ADVERTISEMENT

Fall practice

Unless the rules have changed, you get 29 days before the first game to conduct 25 practices with at least one rest day every 7 days. Two a days have been abolished and were frankly obsolete.

This year, the first day of practice is likely August 1, the 29th day prior to kickoff in East Lansing Aug 30. However, because of the leeway stated above, it could begin as late as August 3, if I’m not mistaken.

I hope that helps.

Reactions: bigstar18
Working back from the 1st day of class (August 26th) new students would move in around August 18th and do orientation that week. Football and men's and women's soccer usually arrive 2 weeks before that date, which would be August 4th. TU was always more hard line with not moving that date for housing because they would have to start paying student staff and feeding them. My guess is FR football players would move to Fall housing assignments on August 1st with upperclassmen not already on campus moving in on Saturday, August 3rd with the 4th being the 1st meetings and the 5th the start of practice. (I'm going off of memory of the calendar and how it used to work...things may have changed some but I know the housing folks try to hold the line because of the expense and the logistical nightmare of sparsely populated buildings).

Working back from the 1st day of class (August 26th) new students would move in around August 18th and do orientation that week. Football and men's and women's soccer usually arrive 2 weeks before that date, which would be August 4th. TU was always more hard line with not moving that date for housing because they would have to start paying student staff and feeding them. My guess is FR football players would move to Fall housing assignments on August 1st with upperclassmen not already on campus moving in on Saturday, August 3rd with the 4th being the 1st meetings and the 5th the start of practice. (I'm going off of memory of the calendar and how it used to work...things may have changed some but I know the housing folks try to hold the line because of the expense and the logistical nightmare of sparsely populated buildings).
We are playing the first game two days earlier than usual. I don’t see them giving up practices, which is what you suggest, so subtract a day or two and you likely have the right time line, depending on whether they practice the morning before the game and fly up that afternoon with no walk through.

We are playing the first game two days earlier than usual. I don’t see them giving up practices, which is what you suggest, so subtract a day or two and you likely have the right time line, depending on whether they practice the morning before the game and fly up that afternoon with no walk through.
That's never a good timeline. We walloped Iowa when Hayden Fry thought they would fly in on Saturday morning for a Saturday night game.

Reactions: HuffyCane
That's never a good timeline. We walloped Iowa when Hayden Fry thought they would fly in on Saturday morning for a Saturday night game.
Kragthorpe thrived doing that though. It’s all in planning.

Maybe. I never realized K designed travel for so close to the game time. I had just heard about how many times plans like that backfired.
One his big selling points to kids was he knew how the pros practiced and played and could get them ready for the pros. Same day travel wasn’t a regular thing but they did the walk through at Skelly then flew out and played the game that night more than a few times. Iirc it was common for Friday night games because of the short week. Freed up travel money to spend on recruiting too.

Reactions: TU_BLA
B
My guess is FR football players would move to Fall housing assignments on August 1st with upperclassmen not already on campus moving in on Saturday, August 3rd with the 4th being the 1st meetings and the 5th the start of practice. (I'm going off of memory of the calendar and how it used to work...things may have changed some but I know the housing folks try to hold the line because of the expense and the logistical nightmare of sparsely populated buildings).

Here’s a question - back when I was a student at TU, the athletic dorm was I believe Lafortune Hall. Do the athletes now live in regular student housing and if so, what happened to Lafortune?

B

Here’s a question - back when I was a student at TU, the athletic dorm was I believe Lafortune Hall. Do the athletes now live in regular student housing and if so, what happened to Lafortune?
Athletic dorms fell out of favor in the 90s for a variety of reasons. Lafortune has been completely remodeled and it’s used by athletes and non-athletes. A lot of freshman frat boys this last year actually. The athletes have lots of options. Off campus, on campus apartments, etc. as well as the dorms.

Athletic dorms fell out of favor in the 90s for a variety of reasons. Lafortune has been completely remodeled and it’s used by athletes and non-athletes. A lot of freshman frat boys this last year actually. The athletes have lots of options. Off campus, on campus apartments, etc. as well as the dorms.
How does an athlete have an off campus living space? Unless you are talking about them living with their parents locally?

How does an athlete have an off campus living space? Unless you are talking about them living with their parents locally?
They get a housing allowance and pool their money, just like the other students. Obvi, the coaches try to keep the younger players closer to campus to monitor academic progress, etc.

About 10 guys used to live in that huge house right behind Arby’s. Now it’s an air b&b.

They get a housing allowance and pool their money, just like the other students. Obvi, the coaches try to keep the younger players closer to campus to monitor academic progress, etc.
So freshmen and sophomores MUST live on campus. That usually means residence halls unless they get a good lottery number to select an apartment or get in good with an upperclassmen and move into an apartment (on campus) with them. The off-campus guys are rarer and rarer (and all but disappeared for a few years) because that's real money the university has to spend. Living on campus allows the university to stretch the budget more as it is frequently just moved on an accounting spreadsheet between athletics to housing revenue. Most recently the only ones approved to live off and get that allowance were athletes who were married.

Athletic residence halls are no longer allowed by the NCAA per their rule on student athletes not getting anything a normal student wouldn't get. The technical rule only allows a max makeup of athletes of 49% in any location meaning the 51% has to be non-student athletes. I can tell you from my experience every school interprets "location" differently. ORU and TU interpret location to be a wing or floor. This is to spread athletes out more and hopefully minimize the Alpha Beta "Revenge of the Nerds" mentality. Some schools interpret it by building and will allow entirely athletic floors while maintaining the ratios above based on total bldg population. The funny thing is I'm pretty sure that OU committed n NCAA violation when it opened its new super-max 'athletic dorm' (as penned by the media) as the building had a max occupancy of almost 600 students and it's 1st year it was only 30% occupied "by mostly freshmen athletes". OU had a hard time selling the space because of it's expense and most FR were opting to live in the older, more traditional halls because they were cheaper. And the location was so-so if you weren't an athlete as it was convenient to athletic facilities and athletic support services but not necessarily to classrooms (people in housing talk to one another about why their new facilities suck and then complain about not being included in all of the planning aspects of new HOUSING FACILITIES).

BTW, I asked one of the TU housing folks when football moved in and she thought it was right around July 30th.

Players reported 5/27 and started 6 AM workouts 5/28. Off on weekends, and 7/4 and 7/5. All scholarship players are expected to take at least one summer class. Will be off 7/26-7/31. A couple new guys just arrived because of various reasons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT