ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl games thread

I haven’t followed LSU at all bc I can’t stand them, but something seems very fishy about Ed Orgeron. Dude has had all kinds of personal problems as I recall, has never been a winning coach, and all of the sudden he’s built a juggernaut? Hmmmmm

All kinds of personal problems? 28 years ago he got in trouble with the law and had some trouble with alcohol and cleaned his life up.

Never been a winning coach? He didn't do well with Ole Miss but he was 6-2 as the interim at USC after Kiffin was fired and has now gone 6-2, 9-4, 10-3 and 13-0 at LSU. I would say that he has learned some lessons in life and in football.

All kinds of personal problems? 28 years ago he got in trouble with the law and had some trouble with alcohol and cleaned his life up.

Never been a winning coach? He didn't do well with Ole Miss but he was 6-2 as the interim at USC after Kiffin was fired and has now gone 6-2, 9-4, 10-3 and 13-0 at LSU. I would say that he has learned some lessons in life and in football.

My point was, he wasn’t the first choice at Ole Miss, nor at LSU. Both schools got turned down by their first choice. The rest, I’ll let you decide:

Ole Miss was leading Mississippi State 14-0 in its season finale in 2007 and facing a 4th-and-1 at midfield. Orgeron made the call to go for it. The Bulldogs stopped the Rebels, seized the momentum, scored, and won the game.

Orgeron lost his job.

During his first meeting with the Ole Miss football team in 2005 Orgeron ripped off his shirt and challenged Rebel players to a wrestling match.

Orgeron was hooked on Red Bull energy drinks at Ole Miss, known for slugging them one after another while behaving erratically. Not a lot has changed.

Orgeron would march through the hallways of the Ole Miss football offices at 7 a.m. banging loudly on a bass drum strapped to his chest, rattling assistant coaches in their own offices trying to work.

Orgeron required everyone at a Rebel football practice, including assistant coaches and trainers, to dive on a fumbled ball. “One pile ended with a dislocated shoulder for an assistant coach.”

When Ole Miss played Wake Forest in 2006 the game was stopped for a lightning delay. Orgeron put the Rebels through a full-contact scrimmage, exhausting the team. When the game resume Wake Forest ran the ball 53 of 58 plays and beat the worn-out Rebels 27-3.

Orgeron devised a contrived offense at Ole Miss, combing parts zone-blocking with USC’s two-back system and Noel Mazzone’s passing offense. It. Did. Not. Work.

Orgeron tried to fight sports writer Steven Godfrey.

There are plenty of other notable Coach O moments, including a few bar fights before he got to Ole Miss. In 1984, for instance, Orgeron, was arrested on a battery charge resulting from a bar fight in Natchitoches.

In 1991 “a Dade County (Florida) woman was granted a restraining order against Orgeron after accusing him of repeated violence.”

In 1992, Orgeron was “arrested in Baton Rouge and charged with battery, failure to leave the premises and misrepresentation during booking. According to news accounts from the time, a “drunk Orgeron head-butted the manager of a bar” after being asked to leave.

My point was, he wasn’t the first choice at Ole Miss, nor at LSU. Both schools got turned down by their first choice. The rest, I’ll let you decide:

Ole Miss was leading Mississippi State 14-0 in its season finale in 2007 and facing a 4th-and-1 at midfield. Orgeron made the call to go for it. The Bulldogs stopped the Rebels, seized the momentum, scored, and won the game.

Orgeron lost his job.

During his first meeting with the Ole Miss football team in 2005 Orgeron ripped off his shirt and challenged Rebel players to a wrestling match.

Orgeron was hooked on Red Bull energy drinks at Ole Miss, known for slugging them one after another while behaving erratically. Not a lot has changed.

Orgeron would march through the hallways of the Ole Miss football offices at 7 a.m. banging loudly on a bass drum strapped to his chest, rattling assistant coaches in their own offices trying to work.

Orgeron required everyone at a Rebel football practice, including assistant coaches and trainers, to dive on a fumbled ball. “One pile ended with a dislocated shoulder for an assistant coach.”

When Ole Miss played Wake Forest in 2006 the game was stopped for a lightning delay. Orgeron put the Rebels through a full-contact scrimmage, exhausting the team. When the game resume Wake Forest ran the ball 53 of 58 plays and beat the worn-out Rebels 27-3.

Orgeron devised a contrived offense at Ole Miss, combing parts zone-blocking with USC’s two-back system and Noel Mazzone’s passing offense. It. Did. Not. Work.

Orgeron tried to fight sports writer Steven Godfrey.

There are plenty of other notable Coach O moments, including a few bar fights before he got to Ole Miss. In 1984, for instance, Orgeron, was arrested on a battery charge resulting from a bar fight in Natchitoches.

In 1991 “a Dade County (Florida) woman was granted a restraining order against Orgeron after accusing him of repeated violence.”

In 1992, Orgeron was “arrested in Baton Rouge and charged with battery, failure to leave the premises and misrepresentation during booking. According to news accounts from the time, a “drunk Orgeron head-butted the manager of a bar” after being asked to leave.
All of those we're over a decade ago, idk him personally but someone can definitely change and clean their life up. Do I think he is a crazy Cajun? Yes I do! Do I think he is a bad guy? I have no idea

Reactions: jerandlaur
We all deserve a second chance, not saying that. And glad he has made the most of it. My original point was just that he has a troubled history, didn’t have a stellar resume to be where he finds himself now. It wasn’t like, say, when Ohio State hired Urban Meyer...a no-brainer. Guess Orgeron is a tireless recruiter.

Last edited:
Reactions: TULSARISING
We all deserve a second chance, not saying that. And glad he has made the most of it. My original point was just that he has a troubled history, didn’t have a stellar resume to be where he finds himself now. It wasn’t like, say, when Ohio State hired Urban Meyer...a no-brainer. Guess Orgeron is a tireless recruiter.
He is definitely alot more entertaining than Urban!

Reactions: HuffyCane
Fiesta Bowl was one of the best bowl games and certainly one of the best CFP games since the playoff was started. 2 really good teams, lots of playmakers on both sides, and a ton of clutch plays when they needed to be made.

Refereeing sucked though.

All of those we're over a decade ago, idk him personally but someone can definitely change and clean their life up. Do I think he is a crazy Cajun? Yes I do! Do I think he is a bad guy? I have no idea
There was an article on ESPN I think about how Orgeron has learned a lot of lessons and changed in ways that allowed this year's success. Don't know more than that but this is a topic of conversation.

Can we take a moment to reflect on what monumental pieces of $hirt Ohio St. fans are? They're practically in revolt and threatening the referees because they had 2 reviews go against them. They're not saying the calls were wrong - but rather just that it's wrong both went against them. They believe they should get half the reviews even if that means plays have to be called wrong. That's entitlement for you - you demand the calls even when that means the calls have to be wrong.

Reactions: TULSARISING
I was watching the Liberty Bowl and Sun Bowl today, switching back and forth at stoppages, and i was shocked at the difference in production quality between ESPN and CBS. I don’t know whether it’s because ESPN broadcasts so many bowls and therefore their coverage is diluted or CBS just has better equipment, better cameramen and directors, and better talent but the difference is amazing. Even my wife, who never watches football, commented about how much better the quality was on CBS.

It’s been fun watching Navy run right past Kansas State. Kansas State defense looks slow and confused.

Navy kicks a field goal at the end to win it. They go from 3-10 last year to 11-2 this year.

I’m in Cali for tomorrow’s Rose Parade. I’ve seen thousands of fans from Oregon and about 10 from Wisconsin. I though the Big 10 travelled better.

I always felt utah was a pretender this year, and way too highly ranked. Texas just proved it.

In the same way that OU proved they were way too highly ranked when LSU embarrassed them. And now Jerry Jones is considering Lincoln Riley to replace Jason Garrett.

In the same way that OU proved they were way too highly ranked when LSU embarrassed them. And now Jerry Jones is considering Lincoln Riley to replace Jason Garrett.
Jerry does some really dumbest things.

Gus Malzahn is about to lose some of the goodwill he got by beating 'Bama. Stop wasting a down running up the middle. 6 minutes left. If you are still in striking distance keep the ball in the air.

From what I expected out of Matt Rhule, from past accomplishments and how that would work at Baylor,(especially considering the mess it was left in by Briles and the NCAA penalties) I'm pretty impressed by Rhule. I discounted what he could do being from the East, with his recruiting ties not being from the state of Texas. A defensive background didn't seem to translate to Baylor either.

Reactions: Henry Kendall
From what I expected out of Matt Rhule, from past accomplishments and how that would work at Baylor,(especially considering the mess it was left in by Briles and the NCAA penalties) I'm pretty impressed by Rhule. I discounted what he could do being from the East, with his recruiting ties not being from the state of Texas. A defensive background didn't seem to translate to Baylor either.
Little confused by the "defensive background didn't seem to translate" comment. Baylor's defense was pretty damn stout this year against everyone except OU. I think Rhule is one of those college coaches whose style would actually work well in the NFL. I think Saban would be able to go back and succeed in the NFL now. I'm not buying Lincoln Riley just yet or even Urban Meyer to be honest.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT