ADVERTISEMENT

Big Al and Pat

rabidhurricanefan

I.T.S. Senior
Jan 8, 2007
Listening to Big Al and Pat jones. They are going on about how bad a job the TU job is. Acting like we cant cpmeter in the AAC. Have they frogoten that we were beating these teams two years ago. Are they so close to Bill that all they can do is bash TU?

Their audience of eight listeners is too busy filling out unemoyment applications and preparing for the exciting preBedlam press conferences to care.

Big Al has 0 credibility. Remember all the candidates he came up with during the basketball coaching search? It's like he threw darts at pictures on a wall...
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Poplin posted something on Twitter about following Kelly Hines' timeline very closely today....followed up with a tweet about how Gragg kept everyone off balance and caught us by surprise with the Haith hire. To me that seems to indicate TU may already know who its primary target is and is negotiating to finish it soon. We'll see.

These guys are the Rush Limbaugh of sports entertainment, except without the brains. Still, the complete contradiction of their statements by the facts is stunning. Goes to show that as long as you're telling people what they want to hear, it absolutely doesn't matter at all what the facts are.

I can't stand their take on creating a lower division for TU. Last week they compared the situation to Bixby going into 6A Div.II. They don't realize that putting TU and other G5 schools in a lower division will destroy decades and decades of tradition. Dozens of schools would dump football.

Originally posted by TulsaFanForever:
I can't stand their take on creating a lower division for TU. Last week they compared the situation to Bixby going into 6A Div.II. They don't realize that putting TU and other G5 schools in a lower division will destroy decades and decades of tradition. Dozens of schools would dump football.
it's happening with or without the smaller schools carving out a lower division for themselves. the power 5 schools will just carve out an upper division for themselves and leave the rest of us wanting. college football as we know it is in its death throes.

I've seen Big Al at more TU basketball games the past 2 years than in the previous 6 years combined. He can go away for all I care. His rants that TU is basically an also ran in everything...go back to New York and train horses, then we can talk about also rans.

Actually they're being realists. Plank is not there today. Don King started by saying BB was a great guy but in the end he couldn't get it done.

New point, first verbal commitment backed out. Safety from Spiro has "re-opened" his recruitment. Too bad as I saw him being a Dexter McCoil type of big physical safety.

Originally posted by TU_BLA:
Actually they're being realists. Plank is not there today. Don King started by saying BB was a great guy but in the end he couldn't get it done.

New point, first verbal commitment backed out. Safety from Spiro has "re-opened" his recruitment. Too bad as I saw him being a Dexter McCoil type of big physical safety.
Isn't Spiro BB's home town. The recruit might be a long family friend. Just guessing.

GO TU!!!

Originally posted by rabidhurricanefan:
Listening to Big Al and Pat jones. They are going on about how bad a job the TU job is. Acting like we cant cpmeter in the AAC. Have they frogoten that we were beating these teams two years ago. Are they so close to Bill that all they can do is bash TU?

I didn't really take it as "bashing" TU... I thought there was a lot of truth in their conversation. The college football landscape has changed drastically the last few years and TU needs to decide if they're on board or not. Their argument is that TU is not on board and should get used to losing because of it.... I think the hiring of our next coach will really say a lot about the path the university is taking and if Pat and Al are correct.
This post was edited on 12/1 3:24 PM by Chazz Reinhold48

Originally posted by Chazz Reinhold48:

I didn't really take it as "bashing" TU... I thought there was a lot of truth in their conversation. The college football landscape has changed drastically the last few years and TU needs to decide if they're on board or not. They're argument is that they're not on board and should get used to losing.... I think the hiring of our next coach will really say a lot about the path the university is taking and if Pat and Al are correct.
Chazz, you nailed it. If TU wants to compete in the AAC, there has to be adjustments/allowances made academically.

Chazz, you nailed it. If TU wants to compete in the AAC, there has to be adjustments/allowances made academically.
According to Dr. Gragg's press conference (via Kelly Hines) :

"We cannot do anything to comprise our academic standards. ... We have to work within the framework we have set up here."

So, at least publicly, the next coach has to find recruits that meet the admissions standards and can complete the classwork at TU. We'll see how this works out.

I didn't really take it as "bashing" TU... I thought there was a lot of truth in their conversation. The college football landscape has changed drastically the last few years and TU needs to decide if they're on board or not. They're argument is that they're not on board and should get used to losing.... I think the hiring of our next coach will really say a lot about the path the university is taking and if Pat and Al are correct.
I think a lot of it is the "piling on" they do. Its OK to be a little critical from time to time, but entirely innappropriate to kick someone in the groin when they are down - they are relentless in their TU bashing. Jones is best known for his comment about the dressing room being smelly when he was coach and Big All just jumps on whatever bandwagon he can physically climb aboard on. I've often wondered what they'd think if some fans would pass around flyers asking all TU folks to stop listening to them or watching their programs. I'm sure they think TU doesn't matter, but a lot of fans in general just want to hear something other than the same regurgitation of the OU/OSU quarterback controversy.

Our sports media in this town sucks IMO.

This post was edited on 12/1 4:10 PM by rabidTU

According to Dr. Gragg's press conference (via Kelly Hines) :

"We cannot do anything to comprise our academic standards. ... We have to work within the framework we have set up here."

So, at least publicly, the next coach has to find recruits that meet the admissions standards and can complete the classwork at TU. We'll see how this works out.
TCU maintained their academic reputation through their rise to football success and Baylor Medical still has a high national reputation after their last few years of rising the football ranks. Even Duke is not a bottom feeder anymore and they have a national reputation for academic excellence. So it can be done with the right people in control of the process.

I feel it is down to Butch Davis, the TCU OC and the Baylor OC. If price range plays a part in the decision, that will only bolster the position of those who questions the universities commitment to football (as I do).

Originally posted by Uncle Mo:

So you are saying that football players for a school shouldn't have to meet the academic requirements that other students have to meet?

We need to see what TCU does in this regard for its athletes and model after them. They're ranked higher than us academically in national rankings, a private university, and successful in athletics.

Originally posted by cmullinsTU:
We need to see what TCU does in this regard for its athletes and model after them. They're ranked higher than us academically in national rankings, a private university, and successful in athletics.
+1 (Definitely don't want to follow the SMU model)

Originally posted by cmullinsTU:

Great answer to the question.

Originally posted by TUMe:

Originally posted by Uncle Mo:

So you are saying that football players for a school shouldn't have to meet the academic requirements that other students have to meet?
What academic requirements are you talking about?...In order to get accepted into school or having a major that would allow them to stay afloat?

I do like the TCU example, minus the fact that they have more than double the enrollment. They have a solid reputation across the country for academics but still manage to have a general studies degree that allows athletes to stay eligible. This is something that we lost whenever the school decided to take away Organizational Studies, which TG implemented to help players stay eligible.

Getting academic advisers for the football team would go a long way towards preventing players from failing out. They do get advised by regular university advisers, but not the type of academic advice a freshman who has very little free time during fall should get. As a result some players end up in a very difficult position in their first semester. This is one thing i think the next staff might be able to convince the admin to give them, and it's something that's not an issue at most schools.

This post was edited on 12/1 5:30 PM by URedskin54

Chazz, if you are saying that there should be a major program that would lead to a career that they want, then I am all for that.

But they should have to meet all of the core requirements for a degree, most likely in liberal arts. If they fail a required course then they should have to take it again and pass it a TU. Like a philosophy major, or a music major, or a art major some of their hours come from that area. But if Freshman Composition, American Literature, Math, or some science is a general requirement they should able to pass it. They already have tutors the other students don't have. The area of their major should not be designed simply to keep them afloat. They should be university students.

If they can make up a failed class at a community college then every student should be able to do so. The Athletic Department is a part of the University.

Originally posted by TUMe:

Chazz, if you are saying that there should be a major program that would lead to a career that they want, then I am all for that.

But they should have to meet all of the core requirements for a degree, most likely in liberal arts. If they fail a required course then they should have to take it again and pass it a TU. Like a philosophy major, or a music major, or a art major some of their hours come from that area. But if Freshman Composition, American Literature, Math, or some science is a general requirement they should able to pass it. They already have tutors the other students don't have. The area of their major should not be designed simply to keep them afloat. They should be university students.

If they can make up a failed class at a community college then every student should be able to do so. The Athletic Department is a part of the University.
I agree with just about all of that.

But, I also think there may be a mindset that athletes are getting a break that others don't. IMO thats hogwash. An athlete has a much more rigorous schedule than the average student. At a private school like TU, there needs to be more of an emphasis on keeping kids eligible, in class and in school instead of trying to see who can or can't survive the academic "load". Its not some "Survivor" TV show where the name of the game is "elimination".

Originally posted by URedskin54:
Getting academic advisers for the football team would go a long way towards preventing players from failing out. They do get advised by regular university advisers, but not the type of academic advice a freshman who has very little free time during fall should get. As a result some players end up in a very difficult position in their first semester. This is one thing i think the next staff might be able to convince the admin to give them, and it's something that's not an issue at most schools.

This post was edited on 12/1 5:30 PM by URedskin54
+ 1. Upham has said TU won't add degree programs for football players, but they could/should improve academic support for athletes.

The academic advisors comment is odd.

Namely bc I was a personal reference for someone who applied for a sports specific academic advisor in the athletics department about three years ago.

So according to the staff directory, there are like 3 directors and 4 interns/GAs/assistants out of 8 employees in athletic academic services. One pseudo advisor with a giant title.

Yeah, that's ridiclous. And a waste of resources.

One director and seven advisors. That's easy to fix.

I'm enjoying the debate in academics and where TU should fall. There are a number of good ideas and I think the media has made it a bigger issue than it really should be right now. BB tree the excuse out there to Hoover and now it's a huge issue. There haven't been sweeping reforms at TU making it any harder to get kids in or keep them but people want you to think that.

I'm enjoying the debate in academics and where TU should fall. There are a number of good ideas and I think the media has made it a bigger issue than it really should be right now. BB tree the excuse out there to Hoover and now it's a huge issue. There haven't been sweeping reforms at TU making it any harder to get kids in or keep them but people want you to think that.
If Hoover really had a source from the coaching staff he wouldn't have been trolling twitter users for more info last week. There are issues that multiple coaching staffs have fought the administration on for quite a while now. If anything I'd guess a couple of boosters that like Blankenship spoke to Hoover. No info on that, just a guess.

Redskin, I'm sure the coaches would have wanted to get a few more quality kids in or to be able to help/keep some of the academic casualties, but the point was there wasn't any sweeping academic reforms that made it harder than it was before. There may have been tweaks here or there but nothing as drastic as what Hoover's article implied.

I didn't really comment on that, but if anything what I said agreed with you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT