ADVERTISEMENT

📝 Larry Lewis Game Recap: TU tripped up by ORU in Mayor's Cup

Chris Harmon

ITS Publisher
Staff
Aug 15, 2002
Tulsa, OK
tulsa.rivals.com
In an old-style offensive shootout reminiscent of the mid 1970's Mayor's Cup games between TU and ORU, it was the reigning Sweet 16 Golden Eagles that employed their firepower to the fullest.

ORU superstar Max Abmas lived up to his reputation, and got a few breaks as a result , scoring 38 points to lead ORU to a 87-80 victory Monday night in front of a crowd of 5,239 at ORU's Mabee Center.

Sorta kinda offense last night....I kept watching for TU to set up Griffin, but xnay.....Nothing of the
sort.....I keep contending that KES is about 15 dribbles above the limit on each possession down
the floor when he is in....

I know he plays as hard as he can, but he is simply not a PG.....Our possessions when he is at PG
are dumpster fires...(Ok, Ok--I stole that from TU_Bla) Haith seems to want to protect Griffin
from the extra work associated with PG, but in truth, by playing K.E.S at the position, he is
keeping Griffin almost out of the offense....He (Griffin) probably had his most ineffective game
last night as a Hurricane.....Griffin is way too good of a shooter (and player) for that to happen....

Most team sports, and BB in particular, are both a science and an art....Giving your best players
a situation where they can succeed at what they do best is coaching that uses both........Some-
times we get a glimpse of that with Haith, and sometimes we don't.....

Haith seems to have a Haywood/K.E.S. syndrome that dictates he has to give each of them over
15 minutes per game.....Last night each played OK, but not anything special.....That, by the way is
the best either has played this year.....Can we give them those kind of minutes, and expect any
thing much better, or for them to generate stats that will make us successful??

Haith seems blind to alternatives, and given the lack of experience on the bench, there may not
be a whole bunch....

We are good about 8 deep....If we have to go deeper than that, we may be in serious trouble, but
one thing seems apparent....Griffin should play PG when Pritchard takes a rest....

Last edited:
KES has greatly improved his shot so far this year but his ball handling is horrible. While Pritchard will occasionally dribble into a double team he is light years beyond KES as a ball handler and passer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT