ADVERTISEMENT

Bixby

Which one of these guys earn a scholarship from the University of Tulsa? These players have offers some more than one DI offers. TU havent offer these players in our backyard scholarships. We can redshirt players and a good weight program these guys can contribute next season.

OT Brody Duffel 6’4 250
WR Kordell Gouldsby 5’11 170 4.5
LB Sam McCormick 6’4 180 4.5
DT Kason Hatley 6’0 295
DE/OG Payton Hawkins 6’3 260
OT Evan McClure 6’4 250

Which one of these guys earn a scholarship from the University of Tulsa? These players have offers some more than one DI offers. TU havent offer these players in our backyard scholarships. We can redshirt players and a good weight program these guys can contribute next season.

OT Brody Duffel 6’4 250
DT Kason Hatley 6’0 295
OT Evan McClure 6’4 250

We were recruiting Brody Duffel toward the end of the recruiting period late last year. I don't think we ever made him an offer. We were considering it and didn't, but I don't know if it was because of academics or playing ability, or both.

Reactions: Rjjackson4
So McCormick is intriguing as a LB prospect mostly because of his length and speed. I'm sure he could probably add 30-40lbs that would make him more durable and stronger in college football and not lose too much of that speed. I do remember we brought in a tall lanky guy a few years back that played primarily QB and S for his little 1A school in rural OK. I think he's in the NFL now.

The other one is Hawkins who we should probably keep an eye on. His dad played LB at TU. Peyton's a good kid too and in the Bixby games I saw this year, he was a ball of terror on the DL. Quick feet.

We were recruiting Brody Duffel toward the end of the recruiting period late last year. I don't think we ever made him an offer. We were considering it and didn't, but I don't know if it was because of academics or playing ability, or both.
La Tech think he has ability. He doesn't have the size and weight as other TU linemen.

So McCormick is intriguing as a LB prospect mostly because of his length and speed. I'm sure he could probably add 30-40lbs that would make him more durable and stronger in college football and not lose too much of that speed. I do remember we brought in a tall lanky guy a few years back that played primarily QB and S for his little 1A school in rural OK. I think he's in the NFL now.

The other one is Hawkins who we should probably keep an eye on. His dad played LB at TU. Peyton's a good kid too and in the Bixby games I saw this year, he was a ball of terror on the DL. Quick feet.
McCormick has good size and weight. If they trust their weight program, add weight will not be an issue. We had a play Gibson who play for the Chicago Bears came to Tulsa 6'5 205. He was playing the following year at 225. He left TU around 265. So adding weight is not the problem believing in the weight program is the problem.

McCormick has good size and weight. If they trust their weight program, add weight will not be an issue. We had a play Gibson who play for the Chicago Bears came to Tulsa 6'5 205. He was playing the following year at 225. He left TU around 265. So adding weight is not the problem believing in the weight program is the problem.
As Huffycane mentions frequently, we have one of the best strength and conditioning programs in the country. You mention Gibson. Zaven Collins came in at like 210 or something like that and left at 250 lbs w/o sacrificing the speed.

I'm more willing for Wilson to take chances on kids like McCormick. HS OL, if they're not already carrying the weight, it's going to be hard to get them up to a normally college OL playing weight of 290-310, stay there, AND maintain strength and agility. Of course, interior lineman on both sides of the ball should learn the art of sumo and we seriously should bring a sumo instructor in to work with these guys to learn how to use their weight and leverage to manipulate the guy opposite them. Our OL seems to open up holes just fine on 1st and 2 or 2nd and 7, but trying to gain that 1 tough yard on 3rd or 4th and 1 has been a problem for many years. We always thought we needed to get a 250lb RB to move the pile but that never seemed to work consistently. The other problem is Monty NEVER had his QBs learn how to take a snap under center. It ****ing killed me watching us take knees 4 yds behind the LOS b/c our QBs were incapable of taking the snap under center. This is also the issue on gaining that 1 yd. I mean we all see how effective the Brotherly Shove works in gaining that tough yard. I don't think I've seen Philly stopped on that play this year. Tom Brady was almost 100% with his QB sneaks on 4th and 1 or less. It doesn't work from the shotgun though. Even if you have to put Braxton in there to run the play from under center, it's a play that has to be in your offensive repertoire. But our OL needs to be stronger and better at getting low and some push in these situations as well. We can have the biggest guys out there but guess what, we still don't get good push. I don't think it's a lack of strength and I don't think it's a lack of heft....it's a lack of technique. And it might be the blocking technique and strategy employed by Monty's offense that was the real culprit. I want to see more G and T counter pulls on running plays. This zone blocking crap on runs is too easy to beat or draw a penalty on.

As Huffycane mentions frequently, we have one of the best strength and conditioning programs in the country. You mention Gibson. Zaven Collins came in at like 210 or something like that and left at 250 lbs w/o sacrificing the speed.

I'm more willing for Wilson to take chances on kids like McCormick. HS OL, if they're not already carrying the weight, it's going to be hard to get them up to a normally college OL playing weight of 290-310, stay there, AND maintain strength and agility. Of course, interior lineman on both sides of the ball should learn the art of sumo and we seriously should bring a sumo instructor in to work with these guys to learn how to use their weight and leverage to manipulate the guy opposite them. Our OL seems to open up holes just fine on 1st and 2 or 2nd and 7, but trying to gain that 1 tough yard on 3rd or 4th and 1 has been a problem for many years. We always thought we needed to get a 250lb RB to move the pile but that never seemed to work consistently. The other problem is Monty NEVER had his QBs learn how to take a snap under center. It ****ing killed me watching us take knees 4 yds behind the LOS b/c our QBs were incapable of taking the snap under center. This is also the issue on gaining that 1 yd. I mean we all see how effective the Brotherly Shove works in gaining that tough yard. I don't think I've seen Philly stopped on that play this year. Tom Brady was almost 100% with his QB sneaks on 4th and 1 or less. It doesn't work from the shotgun though. Even if you have to put Braxton in there to run the play from under center, it's a play that has to be in your offensive repertoire. But our OL needs to be stronger and better at getting low and some push in these situations as well. We can have the biggest guys out there but guess what, we still don't get good push. I don't think it's a lack of strength and I don't think it's a lack of heft....it's a lack of technique. And it might be the blocking technique and strategy employed by Monty's offense that was the real culprit. I want to see more G and T counter pulls on running plays. This zone blocking crap on runs is too easy to beat or draw a penalty on.
I have seen recruits go to major programs at 6'4 or 6'5 260 lbs. Those recruits are being redshirt to add strength and weight. Most linemen are around 290 to 320. I believe the OL and DL weight in college has nothing to do with recruiting but his footwork has to be excellent. I have watched most of TU games never seen counters or pulling linemen. These kids from Bixby can pull and block in space. Why they not bring consider for scholarship?

Reactions: TU_BLA
These guys aren't freshman and these guys have been in a college program for a few years. They don't have time to put on the weight on over a couple of years. It's not so easy to do, when you need to do it immediately. Duffel and Mclure would need to put on a quick 25 or 30lbs, and still both be on the small side this year, to play on the OL. That's possible but not easy by any means. We have a ton of OL we are recruiting. They would have to be work the risk.

My concern is that we still haven't identified many DT to recruit. I think we might consider it, if one of them was a DT. We still need 4 or 5 DT's

Speaking of that. Several people, myself included, have been wondering why we didn't hear anything from KW about Newhouse nor did we see him play. I don't know how he came back from that injury early last year, but he is over 300 lbs now. He has a body that is a DT frame, not a DE. Especially in light of the situation we are in. I wonder if KW will give him a shot at DT. He had a very promising freshman year.

I rewatched our last game and Newhouse played some in that last game I wonder why he didn’t play more. He looked like he was getting in the backfield. I looked at box score and it shows he had one tackle in that game

Last edited:
Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I rewatched our last game and Newhouse played some in that last game I wonder why he didn’t play more. He looked like he was getting in the backfield. I looked at box score and it shows he had one tackle in that game
I wasn't paying attention to that in the last game. Thank you for pointing that out. Maybe he wasn't recovered from the injury at the start of the season, and Wilson/Newsome decided to let him redshirt. '21 Freshman year he played, '22 he was out with injury, '23 he redshirted. That means he still has 3 years of eligibility!!!

These guys aren't freshman and these guys have been in a college program for a few years. They don't have time to put on the weight on over a couple of years. It's not so easy to do, when you need to do it immediately. Duffel and Mclure would need to put on a quick 25 or 30lbs, and still both be on the small side this year, to play on the OL. That's possible but not easy by any means. We have a ton of OL we are recruiting. They would have to be work the risk.

My concern is that we still haven't identified many DT to recruit. I think we might consider it, if one of them was a DT. We still need 4 or 5 DT's

Speaking of that. Several people, myself included, have been wondering why we didn't hear anything from KW about Newhouse nor did we see him play. I don't know how he came back from that injury early last year, but he is over 300 lbs now. He has a body that is a DT frame, not a DE. Especially in light of the situation we are in. I wonder if KW will give him a shot at DT. He had a very promising freshman year.

I believe our current Offensive Linemen are returning next year but we need an upgrade. The portal can provide starters for the next year or two. At this time, incoming freshmen or high school players who lack weight such as Duffel, McCormick, Hawkins and McClure could redshirt and put on 30 to 40 pounds in a year. It can be done because I have seen with my own eyes players add as much as 35 pounds in 5 months. The Strength and Condition Coach would be the person responsible and monitoring the progress of these players. Having a Tackle and Guards at 290 pounds going into a redshirt freshmen year would be ideal for getting playing time. During the season those players can add an additional 10 pounds.

The same came can be said about Defense Linemen and LBers. Players like Sam McCormick OLB at 6'4 180 run a 4.5 can add an additional 30 pounds in 5 months, He can go into the offseason 6'4 200lbs and leave for summer break and return for the 2025 season at 6'4 215. He ready to contribute to the team as a backup or starter.

He was playing DT. Big guy probably 300 pounder but could move. He didn’t play long and I don’t know why.

He was playing DT. Big guy probably 300 pounder but could move. He didn’t play long and I don’t know why.
Yeah, the roster has him at 301. Well that gives us some relief from Simon & Rogers moving on. I hope Rich comes back from his injury well, and is a go to guy next year. Both of those things would make me feel better about not having to pull in as many first string guys at DT. I'm thinking we don't need but 4 replacements at DT, and the 5th guy won't be as necessary.

OT Brody Duffel 6’4 250
DT Kason Hatley 6’0 295
OT Evan McClure 6’4 250
I think Gouldsby would be a good get if he can keep up with academics. He played QB at Holland Hall and WR and CB at Bixby. He's an awesome return guy. Switching positions from Holland Hall to Bixby also tells me he's coachable. I may be biased, but I'm thinking that recruiting from Bixby is a smart thing for Wilson to do.

Reactions: Rjjackson4
Holland Hall has some of the strongest academics in the whole state, why would academics now be a problem?

It's OK. He is a great HS football coach. He's a really good person. He's got to be pushing 70 years old if not older. He deserves to retire in peace and spend some more time with his grandkids.

He’s 66. He came to town in 2017 with the expectation of staying for 4 years which would have him fully vested in the state teacher’s retirement program. He seemed to be enjoying himself and stayed on a little longer than planned.

Reactions: TU1NNJ and TU_BLA
He’s 66. He came to town in 2017 with the expectation of staying for 4 years which would have him fully vested in the state teacher’s retirement program. He seemed to be enjoying himself and stayed on a little longer than planned.
It helped that one of those years he had one of the all time great teams and won a state championship. Perfect storm of great athletes coming through and hitting their HS peaks at the same time.

He's 65 till this Tuesday. 😁

It helped that one of those years he had one of the all time great teams and won a state championship. Perfect storm of great athletes coming through and hitting their HS peaks at the same time.

Yes, I watched a bunch of those guys play together all the way back to first grade. A few key move-ins came in 7th grade and they were ready for business. By high school they just needed a coach who would put the best 11 on the field and not care who their parents were, who their older brothers were, etc.

The 2019 team went undefeated, but that 2017 group was much better and still has a few playing their final year in D1.

My wife taught at Kiefer elementary in early 90's.
She had a Senior year student assistant one year. He was a running back, good enough to play Jr College football in Kansas for two years and two years at Cincinnati. I remember we played Cincinnati here one year when he was playing for Cincinnati.
Met him a few times. Very nice person.

Last edited:
Reactions: crow4435 and TU1NNJ
Holland Hall has some of the strongest academics in the whole state, why would academics now be a problem?
I only threw that out as a possible explanation for no significant offers. I hope that's not the case and TU makes an offer.

Bixby! Owasso! Why aren’t we discussing Kiefer?
i remember back in the day when Keifer had a long losing streak going. i begged our coach to get a game with them but he said he couldn't. we were both Class A then

Bixby! Owasso! Why aren’t we discussing Kiefer?
They are still hiding in shame after kicking to the OU commit from millwood and letting him return a kickoff back with no time left ending their chance at a state title

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT