ADVERTISEMENT

Boaty McBoatface

As I always say, "Don't ask a question if you don't want the answer."

The naming idea was a stunt to show how important the new project was. An attention grabber that would heap glory on the new ship. It back fired. Actually, it has little or nothing to do with democracy and it is a stretch to write an article about it.

There are hundreds of ships of the UK flying the Union Jack. They do not require a naming contest. The naming process was a waste of time and now the Atlantic Monthly has wasted time and print on a bureaucrat getting his pride hurt.

As I always say, "Don't ask a question if you don't want the answer."

The naming process was a waste of time and now the Atlantic Monthly has wasted time and print on a bureaucrat getting his pride hurt.

Actually the Atlantic article only used the McBoatface example to introduce a discussion about the the tenuous relationship between voters' views and the policies enacted by their elected representatives. A situation that Trump/Sanders are capitalizing on.

While Science Minister Jo Johnson wasn't amused, neither were voters ask to provide an inspiring name for a ship to study ice melting. Therefore, the Monthly decided democracy has its drawbacks. Sometimes the ignorant masses don't respond the way ministers want them to.

While Science Minister Jo Johnson wasn't amused, neither were voters ask to provide an inspiring name for a ship to study ice melting. Therefore, the Monthly decided democracy has its drawbacks. Sometimes the ignorant masses don't respond the way ministers want them to.
Yes comrade. Sometimes the people just don't know what's good for them. *read in a stereotypical Rusky accent*

If we voted online for elected officials I imagine Prince would win with write-in votes. That's what the internet does, so it's not really a meaningful comparison.

I'm quite disappointed they won't be using the name. Failed "stunt" is a great way to put it, and the interwebs hands that to people/organizations all the time.

If we voted online for elected officials I imagine Prince would win with write-in votes. That's what the internet does, so it's not really a meaningful comparison.

I'm quite disappointed they won't be using the name. Failed "stunt" is a great way to put it, and the interwebs hands that to people/organizations all the time.
My vote Doug Wojcik. He could install some discipline in congress... granted, the Senate may never get to the NCAA's.

Reactions: WATU2
My vote was for the "Victory" but Lord Nelson already used that for his flagship at Trafalgar. It would be a good name because the ship will help save the planet. Boaty McBoatface works well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT