ADVERTISEMENT

Guards game

dmarsh1985

I.T.S. Senior
Oct 30, 2008
It's a fact, if your guards play well your team will compete, if they get held to 0 free throws and get beat time and time again with every facet of the game...well then you get nothing, which happened tonight on National television. Just don't see it getting turn fully around any time soon, but gosh it can't get much worse from the outside

They can't shoot well consistantly. Period...this team has too many holes to fix this season. Nice run thru the bottom of the league bracket, but Larry Brown burst that bubble. Two more studs are needed badly for next season.

None of our guards will get or deserve all-conference consideration the way they are falling apart. These aren't freshmen or sophs. They're big boys and they need to step it up.

I think we are seeing a team that peaked too early. Signs have been there prior to SMU. Hopefully they get some confidence back soon. It was fun while it lasted though!

Lost two games to better teams. Weaknesses exposed. Two more conference losses will put us somewhere around last four in, first four out, that is if the conference tournament is not a disaster.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

The team is playing much more tentative than they did a few weeks ago. They aren't passing like they did but dribbling more like in days past. If you watched UCONN on offense last night it was pass, pass, pass until they had an opening. I was shocked at the 10-second call. As quick as our guards are they should never have that called. It's a shame too because Smith is starting to wake up and be a factor on offense. If Shaq and Juice were playing like they can then we could be blowing these teams out instead of the other way around. I'm concerned that an at-large is out of the question without wins over Cincinnati and SMU. I'm hoping the guys get it together in the next couple of weeks and we get hot in the tourney again.

TU will not be beating SMU on their court . Dribble penetration for lay-ups is extremely difficult when the other team has a "BIG" hovering around the rim playing zone defense.. Without any legitimate outside threat, TU is in a world of hurt.

Originally posted by canefansincerhome:
TU will not be beating SMU on their court . Dribble penetration for lay-ups is extremely difficult when the other team has a "BIG" hovering around the rim playing zone defense.. Without any legitimate outside threat, TU is in a world of hurt.
SMU and UCONN had their bigs cutting off the guard penetration at the free throw line, and both teams bigs were athletic enough to stay with the guard on the rare occassion they made it to the rim. The end result was a rejected or badly missed shot. I believe "1" time TU executed a nice pick-and-roll when Brimah left Swanny to cut-off the Curtis, the result was an easy dunk for Swanny. This is a serious problem for TU. I would assume Dunphy and Davis will employ the same strategy, Pastner is likely too stubborn to adjust.

TX

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT