firm and indicated interest which is a good thing for TU.

Can you imagine a conference with Morris and Frost as HCs and the 4 hr games that will likely ensue!?

Frost's age (39) gives him an advantage over Spavital (29) and Lashlee (31). While I think both of them will be fantastic HCs some day, a little more seasoning is probably needed.

This post was edited on 12/9 9:07 AM by TU_BLA

I like the Butch Davis route, but Frost would also be okay.

My gut feeling is that I shouldn't have had a second bowl of chili last night.

Wells. Has been here, is a head coach, can recruit at a place where it's tough to recruit, and is an offensive minded guy. BTW, I don't think one hire (Haith) makes a pattern...

Just not interested in Frost. He'll be gone in a heartbeat if he gets our team to 6-6/7-5 next year.

Originally posted by TU Pilot:
I don't think one hire (Haith) makes a pattern...
+1000
It's kinda like drawing a line using one point.

I didn't start the thread to debate who I want to be the head coach...I've already mentioned Wells would be my choice.

However, my gut is telling me it will be Frost unless they can't work out the contract and Frost would probably also like some assurances on the assistants, recruiting, and academic side of things.

Yes, you're correct...one example isn't a pattern, but things are certainly hush hush again and we keep hearing about the obvious candidates. Who is Gragg talking to that we don't know about? I think the Haith search will be the way Dr. Gragg attempts to conduct major coaching searches for the duration of his career.

Originally posted by Li'l Eric Coley:
Just not interested in Frost. He'll be gone in a heartbeat if he gets our team to 6-6/7-5 next year.
Very possible, that being said the Admin needs to come up with the type of buyout that makes it more difficult for the Pitt's to lure the HC away. I would say such a deal should apply to any of the "hot" up and comers TU is pursuing. I'm in favor of a higher buyout , one that pays out bonus compenstation and decreases the longer the stay.

None of the OC's Chris listed to be in contact with TU are making more than 500 k, except for, M.Norvell, he might be a little north of 500 k based on his new title of "Deputy Dog". If TU is serious about paying $1.2-1.8 mil range, that is a huge pay increase for these candidates and IMO one of them will agree to a higher buyout in exchange for the opportunity and financial security. Over the past 10 years, history has shown this job can launch a coaching career.

TX

Didn't mean for it to turn into a debate... my gut says Wells based purely on how the guy looks on paper. And we'll hopefully know if your theory is correct by the end of the week...

Our programs (football and basketball specifically) always run the risk of losing a coach after a relatively short period of success (e.g. Kragthorpe, Graham, Tubby, Self, Manning, etc.). Not sure how anyone can peg the current candidates as more or less likely to bail after one or two good seasons. That's always a circumstantial thing and varies from coach to coach.

Bill Self, for instance, wasn't looking to take another job but then the Illinois gig opened up unexpectedly when Lon Kruger left for the Atlanta Hawks. If Wake Forest doesn't open up last year, Manning is probably still in Tulsa. Steve Kragthorpe might have stayed in Tulsa another year if it hadn't been for his relationship with the Louisville AD.

So to say that Frost would bail after a year or two but Wells or another candidate wouldn't is pure conjecture.

cb

Look at TG at Rice. He was a one year wonder there before coming back to TU as HC, but he also revived their program down in Houston. Would they have traded that single year of success for some other coach who would have stayed their long term with mediocre results? I'd take the one year under TG. Their program has been stronger ever since.

IMO

TG was a unique situation IMO. If he had a crystal ball and knew Kragthorpe was leaving the next year, Graham doesn't leave. Everyone knew he was next in line at TU. I was shocked that Bubba actually was able to get him back from Rice (other than Bill Self being hired, perhaps the quickest HC search and hire at TU).

My vote is for re-hiring Kragthorpe, what a great guy and a motivator.

At any rate, we should make a decision soon because all these good candidates will be gone soon.

Peterson's issue was over-coaching a team that needed very little coaching. Heck having no HC at all would have landed them in the sweet 16 again.

Seeing some twitter run that Lashlee is out. Not sure how credible any of it is. However, if we start seeing statements from coaches that they are WD'ing from consideration it usually means the AD has his man and the others were notified they were not the choice. SOP in these searches is to give known candidates some time to publicly WD from consideration and save some face before the announcement is made. We may be getting close.

Originally posted by cbonham:

So to say that Frost would bail after a year or two but Wells or another candidate wouldn't is pure conjecture.

cb
It's actually an easy hypothesis and conclusion to draw. Frost has absolutely no ties to Tulsa. NONE. Wells is from Sallisaw and obviously has been an assistant here. Four years of Stud Wells > One year of Doofus Frost. Of course all this is "pure conjecture" since we know Butch Davis is the best candidate.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT