ADVERTISEMENT

FC Tulsa playing at TU tonight

drboobay

I.T.S. University President
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
Their best performance of the season IMO. Played a very direct counterattacking style. Defense was much better than any recent match and frustrated San Antonio.

Congrats to them on the win. And TUs field got a lot if praise from the former Creighton player doing the color commentary.

Trifecta of disappointment as TU football and soccer lose and FC Tulsa loses their shot to fight for a playoff spot.

All in all, their in season moves, with the possible exception of Goodrum, fell flat. They went from a decent team getting draws because they couldn't score goals to a plainly bad team.

Nate Worth looks promising in the midfield but otherwise the midfield and back line were problematic.

Trifecta of disappointment as TU football and soccer lose and FC Tulsa loses their shot to fight for a playoff spot.

All in all, their in season moves, with the possible exception of Goodrum, fell flat. They went from a decent team getting draws because they couldn't score goals to a plainly bad team.

Nate Worth looks promising in the midfield but otherwise the midfield and back line were problematic.
I think they're in a better place moving forward. The problem with FC Tulsa is they can't press anyone because if the other team breaks through the backline is so atrociously bad it's almost a guaranteed chance against. FC Tulsa keeps forcing things trying to play out of the back but they lack the attention to detail to be able to do so. Worth is a fantastic little player. He needs to mature physically. Goodrum is a really good striker and I like him and Epps up top. They present a lot of problems for teams. You can tell when Eric Bird is out for this team because he's the only one who can seemingly see the field and deliver it to where it needs to be.

But make no mistake that this team's biggest problems that need to be addressed immediately begin and end with the backline and GK. Indy's 2nd goal was a comedy of errors by FC Tulsa's backline. The guy was so wide open, he had time to take an absolutely awful 1st touch, recover the ball, and then still get off a shot with his left foot. And Nelson, IMO, just doesn't read plays well enough to be a top GK in any league. And his technical skill with the ball at his feet is just not good at all.

Other than Goodrum who did they pick up during the season that genuinely improved the team? Epps, Dyer, Worth, Byrd were on the roster going into the season.

Other than Goodrum who did they pick up during the season that genuinely improved the team? Epps, Dyer, Worth, Byrd were on the roster going into the season.
I thought the Seagrist pick up was a good one. Why he didn't start more confused me as I generally thought he was a better 1 v 1 defender than most of the guys in the back. I understand they view him more as an attacking outside back option but he was a capable defender. And FC Tulsa is actually one of the worst teams I've ever seen when it comes to defending set pieces. I'm 100% certain they employ a zone marking strategy on set pieces and that usually ends up with about 4-5 guys staring wondering why the guy next to them didn't mark the open guy who scored. BRUTAL.

Donovan has to be getting frustrated by this stuff.

I thought the Seagrist pick up was a good one. Why he didn't start more confused me as I generally thought he was a better 1 v 1 defender than most of the guys in the back. I understand they view him more as an attacking outside back option but he was a capable defender. And FC Tulsa is actually one of the worst teams I've ever seen when it comes to defending set pieces. I'm 100% certain they employ a zone marking strategy on set pieces and that usually ends up with about 4-5 guys staring wondering why the guy next to them didn't mark the open guy who scored. BRUTAL.

Donovan has to be getting frustrated by this stuff.
Yes he seems ok. I suspect he was suspended for yellows Saturday.

But they kept losing with him too. The middle three in the back were generally problematic no matter who they tried there. And trying a back 4 was even worse.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Yes he seems ok. I suspect he was suspended for yellows Saturday.

But they kept losing with him too. The middle three in the back were generally problematic no matter who they tried there. And trying a back 4 was even worse.
Agreed

I’m not sure why people still watch FC Tulsa when there’s a better team in town that beat them this year and that same team won their league title.

• Haha
I’m not sure why people still watch FC Tulsa when there’s a better team in town that beat them this year and that same team won their league title.
Uh, FC Tulsa played a majority of their reserves in that game and clearly wasn't interested in playing on the cow pasture at Hicks Park.

Uh, FC Tulsa played a majority of their reserves in that game and clearly wasn't interested in playing on the cow pasture at Hicks Park.
This ^^. Not to take anything away from Tulsa Athletic but FC Tulsa plays at a different level. As they should given the resources available and league FC Tulsa competes.

FC Tulsa plays on a baseball field that is smaller than a high school field.
FC Tulsa owns a multi million dollar training facility with two indoor fields, weight facilities, state of the art speed and agility equipment, outdoor turf field and multiple grass fields.

FC Tulsa owns a multi million dollar training facility with two indoor fields, weight facilities, state of the art speed and agility equipment, outdoor turf field and multiple grass fields.
1st step. I know they've been evaluating sites for a stand alone soccer stadium/complex. It wouldn't surprise me if they found something along the river in Jenks near the Riverwalk. The downtown Yuppies would be pissed but I think the Riverwalk and the restaurants along that corridor would lend themselves to fans (or even Main St and they can march from St. George's to the stadium.

I mean the Athletics were pissed when NPSL forced them to play at Rogers State this year because Hicks park didn't meet requirements for locker rooms, showers, etc. I am actually hoping that now Jason Rogers is Union's HC as well that if they continue in NPSL and still need an actual locker room with showers they'll play at Union. We could use the concessions revenue.

1st step. I know they've been evaluating sites for a stand alone soccer stadium/complex. It wouldn't surprise me if they found something along the river in Jenks near the Riverwalk. The downtown Yuppies would be pissed but I think the Riverwalk and the restaurants along that corridor would lend themselves to fans (or even Main St and they can march from St. George's to the stadium.

I mean the Athletics were pissed when NPSL forced them to play at Rogers State this year because Hicks park didn't meet requirements for locker rooms, showers, etc. I am actually hoping that now Jason Rogers is Union's HC as well that if they continue in NPSL and still need an actual locker room with showers they'll play at Union. We could use the concessions revenue.
Hicks Park meets all the requirements for NPSL. They have locker rooms and showers on site.

I mean that isn’t accurate at all. FC Tulsa was all about having the game at Hicks. And they played a lot of regulars. But hey just because they spend money I guess people think they are better. Maybe next year they’ll finally make the playoffs again…I mean pretty much the whole USL makes it.

Hey there! I guess I would be a 58 year old downtown yuppie. Is that still a word?

Anyway downtown and urban stadiums and venues are the best IMO. You get a real sense of place.

They have practiced and trained at the same facility for years and it hasn't helped them. What I said is still true. They play on a small u13 field. The owners love flaunting daddy's $$$

Reactions: 918Golden
They have practiced and trained at the same facility for years and it hasn't helped them. What I said is still true. They play on a small u13 field. The owners love flaunting daddy's $$$
Curious….why the negative vibe regarding FC Tulsa and the current ownership group?

The owners act like FC Tulsa is a MLS team. They have treated Nsien and others former staff/players poorly.
I’m friends with both Michael and Megan. You aren’t wrong there. Some of those fences have been mended. Still have a ways to go on others.

An MLS franchise in Tulsa is a pipe dream imo. Would love to see it but far too many obstacles to overcome.

Curious….why the negative vibe regarding FC Tulsa and the current ownership group?
I like the new ownership group, but they still don’t win. The rebrand was supposed to be some new start and it’s the same it has always been.

Reactions: drboobay
I like the new ownership group, but they still don’t win. The rebrand was supposed to be some new start and it’s the same it has always been.
They're trying but they have the same problems they've always had, a lack of quality center backs. The guys they get aren't fast enough or savvy enough to see plays developing and cover space to minimize the ability of passes to get through. They're constantly chasing the ball and leaving acres of space behind them. There was a back post run a couple weeks ago vs Indy (I think) where the CB abandoned his cover zone and the Indy player on the back post run was able to take a poor cross, 2 touches, and still have a wide open unmolested shot from about 6 yards out. If it happens a couple times in a season, that's one thing, those are things that can be addressed and adjusted and fixed. The fact that this seemed to happen to FC Tulsa almost every game is an indication that the CBs aren't getting it done. Some of that may be due to Bourgeois being out most of the season. He seems to make up for a lot of mistakes, sort of in a pseudo sweeper role. And they really lack when Eric Bird is missing from the lineup as the other MFs they play lack the focus and attention to detail in their passing and it really slows down the attack or flat out causes them to lose possession. The forwards are actually really good. Goodrum is almost always double teamed if the ball comes close to him and Epps is one of those big, fast physical forwards that is really difficult for a 2 or 5 to defend. He also shows an elevated technical skill level for a guy his size.

If FC Tulsa can keep Nate Worth around for a couple more seasons you might see him in MLS. Kid (he's just 16) is really good on the ball, nice technical skill and really sees the field extremely well. Right now his size might hold him back because his body just isn't physically matured yet. They need to address the backline and goalkeeper in the offseason.

They're trying but they have the same problems they've always had, a lack of quality center backs. The guys they get aren't fast enough or savvy enough to see plays developing and cover space to minimize the ability of passes to get through. They're constantly chasing the ball and leaving acres of space behind them. There was a back post run a couple weeks ago vs Indy (I think) where the CB abandoned his cover zone and the Indy player on the back post run was able to take a poor cross, 2 touches, and still have a wide open unmolested shot from about 6 yards out. If it happens a couple times in a season, that's one thing, those are things that can be addressed and adjusted and fixed. The fact that this seemed to happen to FC Tulsa almost every game is an indication that the CBs aren't getting it done. Some of that may be due to Bourgeois being out most of the season. He seems to make up for a lot of mistakes, sort of in a pseudo sweeper role. And they really lack when Eric Bird is missing from the lineup as the other MFs they play lack the focus and attention to detail in their passing and it really slows down the attack or flat out causes them to lose possession. The forwards are actually really good. Goodrum is almost always double teamed if the ball comes close to him and Epps is one of those big, fast physical forwards that is really difficult for a 2 or 5 to defend. He also shows an elevated technical skill level for a guy his size.

If FC Tulsa can keep Nate Worth around for a couple more seasons you might see him in MLS. Kid (he's just 16) is really good on the ball, nice technical skill and really sees the field extremely well. Right now his size might hold him back because his body just isn't physically matured yet. They need to address the backline and goalkeeper in the offseason.
I like Moses Dyer too. He is fast and good on the ball.

Interesting to reflect on the full season. Early on they had a lot of draws and trouble scoring goals. Defensively they seemed OK.

Later they acquired Goodrum and made a few more changes that led to better offense. Movement through the midfield improved. But the defense was a big fail. Roughly this corresponded with Bourgeois injury and dealing away some defenders.

Nate Worth will be playing in Europe soon. He’s not going MLS.

Eric Bird is mid. Agree the defense is poor. Goodrum is outstanding. But there’s still a lot of quality lacking throughout the side. The president made a ton of changes and they’re still not great. Sure there’s been injuries, but the trades and signing have been pretty meh.

Reactions: drboobay
I just wanted to say the FC Tulsa has been playing at TU for many many many nights in a row now!!!

I just wanted to say the FC Tulsa has been playing at TU for many many many nights in a row now!!!
The TU men trained at Titan several times this summer. Not sure what type of arraignment TU has with FC Tulsa.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT