ADVERTISEMENT

Dr. Clancy and TU's financial picture

Thanks for sharing the article Leslie. Very interesting and provided so much info I wasn't aware of.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
It's nice to have a president that actually does events now.

If micromanaging athletics got us Montgomery and Haith and into the AAC, I'm ok with it.

I never had a problem with Stead per se. I just think the board of directors could have been steering the University in a better direction while Stead was getting things done. During my years there it kind of felt like TU was abandoning local HS graduates for the sake of international students. It made the student population feel disjointed at times. I think they need to market closer to home for the time being, and upgrade their presence in fields like the biosciences where the University doesn't really compete with larger state schools, maybe even increase the partnership with OU and the Schusterman center to provide better undergrad avenues to degrees like pharmacology, dentistry, etc...

Then he's also responsible for Ross Parmley and the elimination of men's golf.

At a school like TU, an overbearing president necessitates a weak AD.

And the AAC would have never happened without Bob and Judy and C-USA.

Frankly we might be irrelevant right now without that leadership foundation in a lot of ways.

I never had a problem with Stead per se. I just think the board of directors could have been steering the University in a better direction while Stead was getting things done. During my years there it kind of felt like TU was abandoning local HS graduates for the sake of international students. It made the student population feel disjointed at times. I think they need to market closer to home for the time being, and upgrade their presence in fields like the biosciences where the University doesn't really compete with larger state schools, maybe even increase the partnership with OU and the Schusterman center to provide better undergrad avenues to degrees like pharmacology, dentistry, etc...
Actually, it wasn't just more international students they were after, it was non-local students in general. Since Dr. Lawless got there in 1995, TU has been on the quest to not be considered a regional university trying to increase its profile to be more in line with SMU, Rice, and TCU. Also, with regards to international students, they are 100% cash paying customers which was always very important to TU.

I am not going to rake Stead Up over the coals. Salary too high-probably. He was charged with growing TU which he did. Probably too fast but the new engineering buildings, performing arts center, revamped Skelly, southside apartments, etc. have all occurred on his watch. I think they were expecting some donations to accrue more interest than they have and the endowment took a slight hit meaning interest on that was down (and while they try not to touch actual endowment $s for the yearly budget, the interest is factored). So combine not quite full funding for various projects and endowment interest lower than calculated and you have a budget shortfall.

As for Ross...don't blame Stead or anyone else for what happened there. Ross was being groomed by Bubba to take over. I know Ross, I worked with him a good amount at TU when he was director of football ops, and you could tell the second they named him assoc. AD that he was in line for a promotion should Bubba leave or another university came calling for an AD. What Ross was hiding in the closet were things that no one knew about except for the bookie and Ross (and maybe Ross' wife).Stead Up took swift and immediate action there.

I like what I've seen from Dr. Clancy so far. He seems to be more in touch with the general TU community (students, faculty, and staff) than Dr. Upham was. I also think he brings a renewed and clean vision to TU and it's role in Tulsa and higher education. I think the budget recovery will be swift.

Then he's also responsible for Ross Parmley and the elimination of men's golf.

At a school like TU, an overbearing president necessitates a weak AD.
Bubba worked with him and did a pretty bang up job. I was really sad to see Cunningham go.

Actually, it wasn't just more international students they were after, it was non-local students in general. Since Dr. Lawless got there in 1995, TU has been on the quest to not be considered a regional university trying to increase its profile to be more in line with SMU, Rice, and TCU. Also, with regards to international students, they are 100% cash paying customers which was always very important to TU.

I am not going to rake Stead Up over the coals. Salary too high-probably. He was charged with growing TU which he did. Probably too fast but the new engineering buildings, performing arts center, revamped Skelly, southside apartments, etc. have all occurred on his watch. I think they were expecting some donations to accrue more interest than they have and the endowment took a slight hit meaning interest on that was down (and while they try not to touch actual endowment $s for the yearly budget, the interest is factored). So combine not quite full funding for various projects and endowment interest lower than calculated and you have a budget shortfall.

As for Ross...don't blame Stead or anyone else for what happened there. Ross was being groomed by Bubba to take over. I know Ross, I worked with him a good amount at TU when he was director of football ops, and you could tell the second they named him assoc. AD that he was in line for a promotion should Bubba leave or another university came calling for an AD. What Ross was hiding in the closet were things that no one knew about except for the bookie and Ross (and maybe Ross' wife).Stead Up took swift and immediate action there.

I like what I've seen from Dr. Clancy so far. He seems to be more in touch with the general TU community (students, faculty, and staff) than Dr. Upham was. I also think he brings a renewed and clean vision to TU and it's role in Tulsa and higher education. I think the budget recovery will be swift.

Oh, I'm well aware. Just a couple years ago, it seemed the continental students were mainly from 1 of 4 or 5 metropolatin areas: SLU, DFW, Houston, KC, Denver. The rest were mostly from Tulsa or International; however, since oil took a dive TU just hasn't been getting the same numbers of International students. I'm just saying that it would probably be good to focus on developing a better base for Tulsa + Continental students for the time being, and then any International students that can be lured in the future will be gravy.

I knew several students that transferred to other schools because the biological sciences were mediocre at best. That's why I suggested investing in them. If we could draw from that field, the university would be close to complete as far as quality educational offerings go, (Minus some of the liberal arts fields, but it's hard to get a large number of kids to justify TU's pricetag for a degree in philosophy lol)

Here's a breakdown of the 2015 class participation rates in various disciplines:

Business, Management, Marketing, and Related Support Services,23%
Engineering,23%
Health Professions and Related Programs,7%
Biological and Biomedical Sciences,6%
Social Sciences,6%

Biological and Biomedical seems like the most obvious place that Tulsa could pick up a large amount of new students if they just made an investment in the program.

Last edited:
Where are those stats from?

And where's the other 35%? Art/music, education and other natural sciences?

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
I'm shocked business isn't higher. And 35% seems like an awful lot to spread into the remaining categories if they all have 6% or less.

/tangent

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I'm not sure if the numbers are correct or not. But they seem plausible to me, based on my experience at TU. I just think the Biomed related programs seem to be the field with the most upside and would seem to fit the profile of a "high academics" private university. It's something you could use to attract talented students from places like St. Louis or Dallas given some investment. I know the PAC really helped the music programs grab quality talent as did the new engineering buildings.

It's kind of the same argument that we've had with building an indoor practice facility. If we invest, we will see dividends for years to come.

If it wasn't for the MFA in punk rock that TU offered, I would've had to go out of state. But the Good Lord blessed me indeed.

Reactions: HuffyCane
How sad would it be if rivalcane was actually Earnest Norman and he's been trolling us this whole time. Nah, he too ate up with the dumbass.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
And the AAC would have never happened without Bob and Judy and C-USA.

Frankly we might be irrelevant right now without that leadership foundation in a lot of ways.

The same Judy that gave us Keith burns, bungled the Dave rader firing, hired buzz Peterson, and thought John Phillips was the savior.....

She could barely make change when she handed me my free student tickets...

Expectations of perfection come easier for a sideline QB. I'm the best backstreet driver I know. Aphorisms 101.

The one responsible for Bill Self, an on-campus arena and the entire west side athletic complex, Steve Kragthorpe and ditching the WAC?

Your obsession is creepy, dude.

Bill Self was across town.. even I knew that was a good hire

K was a friend of Dre's.. otherwise she wouldn't have had him on the radar..

Arena was Rick Dixon...

Ditching WAC for regional rivals... wow.. genius.

I'll give you the west side.. like Judy.. it generates no revenue.

The same Judy that gave us Keith burns, bungled the Dave rader firing, hired buzz Peterson, and thought John Phillips was the savior.....

She could barely make change when she handed me my free student tickets...

How do you "bungle the dave rader firing" ? It had to be done. It should have been done years before. Bill self and the reynolds center were well...yuuge.

Undiscussed is the drop in Chinese students and the increased focus on English proficiency before being admitted. Blaming it all on oil isn't the full picture. Frankly, it is a good thing iyam. There have been more women than men on college campuses for two decades now. TU is a 60/40 split roughly towards men. If you eliminate the foreign students, that number drops significantly. If you skew a student population for profit, it changes the educational experience.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT