ADVERTISEMENT

Fire or extend

Don't get your hopes up. Anytime the admin does something that hurts us competitively to save $$, Huffy comes on with the "I know more than you and happy days are just around the corner" posts. I've wondered for a long time if he is affiliated withe the school and gets his talking points straight from the administration. Best case, we're accepting mediocrity at most for 2 years while we build out administrative staff. Couldn't we hire a new coach and build out administrative staff at the same time? Or our "best case" is we need a very cheap coach and couldn't get anyone better than Montgomery since we need the $$ for other things, so we suck it for 2 years and hope the other things pay off? That's a pretty weak a$$ "best" if you ask me.
I’m not employed by the University. Nobody tells me what to post here. Those officials with the power to give me an official message from TU, who know me, don’t know Im Huffy. And they know full well my public statements of disagreements with TU date back to the 1980s. Im not haulin their water. And only a fool would, given the comedy of the Parmley, Clancy, Gragg, Levit and other eras.

I do take the time to read what the University publishes. I then contact knowledgeable friends and colleagues, as well as friendly TU employees. Every once in awhile, I’ll make a phone call to the administration. I don’t need to spam the Athletic Director. He sees me at the games and stops me. I do listen rather than talk at GHC pre-game meals when senior boosters comment on subject or the other. You build credibility through respect and thoughtful engagement.

This allows me to synthesize information that I can use to formulate a well informed outlook.

Anybody can compare the TU Commitment with the current strategic plan. The former was openly hostile to athletics. The latter has athletics as a main pillar, images of TU football and discussion on goals to return TU to the athletics department we came to expect under Bubba. Then we hired Dickson full time (for now).

Read that, pick up the phone, ask questions, give, and don’t throw bombs. You’ll get a good feel quickly that these people, finally, know what they are doing. You guys are worried if two years may be too late. The reality is that now may be too late, but what we’ve got now is a leadership team that is the best we could ask for even under the best of times.

People don’t worry. Every little thing, gonna be alright.

I’m not employed by the University. Nobody tells me what to post here. Those officials with the power to give me an official message from TU, who know me, don’t know Im Huffy. And they know full well my public statements of disagreements with TU date back to the 1980s. Im not haulin their water. And only a fool would, given the comedy of the Parmley, Clancy, Gragg, Levit and other eras.

I do take the time to read what the University publishes. I then contact knowledgeable friends and colleagues, as well as friendly TU employees. Every once in awhile, I’ll make a phone call to the administration. I don’t need to spam the Athletic Director. He sees me at the games and stops me. I do listen rather than talk at GHC pre-game meals when senior boosters comment on subject or the other. You build credibility through respect and thoughtful engagement.

This allows me to synthesize information that I can use to formulate a well informed outlook.

Anybody can compare the TU Commitment with the current strategic plan. The former was openly hostile to athletics. The latter has athletics as a main pillar, images of TU football and discussion on goals to return TU to the athletics department we came to expect under Bubba. Then we hired Dickson full time (for now).

Read that, pick up the phone, ask questions, give, and don’t throw bombs. You’ll get a good feel quickly that these people, finally, know what they are doing. You guys are worried if two years may be too late. The reality is that now may be too late, but what we’ve got now is a leadership team that is the best we could ask for even under the best of times.

Maybe you'll let me buy you a beer next time I come up to watch a TU game? Could really use your jealously guarded insight so I can assuage my own fears that things aren't gonna be alright. I'm just grasping at straws when I try to figure out where TU is headed...

If the admin has this all planned out and knows what they’re doing, maybe some sort of news release from TU regarding athletics would be nice. I’m not asking for every detail, but a broad overview about the direction they want to go and maybe a few answers to some of the main questions that seem to pop up all the time.

maybe I’m asking for too much.

We had the misfortune of sending our kids to a school that had an "issue" with a teacher whose interest in 5 and 6 year old girls was much more than just educational (fortunately my kids were older). We volunteered some before we got the hell out as fast as we could and saw the inside workings of their crisis communication firm's strategy, which focused on making it look like the admin had been perfect and done nothing wrong. They had 2 tiers of parents involved in their crisis communications - a "SWAT team" that knew they were involved and got messaging directly from the admin and knew the strategy. They were sent to parties and parent meetings with pre-set questions and instructed on approach to diminish the concerns of parents were weren't 100% on board. Tier 2 were people who weren't as deeply involved but still got talking points (tho not called that). They got invited to events to make them feel special and inculcate them, they had more access than the rank and file to people at the school, they got "insider" info. They were given a big, warm hug by the admin and given lots of reasons to support the admin and deeply hit with the messaging. They were never told they were being used as part of the strategy. It was interesting. Some figured it out but a lot thought they were acting on their own. I'm always suspicious of people who are too rah rah, too accepting, too much messaging from the cult. Especially when you see the same thing from the same people over a long amount of time. But hey, I don't have any inside info.

Reactions: Tulsa76
I can’t speak for their thinking but the numbers indicate that fan attendance isn’t a priority, it’s a luxury. Whether that thinking started in the early 90s or when we got the AAC money is a matter of debate.
If fan support is low on the list of priorities for D1 sports, I do wonder what the high priorities would be? TV ratings I guess, but can that be sustained without fan interest? Hard to believe but perhaps.

If the formula does not include cultivating a passionate fan base, I feel bad for every person on this board. There are fewer and fewer of us anyway as each mediocre season passes by. I for one feel like I am slowly losing something important in my life - every year it diminishes.

We had the misfortune of sending our kids to a school that had an "issue" with a teacher whose interest in 5 and 6 year old girls was much more than just educational (fortunately my kids were older). We volunteered some before we got the hell out as fast as we could and saw the inside workings of their crisis communication firm's strategy, which focused on making it look like the admin had been perfect and done nothing wrong. They had 2 tiers of parents involved in their crisis communications - a "SWAT team" that knew they were involved and got messaging directly from the admin and knew the strategy. They were sent to parties and parent meetings with pre-set questions and instructed on approach to diminish the concerns of parents were weren't 100% on board. Tier 2 were people who weren't as deeply involved but still got talking points (tho not called that). They got invited to events to make them feel special and inculcate them, they had more access than the rank and file to people at the school, they got "insider" info. They were given a big, warm hug by the admin and given lots of reasons to support the admin and deeply hit with the messaging. They were never told they were being used as part of the strategy. It was interesting. Some figured it out but a lot thought they were acting on their own. I'm always suspicious of people who are too rah rah, too accepting, too much messaging from the cult. Especially when you see the same thing from the same people over a long amount of time. But hey, I don't have any inside info.
I’m sorry your family went through that. It sounds like you question a lot of our institutions. With justification at times.

That has nothing to do with me. You don’t have to look too far back to find archived messages from me 5 years ago that wanted plenty of these jokers gone and measurable improvement immediately, including Levit while she was still at the law school. People got so tired of my complaints and warnings they unsubscribed. Many still have me on mute.

Spend some time on campus. Ask questions. Call Carson. He will answer. He will tell you admissions is on track for record applicants at significantly increased educational standards from locations we’ve never reached before. PoC admits are up significantly. Dickson will tell you money in the bank donations to athletics is up and looking rosy. TU has turned a corner on deficit spending and paying down debt.

But it’s not all rosy. For instance the faculty still aren’t getting their retirement matching and it’s killing TU’s academic reputation and recruiting.

So ask yourself, how would you feel at your job if they told you they wouldn’t be funding your retirement temporarily due to past budget deficits, then they turned around and spent $4 million in golden parachutes for two Vice Presidents and hired two replacements at higher salaries? You’d leave right?

It’s gonna take time, but athletics is part of the plan and a picture of the football stadium is on the cover of the plan. And that’s never happened before and why we are in this mess.

Last edited:
Poor attendance along with lack of interest in the program would seem to make recruiting problematic. You’re not going to win many recruiting battles with 10k in the stands and the general perception that no one cares about the program. I challenge TU’s belief that the program can thrive with no one in the stands as long as the few fans we have subscribed to ESPNplus or whatever service which we may be affiliated. Good luck getting kids who want to play in that atmosphere. Long term…it’s a losing strategy imo.

Anyone care to try to convince me otherwise ?

Reactions: TU 1978
Someone called out Huffy perfectly on here and I will just leave it at that.

No program will survive without fan support and our money of 7m a year is guarenteed until this contract is up in 2032 so all this we think this we think that is trash. Nor is it what the school thinks considering the blitz I got about donations and tickets. What Tulsa and its administration are doing is mailing it in.

We could easily have Graham for the reduced price on Monty and already be ahead just on his relationships in the city, there is zero reason for any program trying to be competitive to extend this failure. The interaction between this university and the city is dominated by our athletics, a school with this small of an alumni base most not local, can not survive without its relationship to the city.

For those of you thinking oh :crap: we're stuck with Rice. Dream on, Rice is well into a 100m dollar athletic fundraising push, SMU and Memphis are likely out the door with USF and Tulane along with a new Rice making a push to get considered in the next round.

What we are watching is the utter failure of Tulsa athletics. I'll enjoy the wbb ride the next two or three years before that coach moves on but this is going to be a hard thing to watch crumble over the next three to four years. Sad days.

No idea where I will spend my money and most Saturdays now, but I am sure I will find something more worth while than this.

Can tell you even in years past we’ve had coaches embarrassed to bring recruits on official visits on gameday. Can’t imagine what it’s like now. There’s no hiding the fact that a player will play games in front of no one. “We’ll sell a bunch of streaming subscriptions without getting fans to buy in enough to purchase tickets to games” is brain dead

Last edited:
The times they are a changing. Everybody is way down in attendance except the blue bloods. Streaming/TV 📺 contracts are the money maker. Whether that carries out to successful programs without fans in the stands is still up in the air. But if I was forced to bet one way or the other I'd bet streaming without many fans in the stands.

The times they are a changing. Everybody is way down in attendance except the blue bloods. Streaming/TV 📺 contracts are the money maker. Whether that carries out to successful programs without fans in the stands is still up in the air. But if I was forced to bet one way or the other I'd bet streaming without many fans in the stands.

Good luck growing subscriptions from people who have never seen a Tulsa game in person. You’re basically banking on people having zero personal connection to the school, city, or program pay to watch you

Last edited:
Good luck growing subscriptions from people who have never seen a Tulsa game in person. You’re basically banking on people having zero personal connection to the school, city, or program pay to watch you
What a freaking joke. The idea that we can put a boring product on the field and consistently lose more than we win to the point that people who live 2 miles away don't want to come watch us but somehow we'll magically entice tens of thousands of people who don't know who we are to subscribe to watch our games is a complete fantasy. Nobody in the administration thinks that'll happen, they just say that because what choice do they have, come out and say "we've given up on fans because we can't afford to be competitive"? I'm looking forward to Huffy's posts in a few years saying, sure nobody comes to our games and nobody streams us and Monty is 56-76 after 12 years but great things are happening so just put up with Monty for another couple years and streaming and attendance don't matter anyway, it's all about how many people experience our games in VR in the metaverse and we'll kill it there and then maybe we can make it into the Sun Belt where we want to be!!!

Last edited:
What a freaking joke. The idea that we can put a boring product on the field and consistently lose more than we win to the point that people who live 2 miles away don't want to come watch us but somehow we'll magically entice tens of thousands of people who don't know who we are to subscribe to watch our games is a complete fantasy. Nobody in the administration thinks that'll happen, they just say that because what choice do they have, just come out and say "you're right, we've given up on fans because we can't afford to be competitive"? I'm looking forward to Huffy's posts in a few years saying, sure nobody comes to our games and nobody streams our games and Monty is 56-76 after 12 years but great things are happening so just put up with Monty for another couple years and streaming and attendance don't matter anyway, it's all about how many people experience our games in VR in the metaverse and we'll kill it there and then maybe we can make it into the Sun Belt where we want to be!!!
Us on this board asking about the TU streaming subscription strategy.

ibv0ij5do0m31.png

I’m sorry your family went through that. It sounds like you question a lot of our institutions. With justification at times.

That has nothing to do with me. You don’t have to look too far back to find archived messages from me 5 years ago that wanted plenty of these jokers gone and measurable improvement immediately, including Levit while she was still at the law school. People got so tired of my complaints and warnings they unsubscribed. Many still have me on mute.

Spend some time on campus. Ask questions. Call Carson. He will answer. He will tell you admissions is on track for record applicants at significantly increased educational standards from locations we’ve never reached before. PoC admits are up significantly. Dickson will tell you money in the bank donations to athletics is up and looking rosy. TU has turned a corner on deficit spending and paying down debt.

But it’s not all rosy. For instance the faculty still aren’t getting their retirement matching and it’s killing TU’s academic reputation and recruiting.

So ask yourself, how would you feel at your job if they told you they wouldn’t be funding your retirement temporarily due to past budget deficits, then they turned around and spent $4 million in golden parachutes for two Vice Presidents and hired two replacements at higher salaries? You’d leave right?

It’s gonna take time, but athletics is part of the plan and a picture of the football stadium is on the cover of the plan. And that’s never happened before and why we are in this mess.
I appreciate your sentiment but we didn't have problems other than being shocked by the Herculean efforts the school went to in order to avoid taking accountability for their failures. That's what communication strategy is about, convincing people that bad is good, that low attendance is fine, that we're getting better even as we lose. And convincing people that someone is at fault other than the people in charge - avoiding accountability at all cost. I have no doubt that TU is doing it and that we are the "audience" of some of that.

Last edited:
I can't argue with your conclusion, the answer is obviously fire both. On the comparative Sagarins and KenPoms, I don't think that tells us much about Frank and Monty (the implication kinda seems to be that they're both at the average of what we should expect at TU, or at the "normal" level for TU and I don't think that's right). But I think it tells us that we need to clear house in the athletic department and fire whoever is hiring coaches. Tho natural selection might have handled that. 17 years of Phillips, Doug and Manning doesn't make me think "maybe I should appreciate Frank", it makes me think "who the hell's running this place??"
Most dynamic Tulsa football coach : Henry Frnka
Most dynamic basketball coach : Nolan Richardson

Both left TU after four years

Football runnerups : Glenn Dobbs (a favorite son) , John Cooper & Todd Graham

Basketball runnerups : Ken Hayes, Tubby Smith & reluctantly Bill Self (could never stand his phoniness)

Reactions: Tulsa76
What a freaking joke. The idea that we can put a boring product on the field and consistently lose more than we win to the point that people who live 2 miles away don't want to come watch us but somehow we'll magically entice tens of thousands of people who don't know who we are to subscribe to watch our games is a complete fantasy. Nobody in the administration thinks that'll happen, they just say that because what choice do they have, come out and say "we've given up on fans because we can't afford to be competitive"? I'm looking forward to Huffy's posts in a few years saying, sure nobody comes to our games and nobody streams us and Monty is 56-76 after 12 years but great things are happening so just put up with Monty for another couple years and streaming and attendance don't matter anyway, it's all about how many people experience our games in VR in the metaverse and we'll kill it there and then maybe we can make it into the Sun Belt where we want to be!!!
I live less than 2 miles from campus and am dropping tickets.

Perhaps the message is it is just too early for a coaching change. Trust us.

If that is true they need to make this supposedly compelling vision public. Right now it seems like vaporware.

I live less than 2 miles from campus and am dropping tickets.

Perhaps the message is it is just too early for a coaching change. Trust us.

If that is true they need to make this supposedly compelling vision public. Right now it seems like vaporware.
Huffy already told us the strategy - athletics is in a holding pattern for a few years while the school focuses on other things and in a couple of years, if those things get worked out, then we can start to think about athletics.

That's this part - "So ask yourself, how would you feel at your job if they told you they wouldn’t be funding your retirement temporarily due to past budget deficits, then they turned around and spent $4 million in golden parachutes for two Vice Presidents and hired two replacements at higher salaries? You’d leave right?" Athletics gets nothing until higher priority items are resolved.

But THIS is the real money part, honestly the only thing in his posts that matters and I really hope you caught it - "You guys are worried if two years may be too late. The reality is that now may be too late, but what we’ve got now is a leadership team that is the best we could ask for even under the best of times."

This is where they set up the story to avoid blame if we miss the conference boat because of this 2 years of holding pattern - "it wasn't our fault, it was too late when we came in anyway". They don't have a compelling vision and they're admitting it. They're not saying, don't worry, we got this. They're saying, yeah, you're quite possibly right that we'll get screwed because of this but don't blame us. It's how they avoid blame and pass the buck. This is where they're going with this, 2 years or so of holding pattern for athletics and if we get screwed because of it, it's not our fault.

But THIS is the real money part, honestly the only thing in his posts that matters and I really hope you caught it - "You guys are worried if two years may be too late. The reality is that now may be too late, but what we’ve got now is a leadership team that is the best we could ask for even under the best of times."

Missed that part. Yikes.

In the last 20 years:

Monty teams: 79th average Sagarin ranking
non-Monty teams: 83rd

Haith teams: 109th average KenPom ranking
non-Haith teams: 115th

Football has the potential to make more money and it drives conference re-alignment, but a small alumni base limits the ceiling. Basketball has a more recent history as an elite program and requires less investment, but will always be second fiddle in the state.

Haith has a 17-year track record as a poor-to-mediocre head coach. Monty has a 7-year track record as a poor-to-mediocre head coach.

A functional athletic department would fire both. If I could only choose one, it's Haith, but it's a close call.
how does he compare with the Glenn Dobbs era, Kraigthorpe era, Graham era?

Huffy already told us the strategy - athletics is in a holding pattern for a few years while the school focuses on other things and in a couple of years, if those things get worked out, then we can start to think about athletics.

That's this part - "So ask yourself, how would you feel at your job if they told you they wouldn’t be funding your retirement temporarily due to past budget deficits, then they turned around and spent $4 million in golden parachutes for two Vice Presidents and hired two replacements at higher salaries? You’d leave right?" Athletics gets nothing until higher priority items are resolved.

This is where they set up the story to avoid blame if we miss the conference boat because of this 2 years of holding pattern - "it wasn't our fault, it was too late when we came in anyway". They don't have a compelling vision and they're admitting it. They're not saying, don't worry, we got this. They're saying, yeah, you're quite possibly right that we'll get screwed because of this but don't blame us. It's how they avoid blame and pass the buck. This is where they're going with this, 2 years or so of holding pattern for athletics and if we get screwed because of it, it's not our fault.
What I don't know is if TU has any choice in de-prioritizing athletics for a couple years. Think Scenario 1, you're credit cards are maxed and you have $1.47 in the bank. You want a new couch but you literally can't pay for it, so you don't buy it. Scenario 2, you want to pay off your credit cards but would like a new couch, too. You could pay for the new couch but that would slow down paying off your cards and the couch isn't that much of a priority so you don't buy it.

Is TU in Scenario 1 and literally can't invest in athletics or Scenario 2 and just doesn't prioritize athletics? It's hard to know b/c in the last couple years, TU has at different times said it was in both Scenario 1 and Scenario 2, depending on what suited its need at the moment. My strong guess is it's Scenario 2 and we have self-imposed deadlines that will be hard to reach if we invest in athletics, but we could do it if it was enough of a priority. But I don't know. A straight answer on that is what we want but will never get.

What I don't know is if TU has any choice in de-prioritizing athletics for a couple years. Think Scenario 1, you're credit cards are maxed and you have $1.47 in the bank. You want a new couch but you literally can't pay for it, so you don't buy it. Scenario 2, you want to pay off your credit cards but would like a new couch, too. You could pay for the new couch but that would slow down paying off your cards and the couch isn't that much of a priority so you don't buy it.

Is TU in Scenario 1 and literally can't invest in athletics or Scenario 2 and just doesn't prioritize athletics? It's hard to know b/c in the last couple years, TU has at different times said it was in both Scenario 1 and Scenario 2, depending on what suited its need at the moment. My strong guess is it's Scenario 2 and we have self-imposed deadlines that will be hard to reach if we invest in athletics, but we could do it if it was enough of a priority. But I don't know. A straight answer on that is what we want but will never get.
It’s neither. But Scenario 2 is closer to reality than 1. It’s more like Scenario 3. You want a new couch, but you’ve had a series of ex wives handling your checkbook and you’re just now figuring out how to budget effectively in the middle of CoVid to deal with their idiotic way of managing the limited funds in the account. You want the couch and can buy it. But if you wait to buy the couch, get the checkbook balanced, and pay off the financing on the coffee table, you’ll have money for the couch and a really cool surround sound system too. But that’s not as much of an issue as it is paying attention to the new roof being installed and the chance you may be joining a new HOA soon with higher fees.

It’s neither. But Scenario 2 is closer to reality than 1. It’s more like Scenario 3. You want a new couch, but you’ve had a series of ex wives handling your checkbook and you’re just now figuring out how to budget effectively in the middle of CoVid to deal with their idiotic way of managing the limited funds in the account. You want the couch and can buy it. But if you wait to buy the couch, get the checkbook balanced, and pay off the financing on the coffee table, you’ll have money for the couch and a really cool surround sound system too. But that’s not as much of an issue as it is paying attention to the new roof being installed and the chance you may be joining a new HOA soon with higher fees.
I hope we like the new HOA

You MUST be drunk.

Oh I see. The key to getting into a better conference is NOT investing in athletics. My mistake, this is why it's good to have real pros in charge! I thought actually trying to improve and pretending to care about athletics would make us more attractive. But I see we're taking the old "hard to get" route. I assume we'll tell Gragg to tell Bubba to tell TCU's AD that we really like them and would like if they'd ask us out?

I mean, the admin has shown that they think TU alumni and fans will believe literally anything no matter how far-fetched and fanciful but surely they recognize that even we have some limits to our credulity? Or maybe not?

And duly noted on this being someone else's fault. Good job of working that talking point in, I commend your message discipline.

Last edited:
Reactions: TU4ever2
This is how we make Steve Largents. It's no different than the bull:crap: they tried to pass off on the academic side recently.

It's almost like they have no idea what kind of an education the alums earned there. How this institute of higher learning teaches people to critically examine information. Then the administration seems surprised we don't just accept bad logic, strawmen, and badly framed facts.

It's literally a guy wearing too much cologne, a half buttoned shirt to show off his gold chain, asking a married woman at a church what her zodiac sign is as a pick up line.

This is how we make Steve Largents. It's no different than the bull:crap: they tried to pass off on the academic side recently.

It's almost like they have no idea what kind of an education the alums earned there. How this institute of higher learning teaches people to critically examine information. Then the administration seems surprised we don't just accept bad logic, strawmen, and badly framed facts.

It's literally a guy wearing too much cologne, a half buttoned shirt to show off his gold chain, asking a married woman at a church what her zodiac sign is as a pick up line.
Takes a licking, and keeps on ticking. Nice tease on being thru with this team. Go vent elsewhere.

What is this about Steve Largent now? He was on the field with Drew Pearson last month.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
What is this about Steve Largent now? He was on the field with Drew Pearson last month.

Lol, hmmm why oh why would he be at his friend's stuff?

When recently asked about TU stuff including the AD job, Largent just laughed and then basically said no comment. On the follow up about Tulsa commitment he basically said what you see is what you get.

I haven't asked since before covid but my understanding is he still does not donate or actively support the school. It requires personal relationships and arm twisting to get him to acknowledge us in any positive way. Apparently the last time we had this sort of incompetence at leadership they repeatedly pissed him off. The final cherry being they used a donation from him specifically for one thing (football) for something completely different.

Despite repeated attempts to mend this, my understanding is he still holds it against the school. I do know overall he has a very suspicious nature when it comes to the university and what it wants from him.

The older I get the more I see his viewpoint as absolutely valid and the attitude to take with TU. It is both a blessing and a curse to be a private with little oversight.

Lol, hmmm why oh why would he be at his friend's stuff?

When recently asked about TU stuff including the AD job, Largent just laughed and then basically said no comment. On the follow up about Tulsa commitment he basically said what you see is what you get.

I haven't asked since before covid but my understanding is he still does not donate or actively support the school. It requires personal relationships and arm twisting to get him to acknowledge us in any positive way. Apparently the last time we had this sort of incompetence at leadership they repeatedly pissed him off. The final cherry being they used a donation from him specifically for one thing (football) for something completely different.

Despite repeated attempts to mend this, my understanding is he still holds it against the school. I do know overall he has a very suspicious nature when it comes to the university and what it wants from him.

The older I get the more I see his viewpoint as absolutely valid and the attitude to take with TU. It is both a blessing and a curse to be a private with little oversight.
Dickson is one of Largent's best friends, so maybe that will change.

Most dynamic Tulsa football coach : Henry Frnka
Most dynamic basketball coach : Nolan Richardson

Both left TU after four years

Football runnerups : Glenn Dobbs (a favorite son) , John Cooper & Todd Graham

Basketball runnerups : Ken Hayes, Tubby Smith & reluctantly Bill Self (could never stand his phoniness)
Might want to add Joe Swank to the list for basketball...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT