ADVERTISEMENT

Cable vs. satellite

Henry Kendall

I.T.S. Athletic Director
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2003
So we've had cable forever. Thinking about switching to Dish Network, but I've got a couple of questions. Do they carry Fox Sports OK that occasionally shows TU? And how bad/common is the problem of rain fade, wind etc?

Your thoughts are welcome.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Kendall,

I have had Direct about 15 years ago, cable (TimeWarner and Comcast) at various times living in apartments between houses and Dish most of the rest of the time. Occasionally I do have reception issues during heavy rain. Wind has never caused me an issue. What I like best about Dish is the sports package. In both NJ and NC I can get the sports package that includes all (~12) of the regional (MSN, SW, Sunshine,MW, etc...) Fox channels (they only blackout a few local baseball or basketball games but not the national games). If one Fox regional is not carrying the TU game (or other event) I get it on another one. The sports package also includes CBS sports, NBC sports, Big10, Golf, Tennis, and the ESPN channels (ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPNU, ESPNews, etc...).

I don't know if Direct offers the entire Fox package but cable only offered three Fox channels (East, Central and West).

Hope this helps.

I have DirecTV and love it. I couldn't fathom ever being serviced by Cox again.

I have Dish and I'm a big sports fan.....if you are a OKC Thunder or Texas Rangers(like me), I don't think you'll miss a game........I'm happy.

FYI.....with Dish, you can work the system. I call them about once a year and act like I'm leaving them......after complaining about "no freebies" for the continued customers, they usually give me HBO/Movie channels for 3 months free or they'll freeze some item on my bill. I try to work the movie channel gig during the dog days of summer.

Thanks so much for the input. So I guess the weather related issues are not that commonplace. I'm digging that Hopper whole house DVR thing. Plus, I can now get The Blaze on Dish.....

Muskogee, that's just wrong, but a great idea......
nerd.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Henry Kendall:
Thanks so much for the input. So I guess the weather related issues are not that commonplace. I'm digging that Hopper whole house DVR thing. Plus, I can now get The Blaze on Dish.....

Muskogee, that's just wrong, but a great idea......
nerd.r191677.gif

Cox has the hopper and DirecTV sucks ass.

Not sure how people can claim they don't have reception issues during rain and snow as my 'top end' signal strength went to hell when there was heavy rain or snow to the SW of me or a large area of moderate rain or snow.

Not sure why people would say wind causes issues unless it has a ton of dust in it or the dish is loose and the wind misaligns it.

The sports packages rock.
All other features are more expensive than Cox except that first 6 months or year, and your locked in for 2-3 year. And, when there are severe storms to the SW (which is the directio
n most tornados come from) you lose signal, which means no 2, 6, 8, or 23.

Switching back to Cox was cheaper because we got their 6 month special then the price leveled off and we don't have purchased equipment to deal with nor do we have to pay an additional fee to warranty our cable boxes and DVR's.
Cool thing is with Cox, if you upgrade to all home DVR they come out, install it for $50, swap out all your hardware, and you're good to go.

If you had to do the same upgrade with satellite or dish you would have buy new cable boxes/DVR's and if you add TV's or DVR service you have might have to buy a new dish. If you start big, you're good until the next best thing comes along then you have to buy new hardware AND pay the subscription cost.

I don't know if the technology has changed, or you had a bad install, or what, but the only time I've lost my directv was an intense, intense, thunderstorm, one time so far. I guess your mileage may vary.

I have direcTV and love t as well. I get all the Fox channels, and can usually seeTU on over 10 cannelsa.
The only time Iose our signal is whith very heavy downpours.

Originally posted by Weatherdemon:

Cool thing is with Cox, if you upgrade to all home DVR they come out, install it for $50, swap out all your hardware, and you're good to go.

If you had to do the same upgrade with satellite or dish you would have buy new cable boxes/DVR's and if you add TV's or DVR service you have might have to buy a new dish. If you start big, you're good until the next best thing comes along then you have to buy new hardware AND pay the subscription cost.
I called Dish Network last year about HD DVR boxes. I just had the standard ones. They upgraded me to their HD package, for free, for life. They shipped me a new HD DVR box at no charge, and installed it at no charge. Pretty sweet.

I live just outside of Coweta city limits, and I rarely lose receptions. It has to be a really nasty storm with heavy rain, or a big pile of snow on the dish, which is easy to remove.

And yes, the sports packages are awesome. I get FOX Sports SW, as well as South, Northwest, Northeast and so on...plus PAC-12 Network, Big 10 Network and a bunch of other crap. It was $9.99 for the addon, but they gave it to me for $5.99.

With all that said, I'm trying to figure out the best way to go without cable or satellite. I'm thinking about Tivo maybe, but I'm looking at some good HD antennas and may just go over-the-air HD plus Netflix and Hulu Plus. That would only be $15.98 per month!!

I had same thing with Directv, I was upgraded to HD for free with all hardware and installation free also. Only time you get charged for it is if you change in your first year I believe. Also, with satellite the only time I have lost picture was during the infamous ice storm and only for about 3 hours then came back on only to go back out for 10 days due to no electricity. Then I lost it one more time for 45 mins about 2 years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT