ADVERTISEMENT

Conference Games

Gmoney4WW

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tulane sure as heck ain't gonna be a pushover. 14-12 lead over Army at halftime.
They played SMU to a 3 pt loss. (Not to mention ECU.)

Gonna be a really short week, with just a couple of days to prepare.

Last edited:
Reactions: TULSARISING
Since then adds a TD Tulane to it's lead, and on their 13 with a 1st down. Might be an upset in the making.

Reactions: loca2874
Tulane isn’t a pushover for sure but a couple things to keep in mind. 1. They have a short week as well and 2. Not all teams match up the same. That’s why we almost lost to ECU and that’s why we will beat the brakes off of the Smoo

Slightly divergent thought, was hoping USC and Northwestern would be defeated for an opening,(by Arizona & Purdue) when we defeat SMU. Not looking great for that at the moment.

Slightly divergent thought, was hoping USC and Northwestern would be defeated for an opening,(by Arizona & Purdue) when we defeat SMU. Not looking great for that at the moment.
Both of those games are tied so it’s still possible. Also Army lost but North Carolina won. Both of them are ahead of us. If we beat the Smoo pretty good then we could jump people

Yeah if somebod(ies) in the top 25 lose. Come on Purdue & Arizona. Would suck if we just moved from 28th to 26th(or even worse 27th) with a win over SMU, cuz nobody lost. Doubt that would happen.(We'd prolly dump a team not playing w/ a win over SMU.) But I'd rather not have to count on that.

Army losing to Tulane helps conference perception. Us beating a top 25 team helps our case immensely.

we beat #19, and #11 on the road... ONly loss was a tight game on the road to another #11

How can you say we are not top 25 with any kind of credibility?

we beat #19, and #11 on the road... ONly loss was a tight game on the road to another #11

How can you say we are not top 25 with any kind of credibility?
Can we beat top 25 teams - yes. Can’t play like we did against ECU or Q1 of this game and beat both Tulane and UH. Top 25 teams beat the teams they should. We will see if we are there by the Sat after Thanksgiving

Reactions: loca2874
Can we beat top 25 teams - yes. Can’t play like we did against ECU or Q1 of this game and beat both Tulane and UH. Top 25 teams beat the teams they should. We will see if we are there by the Sat after Thanksgiving
Agreed

Top 25 teams beat the teams they should. Have we not done just that? I'm not understanding your logic here. Not hating, just don't understand it.

Well if that is comes to pass then fine... but our record speaks for itself, right now, today....

Top 25 teams beat the teams they should. Have we not done just that? I'm not understanding your logic here. Not hating, just don't understand it.
I am as big of a TU supporter as anyone. I spend 4 years as a student as well as a player and have been a financial supporter for 40 years. Even with my Blue and Gold glasses I try to look at the facts and down play my emotion. As such, the logic is did we really win the ECU game? In the standings yes, but other than the euphoria of the late score and relief of the last defensive play did you really come away feeling like WOW we are a top 25 team? I believe we have a top 10-15 defense, but a sporadic offense and unreliable special teams puts us at risk against anyone on our schedule. Beat Tulane!

Last edited:
I wonder if there might be a mini exodus beginning for Memphis. Gainwell(RB) opted out on the season, and might be entering the draft. Coxie(WR) quit playing recently, and is entering the draft. Will be interesting to keep an eye on whether a number of others don't take off because the transition from Norvell to Silverfield didn't go as smoothly as they had hoped.

Reactions: HuffyCane
I am as big of a TU supporter as anyone. I spend 4 years as a student as well as a player and have been a financial supporter for 40 years. Even with my Blue and Gold glasses I try to look at the facts and down play my emotion. As such, the logic is did we really win the ECU game? In the standings yes, but other than the euphoria of the late score and relief of the last defensive play did you really come away feeling like WOW we are a top 25 team? I believe we have a top 10-15 defense, but a sporadic offense and unreliable special teams puts us at risk against anyone on our schedule. Beat Tulane!
This. You could put up a highlight reel for Smith or post an equally long comedy reel. People look at more than records when projecting where you will be at the end of the year or how you rank right now. We deserve to be where we are at. There’s some teams above us who don’t deserve to be there. Let’s hope that shakes out and we move up.

I guess it’s not good enough to win, now you have to have the “style points“ to go with the winning. We haven’t made things easy on ourselves, but the talent level on both sides is clear. The defense is, IMO, a top 15 D nationally. Smith is capable of being one of the top QBs in the nation. The numbers for quarters 2-4 would put him in the top tier of QBs. Personally, I think the head coach is keeping us from being as great as we could be.

I wonder if there might be a mini exodus beginning for Memphis. Gainwell(RB) opted out on the season, and might be entering the draft. Coxie(WR) quit playing recently, and is entering the draft. Will be interesting to keep an eye on whether a number of others don't take off because the transition from Norvell to Silverfield didn't go as smoothly as they had hoped.
And Fla St transition to Norvell has not gone well either

Teams have trouble with other teams in their conference all the time. A couple years ago KU held their own against OU and UT. That was a playoff OU team by the way and Texas was #9. Stop overreacting already over a close game. I swear it seems like some people would rather us lose and and be right with their own opinion then the team to win, regardless of how close it was. Theres already quite a few people I only see appear in threads when the team is down in the game, give their 2 cents on Monty and Smith, then disappear after TU takes over. Just enjoy a win.

Teams have trouble with other teams in their conference all the time. A couple years ago KU held their own against OU and UT. That was a playoff OU team by the way and Texas was #9. Stop overreacting already over a close game. I swear it seems like some people would rather us lose and and be right with their own opinion then the team to win, regardless of how close it was. Theres already quite a few people I only see appear in threads when the team is down in the game, give their 2 cents on Monty and Smith, then disappear after TU takes over. Just enjoy a win.
You're right. I think most of our melt is the seeming lack of energy out of the gate from TU, especially on offense.

ECU did some things that other teams have not against us. They almost exclusively went strong side when they ran their plays. They played away from Collins all night. They moved the pocket a lot as well. Ahlers is pretty effective in those situations actually. And ECU's offense was probably the most efficient they've been all season TBH. Yeah they've put up a ton of yards and pts in other games, but they seemed to find a rhythm early and kept plugging away at us.

Against SMU, our defense adjusted as SMU was trying to go away from Collins. Then Gillespie started having Collins moving around a ton. He'd line up between Player and Stevenson on the line one play. He'd line up as a rush end on another. I believe on the play he got the interception to seal the game, he lined up on the line and dropped last second. He was 15 yards down field and Buechele never saw him coming underneath the receiver. It's amazing some of the things you can do when you have the best athlete on the field on your team. (Remember how we used Charles Clay in combo with Damaris Johnson? Those 2 cats were frequently the best players on the field no matter who we played). Expect to see more moving Collins around on defense to really confuse the QB and offense. It also helps when you've got Treyvon Reeves and Justin Wright who can absolutely fly to the football. I've been watching TU football for 30 years and I cannot remember a more talented, more athletic group of LBs in old gold and royal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT