ADVERTISEMENT

Central Ark Game Thread

Last 5 minutes was really disjointed for TU. Offensive sets were sort of whacked out.

I really wished our D rotation and double team came from somewhere unexpected. Always comes from the weak side and always allows the opposite side kick out. It is the thing we have all complained about for years. Better yet, let our interior guys just do their best to defend the guy 1v1. Every D1 college basketball team has kids who can shoot the 3. EVERY. ONE. Most teams have an 11th Guy I the rotation and that’s all they can do. Not every team has a refined big man who is always going to make 60% of his shots from inside of 8 feet. Play sound fundamental post defense and take your chances.

For everyone griping about our offense...Illinois State was an anomaly. We will probably have 5-6 games out of our 30 where we play that poorly on offense. This team can hit shots...and a lot of them. 47 points in the 1st half against a team that is probably as talented as Lamar and has some length.

Yeah the complaints from a few people that we're not any better on offense are way off. We had very few big halves like this last year(or even the good years before that) and it's happening with regularity this year

Reactions: Weatherdemon
I honestly think this is the worst rebounding team TU has had since I’ve been a TU fan. Absolutely atrocious.

We are getting careless with our passing and it is resulting in some TOs and easy baskets and all of a sudden it’s a 12 pt game. UCA is overplaying every pass and they’re crashing on the offensive glass because at this point they have nothing to lose.

Cut out the TOs and I doubt it matters.

UCA coach is a clown show. He argued the offensive foul where I guy got hit in the neck. Then was calling for a moving screen when Junior was somehow behind two of their guys and Taplin was looking at this and dribbling. I told him he was stupid and didn’t know the rules. He sort of argued back but I think he agreed.

Refs calling this one like it’s an NBA game

They’ve called a dozen travels. I don’t think a dozen travels have been called in NBA this year. Everyone seems to have mellowed our this half. Sam Elliott even quit yelling.

We started slow but have played very well since. I actually think our rebounding is better than in recent games. Lots of long shots result in lots of long rebounds.

I continue to be impressed with Joiner. He’s got a great handle, excellent defender and is a good shooter.

Reactions: Gold*
Refs calling this one like it’s an NBA game

They’ve called a dozen travels. I don’t think a dozen travels have been called in NBA this year. Everyone seems to have mellowed our this half. Sam Elliott even quit yelling.
I’m talking the ridiculous jump into players and call the defender for a foul even though he’s backing off the play.

As meh as we have played this half, we still have a 16 pt lead. Now if Etou can slow himself down half a beat and understand the situation maybe he won’t jack up a 3 at his earliest convenience.

Right now Igbanu-Etou-Taplin-Henderson-Scott on the floor. Would love to see Jeffries in there for Scott and see if our rebounding doesn’t improve with that 5

Everyone bitches about rebounding but the turnovers bother me more.

Everyone bitches about rebounding but the turnovers bother me more.
100% agree, especially the careless ones for lazy passes. I can take the occasional travel or a pass that is not handled or fumbled. But lazy, lack of concentration passes kill me

Woke up feeling like crap, had to go back to sleep, didn't wake up till almost halftime. Pissed off because the one game I didn't feel like going to and they didn't have on regular tv or espn3. Let me get this straight? Play a little sloppy on turnovers, rebounded like crap, defense semi decent, offense pretty good, and didn't shorten the bench? Oh and Henderson finally shooting like we hoped for.

Haith told the broadcast crew we might have to shorten the bench, guess he'll wait till we're losing?

Woke up feeling like crap, had to go back to sleep, didn't wake up till almost halftime. Pissed off because the one game I didn't feel like going to and they didn't have on regular tv or espn3. Let me get this straight? Play a little sloppy on turnovers, rebounded like crap, defense semi decent, offense pretty good, and didn't shorten the bench? Oh and Henderson finally shooting like we hoped for.

Haith told the broadcast crew we might have to shorten the bench, guess he'll wait till we're losing?

Good summation. We have played 11 guys but Korita, and Artison were barely out there. In fact, until I checked the box score just now I’d forgotten Korita came in during the 1sthalf.

I hate turnovers also. We have 13 not all that bad. It is rebounding that is hurting. 18 off boards. Really!

Defense has actually been much better this half. UCA just started making a few

And we’ve missed 10 FTs. We are going to score in bunches this year. If we can defend just a little and not get completely obliterated on the glass we’ll be in every game.

I’ve never seen such a bunch of grumpy guses. TU scores 92 points, wins by 20 and you grab one stat line and spend the entire game “grumble, grumble, grumble”. Sit back, enjoy life and say “good game Hurricane”.

I’ve never seen such a bunch of grumpy guses. TU scores 92 points, wins by 20 and you grab one stat line and spend the entire game “grumble, grumble, grumble”. Sit back, enjoy life and say “good game Hurricane”.
I agree with you in one sense, but on another it is a weakness we have had that will repeatedly kill us in games against better teams. So there's that. It's kind of a future bitch without the, "Go Hurricane!" that should accompany the future tense bitch.

One disadvantage of them shooting badly is they miss a lot of shots, which means they have a lot of chances for offensive rebounds. They missed 40 shots. Giving up offensive rebounds on half the missed shots is bad no doubt but holding them to 38% shooting will make the absolute number look worse. Illinois State by comparison only had 8 offensive rebounds and how'd that work out for us? When you hit all your shots, you don't get many offensive rebounds.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
One disadvantage of them shooting badly is they miss a lot of shots, which means they have a lot of chances for offensive rebounds. They missed 40 shots. Giving up offensive rebounds on half the missed shots is bad no doubt but holding them to 38% shooting will make the absolute number look worse. Illinois State by comparison only had 8 offensive rebounds and how'd that work out for us? When you hit all your shots, you don't get many offensive rebounds.

With them missing that many shots we should have hammered them in total rebounds. Defensive rebounds are the easy ones to get so rebounding numbers generally look worse when the other team shoots well. When they shoot poorly, you should win rebounding

Last edited:
On top of this, how many fouls did we commit while trying to offensive rebound. Luv Nevada’s optimism but like gold I have no explanation how we are this bad on the defensive boards

Only available on tulsahurricane.com PPV or whatever it’s called. I’m watching there and it is working (been much better the past year or two)
When can you watch the game archived if you have a subscription? It doesn't alow me at this me.

Good summation. We have played 11 guys but Korita, and Artison were barely out there. In fact, until I checked the box score just now I’d forgotten Korita came in during the 1sthalf.
We saw a lot more of Jackson.

So far Jackson's minutes have been 2, 2,12, 4,10, & 7. So yeah Jackson is seeing increasing time on the court over the past 4 games. He probably sacrificed a little time to Henderson this game.

Reactions: ctt8410
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT