ADVERTISEMENT

FC Tulsa 2023

Double header???
So typically what the 3 sides will do is they will split the squad into 2. I know FC Tulsa has been playing their scrimmages with 2 sides of about 15 including several "Trialists". Last weekend they played San Antonio FC and essentially had 2 scrimmages with 2 squads. I suspect TU will have 2 separate squads with one playing Union Omaha and the other playing FC Tulsa. What is interesting is I've been seeing pictures of training from TU and Henry Sach is in a few of them. Not sure if he's doing it to just stay in soccer shape or if he intends on being a super senior next year...if it's the latter TU is in business again next season.

So typically what the 3 sides will do is they will split the squad into 2. I know FC Tulsa has been playing their scrimmages with 2 sides of about 15 including several "Trialists". Last weekend they played San Antonio FC and essentially had 2 scrimmages with 2 squads. I suspect TU will have 2 separate squads with one playing Union Omaha and the other playing FC Tulsa. What is interesting is I've been seeing pictures of training from TU and Henry Sach is in a few of them. Not sure if he's doing it to just stay in soccer shape or if he intends on being a super senior next year...if it's the latter TU is in business again next season.
I believe he's already put in his five years. Played at Richland 2 years, and here 3 years. There isn't a super senior year available to him any longer.(already played it last year)

TU lost 4-0. They win the first game of the day vs Union Omaha 1-0 I believe.

It looked like FC Tulsa started a good portion of what looks to be their regular starting lineup vs TU. There is a huge difference between a pro team and a college team, and a college team trying to see what pieces fit together in a retooling year.

So FC Tulsa just signed Chase Bromstedt to a contract. Hope he gets to play and isn't just a squad filler. Feel like he's pretty dynamic in the attack. But FC Tulsa also needs to shore up their back line play. Scoring wasn't really an issue last year and I feel they've brought in better players to go with the good players they had. GK is going to be a big problem for FC Tulsa. I don't know much about Odle but Austin Wormell is not the answer.

Pretty cool story related to FC Tulsa. The club just signed a local 14 year old (Renan Mendoza) to a professional club contract. Renan had been training with the club for the past 6 months. Great kid and family….and he’s a phenom.

Pretty cool story related to FC Tulsa. The club just signed a local 14 year old (Renan Mendoza) to a professional club contract. Renan had been training with the club for the past 6 months. Great kid and family….and he’s a phenom.
Who goes to Union HS and yet doesn't play on their team. I need to ask one of the coaches if he came out for the team or just decided to focus on the FC Tulsa route....as the TSC boys coaches do a pretty good job of trashing HS soccer.

Who goes to Union HS and yet doesn't play on their team. I need to ask one of the coaches if he came out for the team or just decided to focus on the FC Tulsa route....as the TSC boys coaches do a pretty good job of trashing HS soccer.
I can ask him. Renan and my daughter are fairly close and have trained together for several years. My guess is he is focusing on FC Dallas. Training TSC and FC Dallas is a lot on a kid’s body. Playing professionally has been his dream for as long as I’ve known him.

I can ask him. Renan and my daughter are fairly close and have trained together for several years. My guess is he is focusing on FC Dallas. Training TSC and FC Dallas is a lot on a kid’s body. Playing professionally has been his dream for as long as I’ve known him.
That would be 2 players in 2 years that Union has lost to path to pro type players who have signed academy contracts. I can only imagine that with the 2 of them Union would be damn near untouchable this year seeing the quality they're running out there already.

Because for development high school is not great, so many teams trot out trash and the coaches are not providing quality, even at the bigger 6A high schools. It is a lot of fun but if you are looking to get to the next level, that isn't the place.

If you play MLS next, you don't play high school. It is hard for a Oklahoman to understand because high school is everything. Here even our newspapers seem to be geared towards it. On any given day, you might go to Tulsaworld.com and there are five front page stories about high school athletics and one about other things going on in our state. It is pretty sad.

Because for development high school is not great, so many teams trot out trash and the coaches are not providing quality, even at the bigger 6A high schools. It is a lot of fun but if you are looking to get to the next level, that isn't the place.

If you play MLS next, you don't play high school. It is hard for a Oklahoman to understand because high school is everything. Here even our newspapers seem to be geared towards it. On any given day, you might go to Tulsaworld.com and there are five front page stories about high school athletics and one about other things going on in our state. It is pretty sad.
I'd say Union and Jenks are definitely doing it the right way and the kid could have developed his game some more there, even more than what he's doing at his ECNL side because he'd be playing against older, bigger, more physical players than at that single age group level. Now he will get better coaching against way higher competition training with FC Tulsa, I'm not disputing that.

Okay so now you got 2 high schools out of 100s that have the ability to develop kids. So they can train together, then they get to go play Enid, Choctaw, Sand Springs and Southmoore. If you believe Jenks or Union have quality at every starters you are lying to yourself. Some are 3rd division technical quality, who just tackle hard. Then you go to the subs. Ever real player who plays on those teams know this and they know their coaches are meh. You can watch them train and warm up. It is pretty apparent. If it isn't to you, you have never played at that level or understand what it truly it is like.

Okay so now you got 2 high schools out of 100s that have the ability to develop kids. So they can train together, then they get to go play Enid, Choctaw, Sand Springs and Southmoore. If you believe Jenks or Union have quality at every starters you are lying to yourself. Some are 3rd division technical quality, who just tackle hard. Then you go to the subs. Ever real player who plays on those teams know this and they know their coaches are meh. You can watch them train and warm up. It is pretty apparent. If it isn't to you, you have never played at that level or understand what it truly it is like.
Who are you to walk in here and just start speaking the truth?

I'm saying those 2 schools are playing styles that are comparable to high level teams. No, the execution is not near that level although there are players who are able to play it at an above average level. Most HS just find their Daryl Dike and try to hammer the ball over the top to that player and let him destroy the CBs. Touches and real game situations are important for kids and honestly the way the ECNL schedule and OK HS schedules work they make that continuity possible.

And I did find out the kid was on the team at Union through December when he transferred to TSC's Tulsa Soccer Academy which is essentially a little to no schoolwork homeschool program run by TSC so the kids can train a majority of the day. Nsien's wife ran it (may still be running it). It's essentially IMG Academy for soccer but it hasn't really taken off like IMG. I know parents who had sons there who transferred them back to public school so they could be part of the school teams. I believe the kids at TSA can participate with NOAH. I also learned the kids 2013 brother is going to be better than him and the little sister might be the best player in the family.

I'm saying those 2 schools are playing styles that are comparable to high level teams. No, the execution is not near that level although there are players who are able to play it at an above average level. Most HS just find their Daryl Dike and try to hammer the ball over the top to that player and let him destroy the CBs. Touches and real game situations are important for kids and honestly the way the ECNL schedule and OK HS schedules work they make that continuity possible.

And I did find out the kid was on the team at Union through December when he transferred to TSC's Tulsa Soccer Academy which is essentially a little to no schoolwork homeschool program run by TSC so the kids can train a majority of the day. Nsien's wife ran it (may still be running it). It's essentially IMG Academy for soccer but it hasn't really taken off like IMG. I know parents who had sons there who transferred them back to public school so they could be part of the school teams. I believe the kids at TSA can participate with NOAH. I also learned the kids 2013 brother is going to be better than him and the little sister might be the best player in the family.
Renan transferred to TSA so he could train with FC Tulsa.. he really didn’t have any other options if he wanted to pursue that path. I know his siblings well. Simply too early to tell how good they’re going to be. His sister is a 2011.

The kids at TSA train once in the am and once in the afternoon. They usually have a physical conditioning class mixed in as well. The kids are enrolled in either their school’s virtual option or some online provider like Epic. It s my understand that a kid is eligible to play for their school if they’re enrolled virtually. That said, most kids leave TSA by the time they’re freshman.

TSA is neither owned or run by TSC although TSA does hire TSC personnel.

Renan was playing on the 3rd team at Blitz four years ago. A certain coach saw him and took him under his wing. Really an amazing story of a kid playing on the lowest team in the club who through hard work and physical development is now the youngest player ever to sign an FC Tulsa contract.

Last edited:
Renan transferred to TSA so he could train with FC Tulsa.. he really didn’t have any other options if he wanted to pursue that path. I know his siblings well. Simply too early to tell how good they’re going to be. His sister is a 2011.

The kids at TSA train once in the am and once in the afternoon. They usually have a physical conditioning class mixed in as well. The kids are enrolled in either their school’s virtual option or some online provider like Epic. It s my understand that a kid is eligible to play for their school if they’re enrolled virtually. That said, most kids leave TSA by the time they’re freshman.

TSA is neither owned or run by TSC although TSA does hire TSC personnel.

Renan was playing on the 3rd team at Blitz four years ago. A certain coach saw him and took him under his wing. Really an amazing story of a kid playing on the lowest team in the club who through hard work and physical development is now the youngest player ever to sign an FC Tulsa contract.
Yeah that's what my contact said about him leaving Union. I believe he coaches or has coached Renan's little brother. Renan is a John Michael protege correct? So that would be at least the 3rd of his 2008s he's worked with directly that have signed academy deals. There are at least 2 of his still with Sporting KC and their academy right now.

As for TSA, you have it on paper that's what it is. I have it from parents whose kids went there...probably not as academic as what the brochure leads you to believe. As for the TSA not being part of TSC...again, that's a paper and incorporation distinction. It's 100% backed by TSC. They're the only club who advertises it and consistently promotes it. Several of their social media posts also refer to it as "Our Tulsa Soccer Academy..."

Yes. Renan is a JM kid. Came over to TSC with him from Blitz

TSC and TSA have a mutually beneficial relationship. TSA predominantly trains TSC kids to the benefit of TSC. TSA also employs TSC coaches which allows TSC to keep certain coaches they would either lose to better playing clubs or be forced to pay more. TSC in turn promotes and feeds kids into TSA.

We can talk further about the subject next time we chat :).

TU played two matches yesterday. First against Conley CC and TU win. I believe Cowleys Coach is one of the coaches that comes to TU and helps with the ID camps over the summer, along with Richland CC's coach who works with GKs.

2nd game TU played was vs FC Tulsa. TU won this one 2-1. I think this match was 8 FC Tulsa reserves and 3 trialists. FC Tulsa just signed a new GK who I think is going to push Austin Wormell down the depth chart. This was the last preseason match for FC Tulsa. Believe the season starts in 2 weeks

Edited the title of the thread to reflect future discussion of FC Tulsa during the 2023 season.

Reactions: TU_BLA
So this is truly some worthy news. FC Tulsa announced today the signing of 16 year old and USYNT midfielder Nate Worth. He had been with NY Red Bull and had played some on their Red Bull 2 side. He's pretty accomplished already.

Reactions: HuffyCane
The path to pro soccer has changed so much in the last few years. USL Championship teams keep signing younger and younger guys.

The path to pro soccer has changed so much in the last few years. USL Championship teams keep signing younger and younger guys.
I can only imagine what FC Tulsa paid for this kid and he's good enough to be in the starting XI right away. Interestingly enough, last Fall he played (and captained) the U-16 USYNT in a couple of tournaments and played for Michael Nsien.

I can only imagine what FC Tulsa paid for this kid and he's good enough to be in the starting XI right away. Interestingly enough, last Fall he played (and captained) the U-16 USYNT in a couple of tournaments and played for Michael Nsien.
I don’t know if he’ll slot into the starting XI but he’ll be in the 18 I’d assume. But maybe he starts. FC Tulsa’s roster is mid level for the USL Championship so he could get some run.

One sale on of a youth player to Europe could be worth the total value of the whole club in some cases. It’s market speculation.

Reactions: 918Golden
One sale on of a youth player to Europe could be worth the total value of the whole club in some cases. It’s market speculation.
Ahhh, the Dortmund approach to building soccer teams. I don't know why more clubs don't look at Dortmund and how they develop young talent and try to model it. They do a masterful job of taking kids with talent and turning them into really good pro soccer players. If FC Tulsa could figure that out at USL then I am all in.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Ahhh, the Dortmund approach to building soccer teams. I don't know why more clubs don't look at Dortmund and how they develop young talent and try to model it. They do a masterful job of taking kids with talent and turning them into really good pro soccer players. If FC Tulsa could figure that out at USL then I am all in.
They are copying the elite teams in Holland who created that model in the 60’s up until today.

They are copying the elite teams in Holland who created that model in the 60’s up until today.
I can see that...my son would know way more about this than I do. Hell, he could be the GM of a team now and be selling off players for millions left and right and getting good players to replace them.

I can see that...my son would know way more about this than I do. Hell, he could be the GM of a team now and be selling off players for millions left and right and getting good players to replace them.
Worth your time …

Reactions: TU_BLA
Not FC Tulsa, but the winner of tomorrow’s Open Cup match in Tulsa with Tulsa Athletic vs. Brazos Valley plays FC Tulsa in the second round. Weather will be nice and it should be a pretty good game.

FC Tulsa vs the Athletics at Hicks Park for the US open. This is going to be fun.
I like the fact they give the lower division team a chance to host games like this, but said lower division team should be playing on an actual pitch. The field at Hicks is awful and no better than the drainage ditch fields along Hwy 169.

As for the game itself, it shouldn't be close. Yes, Athletics have some decent players but FC Tulsa has an actual payroll and some players making good money to play soccer.

I like the fact they give the lower division team a chance to host games like this, but said lower division team should be playing on an actual pitch. The field at Hicks is awful and no better than the drainage ditch fields along Hwy 169.

As for the game itself, it shouldn't be close. Yes, Athletics have some decent players but FC Tulsa has an actual payroll and some players making good money to play soccer.
The pitch seemed pretty good to me Wednesday besides the one big spot where it looks like they brought in some dirt and didn’t have enough time to get grass to grow on it.

I appreciate how Athletic is making something out of a facility that hasn’t been used for much of anything lately. It’s got some neat things going for it. It reminds me of what they did with old driller stadium but at a smaller amount.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT