ADVERTISEMENT

California and Coronavirus

If California is waiting on this virus to be gone before they reopen they're going to be waiting a very long time. Not sure what they're going to do about the huge budget shortfalls which are sure to result from shutting down your state for the rest of the year but I certainly hope the Feds exercise some restraint in the distribution of funds to those states who choose to keep their economies closed. Feel bad for the millions who will lose their jobs and businesses there.

If California is waiting on this virus to be gone before they reopen they're going to be waiting a very long time. Not sure what they're going to do about the huge budget shortfalls which are sure to result from shutting down your state for the rest of the year but I certainly hope the Feds exercise some restraint in the distribution of funds to those states who choose to keep their economies closed. Feel bad for the millions who will lose their jobs and businesses there.
If he can get away with it, I'm sure Trump would have no problem regulating Cali's money by not sending them any.

Anyone care to explain why California would announce at this time they will stay closed for the next three months and lose billions of dollars? Are they expecting those who open back up to pick up their debts or do they have a huge rainy day fund? Seems to make little sense especially as we see the rest of the country start to open things back up. Even New York is easing restrictions in a growing number of places. Do their professional sports teams look for other states to play in as we approach late summer? Does the PAC12 just fold up athletics?

Anyone care to explain why California would announce at this time they will stay closed for the next three months and lose billions of dollars? Are they expecting those who open back up to pick up their debts or do they have a huge rainy day fund? Seems to make little sense especially as we see the rest of the country start to open things back up. Even New York is easing restrictions in a growing number of places. Do their professional sports teams look for other states to play in as we approach late summer? Does the PAC12 just fold up athletics?
Somebody needs to offer up the BOK center to the Lakers.

California didn't announce they would stay closed for the next three months. LA County said they'd likely extend "Stay-at-Home". California is in Stage 2 of their re-opening plan.

Regardless, you'd save yourself all this handwringing if you acknowledged that "Stay-at-Home" with a long list of exceptions and "Open Up" with a long list of restrictions are mostly just a difference in branding.

California didn't announce they would stay closed for the next three months. LA County said they'd likely extend "Stay-at-Home". California is in Stage 2 of their re-opening plan.

Regardless, you'd save yourself all this handwringing if you acknowledged that "Stay-at-Home" with a long list of exceptions and "Open Up" with a long list of restrictions are mostly just a difference in branding.

Having a list of state schools already announcing they won’t be open to students this fall doesn’t help either. From an outsider it appears there’s a lot of confusion as to what will open and when. If campuses are closed this fall the PAC12 will likely have issues with athletics if other conferences play.

Interesting how states like Cali and NY are totally unwilling to cooperate with the feds on illegal immigration enforcement, are first in line requesting that the feds help them with the virus.

Reactions: GoldenCaneKC
Interesting how states like Cali and NY are totally unwilling to cooperate with the feds on illegal immigration enforcement, are first in line requesting that the feds help them with the virus.
Totally interesting how the majority of the funds paid to the federal government come from Cali and NY.

Totally interesting how the majority of the funds paid to the federal government come from Cali and NY.

21% of federal tax revenue. Texas will likely pass New York in federal tax revenue this year. California is far ahead of both. They also have the largest number of people living in poverty by a large margin. Have and have nots on the left coast.

21% of federal tax revenue. Texas will likely pass New York in federal tax revenue this year. California is far ahead of both. They also have the largest number of people living in poverty by a large margin. Have and have nots on the left coast.
Still makes sense that they would turn to the feds, who they fund, for help when they are in trouble

Still makes sense that they would turn to the feds, who they fund, for help when they are in trouble

I suspect all states will. The question is whether those states who remain closed for months to come will be given assistance for loss of state tax revenue over that time period.

cal and ny have some of the highest tax rates in the country
Maybe cali could cut their expenses and only fund esentials. Like we the people do.

Last edited:
Disband prisons & eliminate all juvenile prisons, of course!

Lol they’re actually doing that. One thing liberals truly cannot tolerate is being constant innocent victims of crimes... they will leave.

Homelessness is a huge issue in CA. I was in Oakland last October and it was horrible. Oakland is just an awful place to visit. Much of the problem is the over-inflated cost of living in CA. It's just absolutely ridiculous. Gas, food, rent....all way too high and probably artificially so.

I think Newsom is taking a very conservative approach to reopening, especially considering the number of lung issues in CA because of the dirty air and the density of people. Texas and their grand reopening party has experienced 2000 new cases in the last week. OK had 150 the other day, one of the single highest totals for a single day. And people are just plain stupid and irresponsible. Put a damn mask on when you're inside places where other people are and there's the chance for close proximity contact. I went to Target yesterday because we needed some essentials...maybe 5 people in the store outside of Target employees had a mask on. At least Costco required the mask (Costco, IMO, has dealt with this very well. They hand masks out at the door, they are pretty respectful, they help people with the check-out lines and keeping distance...hell they even opened a new register when the lines got super long).

I think Newsom is taking a very conservative approach to reopening, especially considering the number of lung issues in CA because of the dirty air and the density of people. Texas and their grand reopening party has experienced 2000 new cases in the last week. OK had 150 the other day, one of the single highest totals for a single day. And people are just plain stupid and irresponsible. Put a damn mask on when you're inside places where other people are and there's the chance for close proximity contact. I went to Target yesterday because we needed some essentials...maybe 5 people in the store outside of Target employees had a mask on. At least Costco required the mask (Costco, IMO, has dealt with this very well. They hand masks out at the door, they are pretty respectful, they help people with the check-out lines and keeping distance...hell they even opened a new register when the lines got super long).

1). Agree...people in large part aren’t smart and their actions reflect the same

2). Looking at an individual day testing results provides no insight into the pandemic situation especially in Oklahoma where test reporting numbers are inconsistent from day to day. New hospitalizations over the last seven days totaled 54. This is the smallest number since the outbreak began and as I’ve said many times is the most consistent measure of infection spread comparison as it eliminates the metric of increased testing which of course yields more positive results. To date our phased opening has been a success. Openings in Georgia and Florida look to be positive as well. I don’t know anything about the metrics in Texas.

Good luck w tryouts today :)

Last edited:
Yeah Texas has doubled their testing in the last few weeks. They're catching more cases, but the true number of total new cases every day is likely declining.

Reactions: maverickfp
1). Agree...people in large part aren’t smart and their actions reflect the same

2). Looking at an individual day testing results provides no insight into the pandemic situation especially in Oklahoma where test reporting numbers are inconsistent from day to day. New hospitalizations over the last seven days totaled 54. This is the smallest number since the outbreak began and as I’ve said many times is the most consistent measure of infection spread comparison as it eliminates the metric of increased testing which of course yields more positive results. To date our phased opening has been a success. Openings in Georgia and Florida look to be positive as well. I don’t know anything about the metrics in Texas.

I don't believe testing and reporting in Florida is reliable enough to make any kind of assessment as to whether things are positive in Florida. They just had 33,000 tests in Florida deemed as unreliable. And the way they are reporting deaths is not accurate.

Florida has the fewest state employee per capita and they are 50th in average rate of pay. It often shows. Particularly when you get 3 hurricanes in the span of three months, need help with that, and you’ve got public health officials sitting on their couches at home. You do things like risk based expenditures. More money for hurricane preparedness and response and basically dismantle county health authorities going forward to help pay for that. It’s why Florida can be a model of hurricane response when the politics is kept out of it. But it’s also why their health department reporting is jacked and their unemployment website was under built without the capacity to deal with a depression using 2003 tech. But it’s also why nearly every school could teach online seamlessly at least for a month or two. And they already have the laws and regs on the books to handle election disruption

I don't believe testing and reporting in Florida is reliable enough to make any kind of assessment as to whether things are positive in Florida. They just had 33,000 tests in Florida deemed as unreliable. And the way they are reporting deaths is not accurate.

As lawpoke has said, the good thing about tracking hospitalizations is you don't have to worry about issues with testing or as much noise in the numbers. Plus they are reported closer to real time than tests or deaths. It could always change, and we should find out if it has in the next week or two, but the trends in Oklahoma, Texas, and Florida have all been good so far.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Homelessness is a huge issue in CA. I was in Oakland last October and it was horrible. Oakland is just an awful place to visit. Much of the problem is the over-inflated cost of living in CA. It's just absolutely ridiculous. Gas, food, rent....all way too high and probably artificially so.
And he wants the rest of us to foot the bill.

Last edited:
I've always thought the numbers they're using are just wrong because you have nothing to compare relatively. I've been a strong proponent of % of positive tests/day. This way if you test 100 or 300 you have a pretty good idea as to whether or not things are flattening or falling....of course your governor suspends all testing or decides tests not done in a state health dept. facility are not worth tracking (as in Florida). The hospital number is only valid if you'r trying to make sure the system doesn't get overwhelmed...it doesn't really work if you're trying to reduce the number of cases...unless we're treating this like our parents treated the chicken pox where they'd send you over to play with your sick friend just so you'd get it and they could be done with it and achieve the herd immunity. Problem is there is no strong evidence, for or against, that COVID is that type of virus or that herd immunity is possible for those that have had the virus.

Reactions: Bendman
I've always thought the numbers they're using are just wrong because you have nothing to compare relatively. I've been a strong proponent of % of positive tests/day. This way if you test 100 or 300 you have a pretty good idea as to whether or not things are flattening or falling....of course your governor suspends all testing or decides tests not done in a state health dept. facility are not worth tracking (as in Florida). The hospital number is only valid if you'r trying to make sure the system doesn't get overwhelmed...it doesn't really work if you're trying to reduce the number of cases...unless we're treating this like our parents treated the chicken pox where they'd send you over to play with your sick friend just so you'd get it and they could be done with it and achieve the herd immunity. Problem is there is no strong evidence, for or against, that COVID is that type of virus or that herd immunity is possible for those that have had the virus.

The problem I have with using % of positive tests as a metric is that the number of positives compared to overall tests should go down as testing numbers increase due to the fact that we are testing more asymptomatic subjects. I do understand the value in evaluating this number but caution against viewing a drop in positive percentages as an indicator of decreased infections due to the reasons I outlined above.

Reactions: Bendman

Great analysis, I tend to believe Oklahoma is doing better than you believe Oklahoma is but either way, you’re correct. Also, it’s clear at this point that it is only 1-3, maybe 5 strains at most that we need to worry about as being much more severe/deadly than the other strains of the virus.

I've always thought the numbers they're using are just wrong because you have nothing to compare relatively. I've been a strong proponent of % of positive tests/day. This way if you test 100 or 300 you have a pretty good idea as to whether or not things are flattening or falling....of course your governor suspends all testing or decides tests not done in a state health dept. facility are not worth tracking (as in Florida). The hospital number is only valid if you'r trying to make sure the system doesn't get overwhelmed...it doesn't really work if you're trying to reduce the number of cases...unless we're treating this like our parents treated the chicken pox where they'd send you over to play with your sick friend just so you'd get it and they could be done with it and achieve the herd immunity. Problem is there is no strong evidence, for or against, that COVID is that type of virus or that herd immunity is possible for those that have had the virus.[/QUOTE

Don’t forget that the numbers or cases or COVID & deaths from COVID have been & continue to be inflated.

Oklahoma's 7 day rolling average in new daily hospitalizations from the first day they started reporting them to now

average.png

Last edited:
Reactions: GoldenCaneKC
As lawpoke has said, the good thing about tracking hospitalizations is you don't have to worry about issues with testing or as much noise in the numbers. Plus they are reported closer to real time than tests or deaths. It could always change, and we should find out if it has in the next week or two, but the trends in Oklahoma, Texas, and Florida have all been good so far.
One problem with paying attention to that metric alone, is that it could be slow to show the effects. If there are greater #'s of asymptomatic people who are unnaffected, because those that are vulnerable are still protecting themselves despite the opening, then it will take more time for those who are asyptomatic to eventually infect the vulnerable. The vulnerable will come into contact with asymptomatic people it will just take a little longer.

Last edited:
One problem with paying attention to that metric alone, is that it could be slow to show the effects. If their are greater #'s of asymptomatic people who are unnaffected, because those that are vulnerable are still protecting themselves despite the opening, then it will take more time for those who are asyptomatic to eventually infect the vulnerable. The vulnerable will come into contact with asymptomatic people it will just take a little longer.

There's not much we're going to be able to do about asymptomatic people.

There's not much we're going to be able to do about asymptomatic people.
Of course, that's the conundrum. It's why staying closed helps limit the virus. It just stops the world from functioning and continuing to feed, cloth, and shelter itself. It brings forth the need to automate ourselves to the hilt, and have a basic income, way ahead of having the capablity to do that.

One problem with paying attention to that metric alone, is that it could be slow to show the effects. If their are greater #'s of asymptomatic people who are unnaffected, because those that are vulnerable are still protecting themselves despite the opening, then it will take more time for those who are asyptomatic to eventually infect the vulnerable. The vulnerable will come into contact with asymptomatic people it will just take a little longer.
If you believe Fauci there’s going to be a second wave anyway, so we might as well get it over with sooner than later. I’m not even going to get into the grammatical errors.

Certainly, we can at least applaud California for killing two birds with one stone by releasing prisoners & now actually closing some (including all juvenile) prisons altogether. That’s not just good for public health, it’s also good for their budget deficit! They were already releasing prisoners for public health reasons, anyway! Who cares about the rare of recidivism or the countless cases of these COVID releases that violently recidivated, in some cases committing murder??? AM I RIGHT?!

Dude, by the way - Bill & Melinda Gates are coming to the rescue! I thought you knew this. They may not be doctors but they certainly identify as doctors! That’s even better! They’re going to create a vaccine! It’s going to save you, that vaccine!

Obviously not a fan of the Blue Angels. Wonder what state he works in? Most states now have a surplus of PPE.

Lol he doesn’t mention that they have plenty of those. Of course, maybe he’s in California or wherever they run hospitals into the ground - I know of a couple here in Tulsa that have done that in the past - hell, one here that still is. He wants to talk about $$ per flight, well, they get ~$38,000 from the government per coronavirus death, a guaranteed ~$13,000-$15,000 per corona patient. If that’s not incentive to mislabel patients / even let them die, idk what is. Those jets would’ve been flying somewhere else anyway but instead they chose to honor y’all on the front lines of this silent war & make no mistake it’s important bc we are at war!

Obviously not a fan of the Blue Angels. Wonder what state he works in? Most states now have a surplus of PPE.
That’s the first question I had. If he’s in California I can understand. Washington state, New York, ok he has a point but those jets would’ve been flying anyway is my point. It’s not his fault nor the government’s fault (well, maybe previous administrations OBAMA COUGH) that his hospital was ill-prepared. The money spent on those flights does not touch what the military spends each day & they’re already using military funds for his & damned near every other hospital located in a densely/highly populated metropolitan statistical area.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT