ADVERTISEMENT

Did Harbaugh just advocate CFP profit sharing for the players?

As soon as NIL arrived it really was, it always was when coaches were clearing 5-10M. Strength and conditioning coaches are clearing 500k. It's insane, and the government gives it crazy tax advantages.
The only fun is the "pageantry." The rest of it is just a BS minor leagues dressed up as fraudelent amateurism. The regional rivalries are completely being destroyed chasing TV money.

In the hell in LA is going to care about watching UCLA or USC play 3-6 Rutgers, Purdue, Indiana, Minnesota or Ilinois? No one. It's ridiculous. I hope USC, OU and Texas win a few big games every 10 years. It will be great to see them turn into middling programs like Nebraska did.

OU and OSU are saying they can't find one weekend in their schedules to play each other because they would rather play UALR. I actually listen to educated people sit here and justify that turd burger to me. It's unreal. The whole system sucks.

I do think the bigger playoff will help a whole lot. I hope they go even bigger to 16. The FCS does it. It can and should be done. It will be glorious. I hope it will lead to a gigantic breakup to the conferences.

The only fun is the "pageantry." The rest of it is just a BS minor leagues dressed up as fraudelent amateurism. The regional rivalries are completely being destroyed chasing TV money.

In the hell in LA is going to care about watching UCLA or USC play 3-6 Rutgers, Purdue, Indiana, Minnesota or Ilinois? No one. It's ridiculous. I hope USC, OU and Texas win a few big games every 10 years. It will be great to see them turn into middling programs like Nebraska did.

OU and OSU are saying they can't find one weekend in their schedules to play each other because they would rather play UALR. I actually listen to educated people sit here and justify that turd burger to me. It's unreal. The whole system sucks.

I do think the bigger playoff will help a whole lot. I hope they go even bigger to 16. The FCS does it. It can and should be done. It will be glorious. I hope it will lead to a gigantic breakup to the conferences.
Look at the SEC week by week schedule for next years. In weeks 10-13 of the regular season, EVERY SEC team has an FCS team on its schedule. EVERY DAMN ONE. And you want to claim you're the best conference in the country yet you have to play an elevated HS team? Ridiculous. CFP needs to make a rule that if you play an FCS team then you're not eligible for the CFP. It's essentially the equivalent of an NFL team deciding to take a week off and schedule a CFL team for one week.

FCS plays fewer regular season games and has 20 fewer schollies per roster.. good luck getting your average FBS team to give up 2 home games or 2 body bag games just to make a better playoff..

Reactions: TulsaAM
Look at the SEC week by week schedule for next years. In weeks 10-13 of the regular season, EVERY SEC team has an FCS team on its schedule. EVERY DAMN ONE. And you want to claim you're the best conference in the country yet you have to play an elevated HS team? Ridiculous. CFP needs to make a rule that if you play an FCS team then you're not eligible for the CFP. It's essentially the equivalent of an NFL team deciding to take a week off and schedule a CFL team for one week.
Nothing keeps the other conferences from doing it.. its actually pretty smart scheduling, gives the fans a fun sr day, allows beat up starters a chance to rest before rivalry weekend, gives scrubs a chance to play at home, gives FCS teams a chance to make $1.5 MM that they wouldnt otherwise make.. and technically the FCS is D1 NCAA

Reactions: TulsaAM
Nothing keeps the other conferences from doing it.. its actually pretty smart scheduling, gives the fans a fun sr day, allows beat up starters a chance to rest before rivalry weekend, gives scrubs a chance to play at home, gives FCS teams a chance to make $1.5 MM that they wouldnt otherwise make.. and technically the FCS is D1 NCAA
It's brutal and if you want to be considered among the best, play a full FBS schedule instead of a bye week with a glorified scrimmage.

Yeah, that's one step closer to being pro-football. I can't remember but the last NFL collective bargaining agreement and their $10B/yr TV revenue deal, something like 48% was going to the players as direct revenue sharing. Teams get about $372M annually from all NFL revenue sources not including local advertising and sponsorship deals, local TV rights for pre-season and coaches shows, etc. $372M covers the NFL salary cap (currently $224.8M/yr). Because of the way the NFL structured its deal, all teams have an equal chance to compete and get players to win a championship. I wish every sport did it this way. College football has a very unequal distribution of funds.

Is Harbaugh referring to only the 4 CFP schools' players getting some of the revenue? Or is he advocating that every FBS player get a cut of the revenue generated by college football each season and the CFP players get a bonus (structured the same way that MLB awards playoff shares based on how far in the playoffs your team goes?)

Yeah, that's one step closer to being pro-football. I can't remember but the last NFL collective bargaining agreement and their $10B/yr TV revenue deal, something like 48% was going to the players as direct revenue sharing. Teams get about $372M annually from all NFL revenue sources not including local advertising and sponsorship deals, local TV rights for pre-season and coaches shows, etc. $372M covers the NFL salary cap (currently $224.8M/yr). Because of the way the NFL structured its deal, all teams have an equal chance to compete and get players to win a championship. I wish every sport did it this way. College football has a very unequal distribution of funds.

Is Harbaugh referring to only the 4 CFP schools' players getting some of the revenue? Or is he advocating that every FBS player get a cut of the revenue generated by college football each season and the CFP players get a bonus (structured the same way that MLB awards playoff shares based on how far in the playoffs your team goes?)
He has taken this stand before, so, i think it overall revenue...

My prediction is that with all this greed driving every decision, college football will eventually eat itself, they will find a way to cut out even the bottom of the big boy group that will have been formed.

I disagree. Their fans hate it and think it is stupid. The students are gone after the 1st quarter. It is a disgrace. The coaches and university have zero respect for the fans and the amount of time and money they spend on their seats and traveling to the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT