ADVERTISEMENT

Cinci -13 point favorite

Win or lose, I just don't want us to get embarrassed. Too many serious injuries to not easily replaced players right now. Hoping for quick recoveries on at least a few of those injuries.

I want to win. It may be to our advantage that Cincinnati has been idle so long.

Need Smith to finally have a good game. It can happen.

I looked at the scores of games for both Tulsa and Cincinnati. 13 points sounds about right.

On the defensive side, both CIncinnati and Tulsa have held their AAC opponents down to a low and similar scores.

But Cincinnati's offense has scored a bunch more points against AAC opponents than Tulsa.

Smith needs to have a good game. In fairness to Smith in the Navy game, there were catchable passes not made by receivers. As the announcers stated, the receivers have to help the QB. Also, Smith threw two touchdown passes against Navy but a holding penalty canceled one of the touchdown passes (reminded me of the Oklahoma State game in which a penalty wiped out a TD). Catches not made and penalties are going to eventually come home to haunt. Tulsa needs to play its very best game of the season against Cincinnati.

Last edited:
The spread is designed to induce betting, not pick winners. It’s high, but not too high. 10.5 is fair with our defense — if Collins is 100%.

If we play on offense like we played yesterday, we will lose by 30.

There were drops but most of the incomplete passes were just horrible passes.
He’s hurt and there may be some footwork issues as well. You like the maturity and the understanding but that only goes so far. Would you rather have a QB who can see it all and only do part of it due to injury or a QB that may not see it all right now but has the skills to do most of it better but not do it all? Smith can still throw late to the field side and not risk an interception. That’s solid gold to a coach. We haven’t seen if Brin can do that yet. If he can’t, with our offense, that closes about a third of the play book. As we saw with Boomer.

It’s a tough call. It’s why he is making millions.

Brin can get rid of the ball much faster than Smith. He’s not going to get 6 or 7 seconds against Cincy like he was against Navy. If that ball isn’t out of his hands in three seconds he’ll be running for his life.
Totally agree. But we may just be seeing him do that because he is running plays that favor his strengths. When he side steps traffic and throws late to the field sideline and hits Santana in the hands before the safety can get there even though the safety saw it happen before he even decides to throw, then I’ll say Brin clearly is superior to Smith. Smith can do that. We haven’t seen Brin have to try. I would play Brin right now based on other things. Smith’s ball security is benching for one. The stories about this defense being unable to stop the offense in fall camp when Brin was in there is the other. If you remember, the gossip out of camp was that this defense would be a slight notch down from last year due to graduation.

Totally agree. But we may just be seeing him do that because he is running plays that favor his strengths. When he side steps traffic and throws late to the field sideline and hits Santana in the hands before the safety can get there even though the safety saw it happen before he even decides to throw, then I’ll say Brin clearly is superior to Smith. Smith can do that. We haven’t seen Brin have to try. I would play Brin right now based on other things. Smith’s ball security is benching for one. The stories about this defense being unable to stop the offense in fall camp when Brin was in there is the other. If you remember, the gossip out of camp was that this defense would be a slight notch down from last year due to graduation.

I got to watch one practice last fall while helping out with move-in day on sorority row. I mentioned here at the time that Smith looked like a QB but Brin looked like *the* QB. Sadly, I was roundly criticized here for that opinion.

I know it was only one practice but first impressions can be lasting.

Man were 'they' wrong bout the defense. Lends one to think they were certainly NOT wrong bout Brin.

The spread is designed to induce betting, not pick winners. It’s high, but not too high. 10.5 is fair with our defense — if Collins is 100%.

If we play on offense like we played yesterday, we will lose by 30.
I concur completely with your opinions. If we put ourselves in the hole we have every game this season it is going to be a very long day. Our defense can't be out there at a 2 to 1 ratio.

Reactions: HuffyCane
If Brin does not play, Tulsa loses by 10+ - no doubt.

Monty is an idiot.

I know you are praying that TU does horrible Saturday so you can tear into Phil’s
ass all game long . That’s your mantra and your reason for posting every week...
negative ,negative and another dose of negative is all you ever bring .
I don’t know who beat you as a kid but Jesus you get old .

I looked at the scores of games for both Tulsa and Cincinnati. 13 points sounds about right.

On the defensive side, both CIncinnati and Tulsa have held their AAC opponents down to a low and similar scores.

But Cincinnati's offense has scored a bunch more points against AAC opponents than Tulsa.

Smith needs to have a good game. In fairness to Smith in the Navy game, there were catchable passes not made by receivers. As the announcers stated, the receivers have to help the QB. Also, Smith threw two touchdown passes against Navy but a holding penalty canceled one of the touchdown passes (reminded me of the Oklahoma State game in which a penalty wiped out a TD). Catches not made and penalties are going to eventually come home to haunt. Tulsa needs to play its very best game of the season against Cincinnati.
The holding penalty that wiped out the TD to start the 2Q was pretty phantom and par for the course when it comes to the officiating in games where Navy is involved. I've watched the play a couple of dozen times and can't figure out what someone thought was holding. Penalties like that happen to every team and I'm OK with those. I hate the delay of game penalties which is nothing more than the HC not managing the game properly, especially when he decides with under 15 seconds on the play clock to substitute. If I'm a DC, I take that chance to sub right then and take my time doing it since the refs will hold the play up until you've finished. I hate false starts. Literally NO EXCUSE. I hate offsides...again...NO EXCUSE. I hate anything that results in unsportsmanlike conduct or unnecessary roughness penalties that occur AFTER the whistle. All of those penalties are signs of mental weakness, lack of focus, and lack of team first attitude. Those things should be wiped out after the first time they happen. We can't have our DBs up in the faces of the Cincy receivers talking smack this week because the refs will through flags like they're getting rid of used Kleenex to save Cincy (if needed).

Our defense is better than Cincinnati's. The adjustments made after half time in most of our games have simply been outstanding. There have only been a handful of field length drives against our D....teams simply cannot sustain drives against us consistently. We routinely have the advantage on almost all 3rd downs because we force teams into negative plays on 1st and 2nd down. There was a time I had zero confidence in a TU defense to get off the field on 3rd down when they had a 3rd and long. Now I'm surprised when teams convert 3rd downs. ECU is still the only team to attack the edges on 1st and 2nd downs by moving the pocket and getting our LBs off their spots. They used the short passes almost like run plays to gain 2-3 yards to put them in positive 3rd down and distance plays. I think if we go back and look, ECU is probably the only team we've played with more than 1 TD drive longer than 65 yards against us. Our offense and special teams have put our defense in some awful short field situations this year otherwise our PPG defense is even better. We needed a miracle against Tulane because of awful game mgmt by Monty and poor KO coverage. I think Tulane's last 2 scoring drives covered about 50 total yards. And that's another thing TU needs to do is capitalize on plus field situations. We didn't against Navy last week. Seriously, TU should have won that game by 24 or more points. We can't have those mistakes against Cincy. We don't have the warm up time for the offense to figure out what they're doing or for Smith to spot the Bearcats 10pts before he completes a pass.

And you're right, TU needs to pay a full 60 minutes in all 3 phases of the game and I'm not sure we've seen that this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT