ADVERTISEMENT

Campus Grill

TUTigerCane

I.T.S. Sophomore
Nov 30, 2007
I am hearing that the Campus Grill may be closed. Can anyone confirm? I know that there were some landlord issues, but I was hoping to have a pre-game breakfast and post-game beer there this Saturday.

I drove by at lunch today and it was closed. No worries for Saturday morning though as I'm sure Ed's will be more than happy to throw a bloody mary together for me.

This really sucks. It was the only establishment within walking distance of the stadium that sold Marshall beers.

Sucks. They had decent food and it was the best bar at that location since the original Hardwood with $5 Boulevard pitchers. May have been better.

Isn't the building's owner the living personification of FOT?

What is so hard about keeping anything open at that location?
ohwell.gif

I have heard the biggest issue is the landlord of the building. Over charges because it's next to TU and doesn't care about keeping tenant long term because he knows someone else will try.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

That's what I hear, too.

I actually liked that place a little more than BBD.

Needs to be owner occupied until TU Kelos the asshat who owns that place.

("Kelos" and "asshat" in the same sentence -- that's why they keep me around.)

Seems like a great deal. I wonder if whatever opens next will honor the $100 for $50 card they sold me at Ballerz (was that really the name?) to go with the TU-BYU game they are supposed to get on a special feed.

I remember sitting there for about an hour and a half with a big group while they promised us repeatedly that they were going to get the game on. Catbird called me to laugh at me several times. Those were the days.

Originally posted by DirtyDanchez:
Back in the day I heard the guy wanted like 5k per month for rent.

That's the same number that I've heard, along with a resistance to do any repairs.

Maybe it should be torn down and replaced with a replica of J.R.'s.

By the way, I did a Google search for an old photo of J.R.'s, and I mostly got photos from the Tulsa race riots.
frown.gif

J.R.'s was a U-Tote-Em when I was at TU. Used to walk over there for a bottle of Dr. Pepper and a bag of dry-roasted peanuts every night before starting to study (like I actually did).

I've got the "It's Coors Time" clock from inside JRs.

Im not sure who I am going to marry, but she is marrying me and that clock.

Burn Co is the better food option in the area and you can walk down and booze it at Ed's. Im sorry Campus Grill, didnt make it, but it doesnt break my heart either. C-I-L-L my landlord!
This post was edited on 3/1 3:25 PM by HuffyCane

In my opinion TU needs to focus on trying to improve the commercial areas around campus to help recruiting not only with students but athletes as well.

Has anyone ever thought that the lack of quality restaurants close to campus might hurt attendance to athletic events too? I for one greatly enjoyed grabbing a bite and beer at the Campus Grill, or a burger at the Metro before a game. This is one of the things I love about the new Drillers Stadium. There's a great selection of places to eat within walking distance of OneOK Park.

Originally posted by Barlass:
Has anyone ever thought that the lack of quality restaurants close to campus might hurt attendance to athletic events too? I for one greatly enjoyed grabbing a bite and beer at the Campus Grill, or a burger at the Metro before a game. This is one of the things I love about the new Drillers Stadium. There's a great selection of places to eat within walking distance of OneOK Park.

You mean Arby's, Taco Bell and Coney Islander aren't quality restaurants to you? What could be hipper than a microwave burrito and a jumbo can of Keystone from the QT?
cool.gif

Campus Grill was that place. Tdf to the east is pretty good and rivalcane won't go there. But yeah, they need something decent to stuck. The Campbell is promising.

Wish there was some land anywhere around the TU campus that was big enough to put in a Buffalo Wild Wings or some sort of place like that.

So this is old JR's? What happened to the Bucaneer? That place was usually even too nasty for us in college, and we'd drink beer out of a pig's butt.

Btw, who was the puss who threw away year old beer? I remember
Someone asking if it would be bad and me being shocked he'd care. I was at my dads house and found some beer from 2001 and drank it. Wasn't too good but it was bud so what do you expect. Still did the trick.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

The Bucaneer is still alive and well. I went in there for a beer before a game earlier this season. After 20 minutes my clothes smelled like an ashtray.

Reminded me of the days when my soccer team was sponsored by the old Brookside Bar. Except then we would be there for several hours!

Wow.....U Scrotum... Blast from the past. I thought it was torn down to build the diner....JRs was directly across the street to the west....who know though; been way too long

No, this is across 11th. East of Mazzios.

I've never been too good for the Buc. Tulsa's oldest bar! I love the "locals".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT