ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Kragthorpe

RIP Coach Kragthorpe. Hopefully TU does something special for him and his family this season. He revived a program that wasn't far from being shuttered and we should all be grateful for his contributions to TU football not just the 4yrs but the ensuing 15 afterwards.

Might have been the most important TU football coach of my lifetime. Just a class individual. RIP
I was a hall director at TU when he came. I had a lot of his players as residents. He was a genuinely good guy...and I'm grateful I had the chance to meet him and talk to him outside of GHC events.

Reactions: Henry Kendall
He may have saved TU football from what I have heard.
I still use his wisdom on having complete control of my attitude and effort on many things in my life.
I also share it with other people who could benefit from the words of wisdom.

Reactions: Henry Kendall
RIP Coach....thanks for coming to TU and saving our program.....more importantly thanks for being the class act that you are .....TU is a better place because you were here. 😢

:TU:

Tulsa won the 1st C-USA Football Championship game in 2005 ... Kragthorpe left the following year for Louisville and his success at TU didn't translate to the Cards .... notwithstanding the more money ,,, more, more . more , bromide !!! .... never should have left Tulsa ...

Tulsa won the 1st C-USA Football Championship game in 2005 ... Kragthorpe left the following year for Louisville and his success at TU didn't translate to the Cards .... notwithstanding the more money ,,, more, more . more , bromide !!! .... never should have left Tulsa ...
He left because the AD was a friend and he felt he was doing them a favor. Louisville may not have won much but at least we all know Kragthorpe wasn't cheating. Rigth after that was when Petrino got busted and then Pitino got busted for recruiting violations...and shortly after that Louisville got busted as part of the adidas pay for play scandal and should have received the death penalty.

I think Coach O'Leary and Coach Kragthorpe had a healthy respect for one another and that made the rivalry with UCF great.

One of my favorite Kragthorpe moments was in 2006 in a home game against North Texas. We were down 3-0 late in the first half against a team that we had beaten 54-2 the previous year. It wasn't a good half and it looked like Krag was more than happy to run out the clock to get into the locker room but then North Texas decided to call a time out. It was as if Steve took offense and to this and decided to let Paul Smith air it out after that. We scored on the last play of the half and went on to win 28-3. I have a lot of great memories of Kragthorpe's 4 years but that one sticks out for me.

One of my favorite Kragthorpe moments was in 2006 in a home game against North Texas. We were down 3-0 late in the first half against a team that we had beaten 54-2 the previous year. It wasn't a good half and it looked like Krag was more than happy to run out the clock to get into the locker room but then North Texas decided to call a time out. It was as if Steve took offense and to this and decided to let Paul Smith air it out after that. We scored on the last play of the half and went on to win 28-3. I have a lot of great memories of Kragthorpe's 4 years but that one sticks out for me.
Kragthorpe was as intense a competitor as any coach we've ever had...but you never heard him bad mouth an opponent, even when just trying to talk up his own team, it was never at the expense of the other team. Everyone remembers Burns' infamous trashing of OSU in trying to hype up his TU team turning the corner...and then we soundly got trounced like we were a I-AA school in a sacrifice game. Graham sort of undercut opposing programs talking up TU. Kragthorpe never did (that I can recall). He was pure class.

The 54-2 game still makes me giggle, we were there and loling the entire game.

Cody Rhodes just worked the mic and said, “you better be nice this next season, nepats!”
I'm always nice! Only person there I had heard of was RR. I was in awe of the hardcore fans that have indoctrinated their kids into rasslin. The slapping still makes me lol when it happens.

If recall correctly Kragthorpe and the AD at the time had a previous relationship that made the job attractive. He had the misfortune of accepting the clean up job after Petrino. The athletic talent was there when he arrived, but the character and accountability certainly weren't, and the stories of misconduct by said talent was well known. Petrino and Les Miles have had an uncanny knack for leaving the universities they've led with really messy off field issues that good men have cleaned up for the next guy.

Reactions: goldenhurricane2
If recall correctly Kragthorpe and the AD at the time had a previous relationship that made the job attractive. He had the misfortune of accepting the clean up job after Petrino. The athletic talent was there when he arrived, but the character and accountability certainly weren't, and the stories of misconduct by said talent was well known. Petrino and Les Miles have had an uncanny knack for leaving the universities they've led with really messy off field issues that good men have cleaned up for the next guy.
Pretty much nailed it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT