ADVERTISEMENT

Game thoughts Houston

I've seen people who would be insistent that they aren't in camp 1.

I think it’s very fair to say: “I was prepared for us to be bad. That’s not Konkol’s fault. But I hoped to see some signs of improvement during the season rather than regression. That is something a coach is accountable for.” No one has been more negative than that.

I think it’s very fair to say: “I was prepared for us to be bad. That’s not Konkol’s fault. But I hoped to see some signs of improvement during the season rather than regression. That is something a coach is accountable for.” No one has been more negative than that.
I understand that. I truly do. But the eye test shows that individual players have improved. I mean look at Dalger and even Pritchard. That means as much to me because I know the roster will be totally different with a few holdovers.

Tell astrobite it's an excuse when you don't get the players in the first place. :rolleyes:

July 21, 2021 college athletes begin signing Nil deals.
March 21,2022 Konkol is hired.
April & May 2022 Konkol finds four recruits and loses 1 or 2 because of Nil

We did lose portal player recruitment to other schools from the portal last spring due to NIL You are incorrect.
That was what I was referring to in above quote.

We did lose portal player recruitment to other schools from the portal last spring due to NIL You are incorrect.
You're saying that a significant number of the 1732 D1 transfers from 2022 got NIL money?

I would argue that roughly half the players in the portal (including some very good players) transferred to schools that don't have any semblance of NIL or one just as limited as ours has been.

If we lost battles in the portal, it's because we were targeting the wrong sorts of players.

Insufferable, he's got an excuse in his head for everything.

Last edited:
It is difficult to change the direction of a program while inheriting the bulk of the program from the former hapless coaching staff. Year 2 will be more representative of direction than this year has been. For example, the one carryover bad actor that has bounced from Ark to TU will finally be gone. Giving freshmen playing time helps to evaluate them for next year and the future and whether they can contribute to the team’s success.

Reactions: seniorgolfer
It is difficult to change the direction of a program while inheriting the bulk of the program from the former hapless coaching staff. Year 2 will be more representative of direction than this year has been. For example, the one carryover bad actor that has bounced from Ark to TU will finally be gone. Giving freshmen playing time helps to evaluate them for next year and the future and whether they can contribute to the team’s success.
Really good comments...
Konkol&Co. started with a team that was composed of too many players that
had significant gaps in their skill sets, and physical abilities that were short of what
is required to compete successfully at the D-1 level.....Even when "coached up" to
their short term maximums, they simply cannot compete with bigger and better
players...

In the short run, it seems Konkol and staff have done the things necessary to
bring the team to a competitive standard: As you say, he has played the freshmen,
recruited some size and ability for next year and beyond, and is continuing attempts
to add to next season's recruiting class....That staff is not used to losing, and it is
obvious they are doing everything they can to correct it.....It appears that a major
overhaul of the roster during the off season is/will be underway.....

I agree....Year 2 will be more representative of the future direction of the program....
Let's all hope that Konkol and staff can get it done...I think they can! Carson-Dickson
are supplying more administrative support than past regimes, but NIL and the portal
are relatively new problems for schools of TU's size that have to be dealt with.....

This coming recruiting period is obviously important....Here's wishing Konkol&Co.
good hunting through the spring....

Last edited:
Really good comments...
Konkol&Co. started with a team that was composed of too many players that
had significant gaps in their skill sets, and physical abilities that were short of what
is required to compete successfully at the D-1 level.....Even when "coached up" to
their short term maximums, they simply cannot compete with bigger and better
players...

In the short run, it seems Konkol and staff have done the things necessary to
bring the team to a competitive standard: As you say, he has played the freshmen,
recruited some size and ability for next year and beyond, and is continuing attempts
to add to next season's recruiting class....That staff is not used to losing, and it is
obvious they are doing everything they can to correct it.....It appears that a major
overhaul of the roster during the off season is/will be underway.....

I agree....Year 2 will be more representative of the future direction of the program....
Let's all hope that Konkol and staff can get it done...I think they can! Carson-Dickson
are supplying more administrative support than past regimes, but NIL and the portal
are relatively new problems for schools of TU's size that have to be dealt with.....

This coming recruiting period is obviously important....Here's wishing Konkol&Co.
good hunting through the spring....
+ short handed the past 2 games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT