ADVERTISEMENT

Corey Taylor?

Someone wrote that Monty said he was too banged up with injuries to play.

Someone wrote that Monty said he was too banged up with injuries to play.
Monty downplayed it in the press conference, but did say Taylor was banged up. Sounded like he could have played, but I got the feeling that, if Taylor wasn't 100 percent, he has 2 other backs and he might as well get Taylor healthy.

Monty downplayed it in the press conference, but did say Taylor was banged up. Sounded like he could have played, but I got the feeling that, if Taylor wasn't 100 percent, he has 2 other backs and he might as well get Taylor healthy.
We gonna need him the next two games.

We are certainly playing confident. Planning on playing three QBs at USF and planning on leaving a Captain off the field unless we need him.

It’s good management but demonstrates we are sizing ourselves up as being able to take some games more for granted than others.

They all matter now, except maybe Tulane, which screams to me as a trap game. We tend to play down to our competition and play best when the petulance factor is high for being “disrespected.”

Reactions: TU Pilot
He is obviously our 3rd best back right now. Not even close. We need him for a few carries but not as a major factor.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
With most of our WR's catching a case of the dropsies, I'm worried about Sam Crawford. Anyone know about his injury?

He is obviously our 3rd best back right now. Not even close. We need him for a few carries but not as a major factor.
There’s more to the craft that speed and strength. He’s our best pass protector and would appear to have the best hands of the three. He might not have the burst of Prince on the other side of the hole, but he definitely has the better vision and timing into the gap and knows when to explode.

You guys talk about recruiting local players but want to bench a local senior captain for a transfer still learning the offense and protections? I’m glad you’re not in charge.

I haven’t been able to a straight answer on this, so Huffy can you give this a shot? All seniors on scholarship that want to play next year, do they count against the total scholarships allowed?
In basketball, we will have 4 scholarships to give, with 4 seniors on the roster this year. If all decide to come back, does that mean we can’t offer any new scholarships, or is the 13 scholarship limit waived for the upcoming year?

We have 2 commitments for 2021 and appear to want a center and shooting guard as well.

I hearing that at least 1 senior might return. What say you, Huffy. Thanks.

Last edited:
I haven’t been able to a straight answer on this, so Huffy can you give this a shot? All seniors on scholarship that want to play next year, do they count against the total scholarship allowed?
In basketball, we will have 4 scholarships to give, with 4 seniors on the roster this year. If all decide to come back, does that mean we can’t offer any new scholarships, or is the 13 scholarship limit waived for the upcoming year?

We have 2 commitments for 2021 and appear to want a center and shooting guard as well.

Let me make some calls and see if I can get an answer from folks who are still in the business. I seem to remember the signing rules being different for Fall and Winter. You can keep players for the extra year but can’t over sign. We should be ok with football. We are 4 under the limit iirc and don’t have a huge class coming in. Some walk ons might suffer though. They might lose the tickets they might have otherwise have earned.

I haven’t been able to a straight answer on this, so Huffy can you give this a shot? All seniors on scholarship that want to play next year, do they count against the total scholarships allowed?

The way I understood it, you could sign as if every senior left, even if they all stayed, and we would all have an extra recruiting class for a couple of years. It wouldn't be fair to the incoming class to make it smaller across the board. If they didn't do it this way, then it would penalize the freshman coming in, because a lot of them wouldn't get signed if everybody had a multitude of seniors coming back.

Reactions: HuffyCane

The Magi say that the scholarship limit will be raised if there are players willing to come back and the school is willing to provide the scholarship. It’s quite possible for the next 5-6 years, some teams will have more scholarships than their conference foes, as this extra year of eligibility works its way out

The rule change grants eligibility only. It does not, and cannot, mandate that the school provide the scholarship.

Schools like Tulsa, with a tight bottom line, may very well say that the player is welcome back but will have to pay any gaps that academic scholarships can’t cover. Thus, whether we invite back on scholarship the seniors in basketball you are discussing may very well turn on how many Olympic sports have seniors who want to come back and whether we can afford them all. You know Alabama and UCF can. Your practice players will likely be pointed towards the portal while the Corey Taylors, who have NFL dreams and an huge long shot, might get to stay. What a horrible conversation to have with young men, some just a few credits from graduation.

In the alternative, if you want to keep your seniors and can’t fund bonus scholarships, you may have to pull offers or forebear signing freshmen.

There’s a lot of 3 star kids who verballed to big schools who are justifiably nervous about the numbers game. Schools like TU should keep an extra scholly just in case someone they like gets bad news from OSU. On the other hand, if you are a two star with room to grow and can pay your way with the books, you are solid gold to some programs and might get some big offers you wouldn’t otherwise get.

What a mess. And it’s going to last half decade because the amateur politicians wanted to pass something quick and feel good about themselves.

Football rosters might zoom past 110 between scholarship and walk-on extensions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Best players play and stay. If they are not as good as those that are coming in, then tell them to leave. Very simple.

Best players play and stay. If they are not as good as those that are coming in, then tell them to leave. Very simple.
Yes it is that simple, which is why you proved Huffy right. The universities and football and basketball programs of the universities.(three different parties) will look out for #1. So it will be the student/athletes who suffer for lack of scholarships and lack of a chance at the pros.

They should have left it as is, and not extended the eligibility of the seniors. As it is the lower half of recruits and team members for next year who will suffer over the virus. You've spread out the suffering instead of leaving it to a handicapped year for seniors, which would have been the least difficulty to the least # of athletes. It looked good on paper, but was the wrong decision.

The younger players will lose the most, because the seniors had several years to get their degree and prove their worth to the pro leagues. Younger players that would have had time to grow, and shine, won't get that chance. A lot of the pain will be redistributed to Olympic athletes.

That’s a great plan until you have recruits come to campus for a visit and the disgruntled kid at the end of the bench who is failing out and doesn’t care tells all the recruits about how all the coaches did his friend from last year dirty and they are no longer there and he thinks he will get the ax too and is just going home and not waiting around.

Im convinced that went on a lot with Wojick.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT