ADVERTISEMENT

Chris: Recruiting & Playing Strategy

shon46

I.T.S. Defensive Coordinator
Sep 16, 2008
UK
Just curious to know if you have been able to glean what their recruiting strategy and geographic preferences are? They went after and got quality but underrated guys early on and we have been sitting in sort of a hover pattern since then. Would Monty prefer to lock the underrated guys up early and just fight it out power 5 all the way up to signing day or would they prefer to battle with power 5 early for the top guys and just let the process play out? Finally, BB preferred to redshirt/greyshirt key positions. Has Monty voiced his preference on that or is it the best man plays no matter what? I preface that question knowing the cupboard was pretty empty as far as quality depth and recognize what he might want to do and what he is able to do are probably different. Thanks as always!

The problem with recruiting, for coaches, is that it is so unpredictable. They all have strategies, or plans, going into it, but it changes throughout the entire recruiting cycle. It's always a fluid process, and there is only so much that coaches can control. All coaches would love to have their classes wrapped up as quickly as possible, but for Tulsa, they will always be battling to the end with some kids.

Monty and his staff are heavily recruiting Texas and Oklahoma...that's the bread and butter. But they are still getting into Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas and Louisiana. And they have no problem battling P5 schools, but it's always a balance to know when to cut bait on kids that aren't really reciprocating.

As for redshirting and grayshirting...I don't think you'll see as much grayshirting as you did with Graham, but it's always a possible option with some kids. TU redshirted several kids this season, and I think they'll continue to do that when they can. But if a kid can make a significant contribution as a freshman, then they'll play him.

I believe this staff also has been trying to recruit those prospects that many P5 schools recruit and want. We offered around 20 4 and 5-star prospects and around 50 3-star prospects. As a recruiter you can determine early in the recruiting process whether you have a legitimate shot at signing a player or not. If not, you don't continue to spend time and resources pursuing those that you know want to go to a P5 school and also those that want to go to the top P5 schools.

One thing I've noticed with our committed prospects is that we are going after kids with better size and speed, than in the last few years. Maybe some of these prospects are not as far along, skill-wise or technique-wise, otherwise they'd be 3,4 and 5-star prospects. But as we saw this past year, the staff seems to be able to develop players and get them into positions where they can be most successful.

Reactions: TU Sepp and TUMU
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT