ADVERTISEMENT

Bryce Thompson

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
Saw where Bryce was on campus this weekend. Tweeted out a pic with Shea and Coach Haith. Didn't realize he was as tall as he was (around 6'4"ish). Of course seeing the pic reminded me of the line from Fletch, "Fletch is 6'5", 6'9" with the afro"

Reactions: astonmartin708
Seems like a longshot given the fact that Self is involved, but man would that be a coup. Like the biggest one in Tulsa history.

I love that we're still involved!

Reactions: cmullinsTU
Fortunately for us, Bill will have his pick of two or three 5* guards in that class.

Bryce and his Dad were very popular with a lot of TU athletic staff. Lot of people stopping by for conversation, hugs, etc.

I'm thinking sometime in the lifetime of Bryce, Self must have committed a recruiting violation purchasing a meal or two for Bryce and family with the connection he has with dad.

The weird thing is, Self only coached Thompson during his senior season.
I wonder if North Carolina might get involved because Steve Robinson is there.

If you think Manning had no personality, lemme introduce you to Steve Robinson. He was most liked after he was gone. It was seriously the happiest this program had ever been. Let's not play random timeline association.

If you think Manning had no personality, lemme introduce you to Steve Robinson. He was most liked after he was gone. It was seriously the happiest this program had ever been. Let's not play random timeline association.
That's all well and good, but you don't stay at North Carolina for more than a decade unless you're bringing in talent for Roy Williams. I guess he may be a brick wall to talk to but recruits seem to like what he's pitching.

That's all well and good, but you don't stay at North Carolina for more than a decade unless you're bringing in talent for Roy Williams. I guess he may be a brick wall to talk to but recruits seem to like what he's pitching.

That doesn't really follow from your premise in your previous post. We celebrate all of the successful old coaches who came through here. You never hear about Robinson. There's a reason for that.

You weren't around back then. You say a lot of things that are baseless, but please try to focus on the time period that you actually followed the program.

There isn't much of a paper trail from back then, but I'd wager Tubby had as much or more to do with us signing Thompson. He, like Pooh, was from Beggs. He was a relatively late commit when Robinson came in.

Incidentally, Tubby is after Thompson. Pooh is handling the recruiting. I won't guess on if you even knew the Beggs connection or knew where Beggs was without Google.

Reactions: TU 1978
He was bringing in talent at TU too. He was a self described introvert and I saw that in the few times I had the opportunity to be in the same room whether it be talking logistics for his basketball camps and check-ins, or the late night breakfast deal.

The man knew his basketball and didn't destroy the program the two years he was here and kept the ball rolling for Self.

That doesn't really follow from your premise in your previous post. We celebrate all of the successful old coaches who came through here. You never hear about Robinson. There's a reason for that.

You weren't around back then. You say a lot of things that are baseless, but please try to focus on the time period that you actually followed the program.

There isn't much of a paper trail from back then, but I'd wager Tubby had as much or more to do with us signing Thompson. He, like Pooh, was from Beggs. He was a relatively late commit when Robinson came in.

Incidentally, Tubby is after Thompson. Pooh is handling the recruiting. I won't guess on if you even knew the Beggs connection or knew where Beggs was without Google.
What has happened to the Beggs pipeline of talent BTW? You always heard Pooh and Rod talk about how if you were able to play in the nightly games at the park then you were a big time baller. That's where they said the toughness and resilience were developed because those games had no refs and touch fouls weren't a thing.

My hope is there is a legacy connection Bryce feels. Rod still loves TU. Bryce is the type of player that could surpass Shea's career scoring mark (he's a much better shooter form wise than Shea was).

What has happened to the Beggs pipeline of talent BTW? You always heard Pooh and Rod talk about how if you were able to play in the nightly games at the park then you were a big time baller. That's where they said the toughness and resilience were developed because those games had no refs and touch fouls weren't a thing.

My hope is there is a legacy connection Bryce feels. Rod still loves TU. Bryce is the type of player that could surpass Shea's career scoring mark (he's a much better shooter form wise than Shea was).

It's a really small town. I have some good friends from there. Demographics suggest three aren't going to produce a ton of D1 players. We had two basketball players from there and maybe a couple of football players over the years.

T

Yeah Tubby and Pooh were the reason he came to Tulsa. Robinson was just a placeholder for TU that he went ahead and played for because he was here. Tubby was the one that got the commit. We were just lucky Robinson got another job as quick as he did, the longer Robinson's lack of personality hung around the faster I think the program would have gone down.

Reactions: Tulsafanzz
Rod played on the 1993 Tulsa Hawks summer team with teammate Jerome Vaden, Shawn Williams,R.W. McQuarters, Marshall Gordon, and Odell Stokes. He spent a year at NEO and transferred to TU. You could never be around any better kids than the ones from Beggs. Bryce would certainly re-ignite the Tulsa area fans who have been looking to sign and keep local favorites.

I also think back then AAU ball and recruiting as a whole was cleaner. Now I suspect any good prospects from Beggs end up at Jenks or Union or somewhere in Dallas. So much of this process has turned into a 24/7 job by the eighth grade.

I'm sure it happened, but there also wasn't as much press coverage that created the likes of Conley Clarke, either.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
Around 1995-1996 it started getting worse with the shoe companies getting deeply involved. Before that it was just a few AAU bad apple coaches who tried to control their elite players. And before that the college coaches would "bump" into recruits at McDonalds, church, etc. You would see 5 college coaches at a Baptist Church . And before that when there was one signing day, the good players would "go missing" a couple of days before appearing with a coach on signing day. It has always been crooked.

In 1983 there was no AAU team in Tulsa. Waymon Tisdale and Arthur Thomas had to go to Oklahoma City to play with Johnnie Williams' Rams team. The Tulsa Hawks and OKC Rams had classic meetings for 10-15 years with both teams winning multiple Summer National Championships. Texas kids couldn't even play in the summer and Oklahoma kids could not play until school was out. Oklahoma basketball talent was and still is very good.

Reactions: ctt8410 and Gold*
That's all well and good, but you don't stay at North Carolina for more than a
decade unless you're bringing in talent for Roy Williams. I guess he may be
a brick wall to talk to but recruits seem to like what he's pitching.

Recruiting to a great part of the country, to a decent school and a noted BB
program, with the option to sign up for classes that don't meet? My Goodness...
You could do that using braille....

I agree with Gold*...He was a weak coach....His offense was mainly passing
the ball around, and let Shea take some shot at the clock.....I thought he
really arrested Shea's development as a player....

Recruiting to a great part of the country, to a decent school and a noted BB
program, with the option to sign up for classes that don't meet? My Goodness...
You could do that using braille....

I agree with Gold*...He was a weak coach....His offense was mainly passing
the ball around, and let Shea take some shot at the clock.....I thought he
really arrested Shea's development as a player....
I didn't argue that he was a great coach. I didn't even say he is a good recruiter. Just that he was Thompson's head coach for 2 years and 2 NCAA tournament runs . It's obvious that Thompson likes Self, but unless Thompson just loathed Robinson (which there isn't any evidence of) I wouldn't find it odd for NC to go after Thompson's son.

They can go after anybody they want, with about as much luck. Robinson won't be a draw, he will be a very minor negative point, but the furthest from a positive as you can get.

Around 1995-1996 it started getting worse with the shoe companies getting deeply involved. Before that it was just a few AAU bad apple coaches who tried to control their elite players. And before that the college coaches would "bump" into recruits at McDonalds, church, etc. You would see 5 college coaches at a Baptist Church . And before that when there was one signing day, the good players would "go missing" a couple of days before appearing with a coach on signing day. It has always been crooked.

In 1983 there was no AAU team in Tulsa. Waymon Tisdale and Arthur Thomas had to go to Oklahoma City to play with Johnnie Williams' Rams team. The Tulsa Hawks and OKC Rams had classic meetings for 10-15 years with both teams winning multiple Summer National Championships. Texas kids couldn't even play in the summer and Oklahoma kids could not play until school was out. Oklahoma basketball talent was and still is very good.

Anyone that tells you corruption has never existed is either totally naive or just functionally retarded.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT