ADVERTISEMENT

Canada Thoughts

HuffyCane

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 25, 2004
Donovan dancing on the side line makes as much sense as him having his back to goal. Klinsman's infatuation with having creating midfielders on the wings makes no sense.

Game looked like a repeat of U23 qualifying. Canada had everyone on defense just about denying the USA at the midfield stripe. Anytime the US stepped over the line, tiger teams, usually a destroyer and a defender, sometimes with even more help, were there to frustrate play before it began. Tulsa struggled against the same tactics at times last season as well.

These tactics led to some sluggish defense and chances late in the game for Canada. The USA had trouble holding the ball late and letting the defense rest -- a huge problem in the 2006 WC.

Watching Donovan sit wide and try to turn defenders or break them down on a first step was painful. That has never been his game. Get him in space facing the goal. Get him on a counter or in transition. That's where he is America's best player, not that mess during the first 10 minutes of the second half.

One thing Donovan did do was make Castillo look good on the ball on the overlaps. Everytime he pinched in, Castillo had success. Now if Castillo was just as consistent on the defensive side of the ball, we'd have two left defenders -- a nice problem to have.

Still struggling to swing the ball in on crosses. That's the USA's game in CONCACAF. We are bigger, meaner, and quicker in nearly every qualifying game. Get that ball on target into the mixer and its a goal. Im wondering if we are able to do that in the 4-2-3-1 we are currently seeing.

Torres had a bad game. Dispossessed a lot. A liability on defense.

Not a lot of positive to say in a game that looked like the US was throwing to avoid injuries and be diplomatic.

Eff DeRo
This post was edited on 6/4 8:59 AM by HuffyCane
This post was edited on 6/4 9:01 AM by HuffyCane

Don't disagree about Torres....but I like him alot....he is like the US "poor boy" version of Xavi or Iniesta....small, quick, and alot of creativity....I know its a huge stretch but I like the little guy....

Just my two cents....

GO TU!!!

Dont disagree. He's been hyped as the answer to transforming US soccer since his U23 days. The kid can flat out play -- so long as he isnt being pushed down or cover box to box. IOW, things might improve as he matures, but the bottom line is that he is perfect for the Mexican Primera and a liability playing more than 30 minutes for the US against elite competition. Im thinking supersub. Come on late and spark the attack when covering back isnt as much a concern. Or insert at the 10 minute mark to help hold the ball and let the defense rest.

He can get the ball forward and make passes that few can even see. That's golden right now. The USA had a striker on the field last night that didnt touch the ball for all of his 13 minutes played, except once when he was dispossessed by three players at once. That cant continue. Torres can help solve the problem. No question.

Looking forward to the UEFA Cup....
good football.

Go Oranje....

GO TU!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT