ADVERTISEMENT

Dexter McCoil

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
Dex just signed with the San Diego/LA Chargers. CFL team had the forethought to move him to LB where he has enough speed to cover backs and/or blitz. His pass coverage skills from being a safety along with solid tackling skills make him a good addition.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
Never understood why he wasn't in league. He was one of best players in that era. I always assumed he would be a middle of draft prospect.

He helped my hometown Edmonton Eskimos win the Grey Cup this year. He had a pick in the game and played like a boss.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Never understood why he wasn't in league. He was one of best players in that era. I always assumed he would be a middle of draft prospect.
Because he was a safety and he was a step slow by NFL standards for that position. NFL scouts don't get paid to project a player's potential at a different position than what he has played his entire life. Kudos to Edmonton for seeing it and trying it out. Dex was the CFL Defensive Rookie of the Year last year before leading Edmonton to a Gray Cup win this season. He was obviously successful north of the border. Unfortunately, I see the Spanos' gutting the Chargers in an effort to eventually get to LA and haul in some $$$. I don't think the Chargers will be very good next year. They cut their best defensive player because he stayed on the field at halftime to watch his daughter perform...really San Diego? Weddle is one of those old school NFL players who seemingly gave everything he had until he couldn't move any more. Some NFL team is going to make a nice pick up. I wouldn't be surprised if the Rams moved him north to LA. He could be a solid veteran presence for a young DB corps combined with a DL and LB corps that is very good.

Hope Dex gets to play some and make a solid impression and stick a while. Good kid who represented TU well.

McCoil was one of the hardest hitting safeties I've ever seen. You could tell that receivers were scared to catch the ball when he was coming at them. I think by his senior year Mckinley Whitfield could be similar.

Anyways, congrats to McCoil in his (deserved) transition to the NFL. Hopefully he can stick around for a while.

I wish Dex would re-open his Mexican restaurant. His green chile verde and en fuego burrito were bad TU da bone.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT