ADVERTISEMENT

📝 Larry Lewis Game Recap -- Hurricane runs away from Temple, 48-26

Chris Harmon

ITS Publisher
Staff
Aug 15, 2002
Tulsa, OK
tulsa.rivals.com
With a seemingly unstoppable pass and run threat from Cardell Williams, combined with a stifling defense, Temple didn't stand a chance. The result was a convincing, old fashioned 48-26 Tulsa whipping of visiting Temple Thursday night in front of a crowd of 17,538 at H.A. Chapman Stadium in the AAC conference opener.

With a seemingly unstoppable pass and run threat from Cardell Williams, combined with a stifling defense, Temple didn't stand a chance. The result was a convincing, old fashioned 48-26 Tulsa whipping of visiting Temple Thursday night in front of a crowd of 17,538 at H.A. Chapman Stadium in the AAC conference opener.

Excellent article @Larry Lewis, it was up to KW standards. That remark was written to be incredibly complimentary to you, and well deserved.

This totally blew my mind:

"The kickoff coverage, which had been mostly good this season, reverted back to its nightmarish form that it had shown in previous seasons. So after that TD return, Wilson was taking no chances. Even though Michael Slaba's kickoffs have been pretty good, Wilson chose to have Connor Bryan come in and squib kick Tulsa's last four kickoffs well short of Temple's deep return men."

KW must be playing some jujitsu ninja mind warp trick with the special teams. Other than the long return ("And otherwise how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln"), the KO team didn't give them good field position like with the Bryan squib kicks. Hopefully those guys earn the right to go back to regular kicking. Controlling field position is really critical for us and that ain't happening with the squibs.

I wish I'd paid more attention. Did he just replace the entire return team with the second team? That would send a message...

Reactions: Larry Lewis
This totally blew my mind:

"The kickoff coverage, which had been mostly good this season, reverted back to its nightmarish form that it had shown in previous seasons. So after that TD return, Wilson was taking no chances. Even though Michael Slaba's kickoffs have been pretty good, Wilson chose to have Connor Bryan come in and squib kick Tulsa's last four kickoffs well short of Temple's deep return men."

KW must be playing some jujitsu ninja mind warp trick with the special teams. Other than the long return ("And otherwise how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln"), the KO team didn't give them good field position like with the Bryan squib kicks. Hopefully those guys earn the right to go back to regular kicking. Controlling field position is really critical for us and that ain't happening with the squibs.

I wish I'd paid more attention. Did he just replace the entire return team with the second team? That would send a message...
I don't think he replaced the whole coverage team. I admit I hadn't looked at first in the game to see who was on kick coverage, but afterwards, the coverage team looked legit. A few starters out there. Maybe he changed a couple of guys. I'm not sure.

I do think the squib kicks were meant to send a message to the coverage team. And also perhaps to regroup and fix the problem in practice this coming week. Also, an excuse to reward a walk-on kicker with playing time that he has never gotten at TU.

Wilson likes walk-ons who work hard, especially, I think, since he was a walk-on himself at UNC for 2 years before earning a scholarship.

He sent Dayne Hodge to the interview room as one of the 2 players in the post-game press conference. He likes what Hodge, a walk-on, has done, and is giving him a lot of playing time. And Hodge is producing. Walter Young Bear has been getting a little playing time on the offensive line as a backup. Wilson clearly likes Young Bear as well.

Clearly, Wilson isn't going to put up with giving up kick returns for touchdowns.

I don't think he replaced the whole coverage team. I admit I hadn't looked at first in the game to see who was on kick coverage, but afterwards, the coverage team looked legit. A few starters out there. Maybe he changed a couple of guys. I'm not sure.

I do think the squib kicks were meant to send a message to the coverage team. And also perhaps to regroup and fix the problem in practice this coming week. Also, an excuse to reward a walk-on kicker with playing time that he has never gotten at TU.

Wilson likes walk-ons who work hard, especially, I think, since he was a walk-on himself at UNC for 2 years before earning a scholarship.

He sent Dayne Hodge to the interview room as one of the 2 players in the post-game press conference. He likes what Hodge, a walk-on, has done, and is giving him a lot of playing time. And Hodge is producing. Walter Young Bear has been getting a little playing time on the offensive line as a backup. Wilson clearly likes Young Bear as well.

Clearly, Wilson isn't going to put up with giving up kick returns for touchdowns.
I like the sentiment for walkons, especially in a game we were dominating, but I'm not sure it's worth giving the bad guys 10 - 20 yards per possession otherwise.

Didn't the first squib only go 10 yards?

Didn't look like a real onside kick.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT