ADVERTISEMENT

Best pizza in Tulsa area?

I haven't tried the NYC Pizza but heard great things about it - I need to get out there myself.

This is a great thread...good job for getting it going Chris.

I've had most of these. For the guy who said he had been to Lou Malnati's in Chicago - get ready - I've had them both and Savastano's is better than any pizza I've had in Chicago

I prefer NY style, and for that, Marios, NYC Pizza, and the Pie Hole get my vote - all great places.

Not a fan of Joe Momma's for some reason.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Originally posted by quincy101:
BTW, Chris- I really liked Godfather's too but it went bankrupt several years ago.
They still have several locations in Missouri. There was one in Springfield last time I was there and several in Kansas City. Maybe they are just franchise stores.

Originally posted by TU BB Goldenboy:
Savastano's, hands down
For Chicago deep dish, I agree.

I have added Gaetano's to the list on the first post of the thread. They are a local joint at 121st & Elm in Jenks. The restaurant is very nice and cozy inside, a little more upscale. The pizza is a homestyle, Midwestern type with a chewy outer crust. Pretty tasty. Their pepperoni rolls are awesome and you get 8 rolls for $4.95.

Has anybody else eaten there? Thoughts?

If anyone is out south around 101st and Sheridan they need to try brothers pizza... Awesome garlic crust. Also, Leon's has solid brick oven pizza! Try the brooksider

First time around here i think, but the pizza thread caught my notice . . must've been a result of the pizza for dinner. Clancy's was an old pizza place and if i remember right it was in the little strip mall just north of 11th on Mingo.
Think i've lived here long enough to throw out the classics that are in the "gone but not forgotten" like Capone's pizza downtown, as well as My Pie Pizza. . . good pizza at both.
As for a favorite, might not compare to the others, but Pizza Shoppe in Bixby has always a good one for me.

Reactions: TU1NNJ
Andolini's on Cherry Street is freakin awesome. May be the best I've ever had. Do yourself a favor and at least try it.

I do like Andolini's. Never been to the one on Cherry Street but I have eaten at their location in Owasso. They have a good beer selection, which goes a long way in my book.

I like Andoluni's more than Hideaway, but that's not saying much these days. They do a decent lunch special with a salad plus unlimited slices of sausage, pepperoni, cheese or one specialty. Pretty good. I've only had a regular pizza there once and it was good. We ordered it into the office once and it was pretty good scavenging after I had been in court all day and missed lunch.

Anybody tried Delk's? Cool bar, ubremarkable pie in my book.

I had a beer at Delk's a couple weeks ago but haven't tried their food. It's certainly a neat place to have a drink.

Just 'cause I'm bored and I happened to come across this one...

My wife and I have been gone for 12 years now... and we still crave Mario's! We tell everyone in the Chicago area that the best pizza on the planet it MARIO's in Tulsa, Oklahoma. They laugh... and think we're nuts.

I'd take Mario's over NYC Ray's or Chicago's Gino's East, Lou Malnati's or Paisano's ANY DAY!

Mario's is still great. Sadly, the owner, Mike Selvaggi, passed away in late 2007. His widow and son are running the business now and the quality is still great. They have a new location, across the street on 51st in Country Club Plaza. The strip shopping center that the old place was at was torn down to accomodate the I-44 expansion project.

I used to call in my order and ask Mike to be sure to slice the pie is squares --- first time he said, "you must be from Chicago." Mike knew his pizza. In 2008, my wife and I went back to T-town with 2 kids this time... As we were preparing for our trip I googled Mario's and read about Mike's passing. Such a young guy --- a real loss.

I think we ate one of the last meals at the old location (they had half the restaurant ripped up it seemed) and so we knew about the pending move.

Wish Mario's the best! Great pie.

crispy pizza.. Minuteman in Sand Springs.. Tell Travis Hi and enjoy the relaxed setting. In Tulsa, you must have Marios for the sauce, for the best take out pizza and if you want to talk horse racing.. NYC pizza is awesome

If u went 2 TU in the 80’s who doesn’t remember Hemi’s?
just west of the Bama Pie. Also, had a store close to 41st & Peoria
I think they used real oregano in their spices iF u know what I mean
smokin.gif

Pretty Darn Good New York Style Pizza though,
took 4 ever to get ur order too!

Reactions: TU 1978
I ate Hemi's Pizza a lot in my TU days. They would have live music on the weekends and a couple of friends played in a band they played there pretty regularly. I remember a Hemi's in Norman too.

This sounds redick but chuck e cheese!!! Was there for my little cousins bday party. That was really good ZA. I wouldn't recommend going there alone for the pizza though....You may end up in the back of a squad car looking like a creeper

I've listed "Goodfellas Pizza" earlier in this thread, but just want to reiterate, if you are ever in Coweta or driving through Coweta, pick up a pie from Goodfellas. And it is not "Two Goodfellas" which recently opened at 61st & 169 in Allstar Sports Complex.

Just "Goodfellas", and it is a great midwestern style pizza. I had it twice last week. The 'Gangster' and the 'Boss' are both great choices.

Team,

Thanks for the kind words regarding Mario's NY Style Pizzeria.
My wife (Elisa Selvaggi-Burkett) and her mother (Salley Selvaggi) own and run the 2 locations since Michael Selvaggi's passing.
Michael never had a son...many customers initially think Nick (the BA shop manager) is Mike's son.

Elisa loved her father at immeasurable levels. She and her Mom work extremely hard to make Michael proud.

They love the company. They "do it the right way for the right reasons".

It's nice to hear all of the hard work is paying off!

My wife (Elisa) typically works all day Saturday at the Broken Arrow location (71st and Elm). Stop by, have some pizza...and say "Hi"...!!!

Thanks again,

Steve Burkett

This post was edited on 8/12 2:01 PM by hotterthanyourhusbandTU

Mario's is good stuff. Glad there is a link to the board and TU world.

Originally posted by hotterthanyourhusbandTU:
Team,

Thanks for the kind words regarding Mario's NY Style Pizzeria.
My wife (Elisa Selvaggi-Burkett) and her mother (Salley Selvaggi) own and run the 2 locations since Michael Selvaggi's passing.
Michael never had a son...many customers initially think Nick (the BA shop manager) is Mike's son. Elisa loved her father at immeasurable levels. She and her Mom work extremely hard to make Michael proud.

They love the company. They "do it the right way for the right reasons".

It's nice to hear all of the hard work is paying off!

My wife (Elisa) typically works all day Saturday at the Broken Arrow location (71st and Elm). Stop by, have some pizza...and say "Hi"...!!!

Thanks again,

Steve Burkett

This post was edited on 8/12 2:01 PM by hotterthanyourhusbandTU
Thanks for posting that info, Steve. Very cool. If you don't mind me asking, where is the Selvaggi family originally from? I also incorrectly assumed Nick was related.

I generally visit the BA location, so I'll try to remember to say 'hi'. Also, I heard a while back that the Uncle Vinny's NYC Pizza owners were friends of the Mario's folks...is that correct? I noticed the local firemen visit Uncle Vinny's frequently.

Chris,

The Selvaggi family is originally from Naples, Italy.
Elisa's (my wife's) parents are from the New York City area.
Michael Selvaggi moved to Tulsa to attend Spartan. He was actually a very successful auto mechanic (he owned his own auto shop) while concurrently running Mario's.

Unfortunately, none of this information will help Cody Green become a good passer! :)

This post was edited on 9/4 2:33 PM by hotterthanyourhusbandTU

Originally posted by hotterthanyourhusbandTU:
Chris,

The Selvaggi family is originally from Naples, Italy.
Elisa's (my wife's) parents are from the New York City area.
Michael Selvaggi moved to Tulsa to attend Spartan. He was actually a very successful auto mechanic (he owned his own auto shop) while concurrently running Mario's.

Unfortunately, none of this information will help Cody Green become a good passer! :)

This post was edited on 9/4 2:33 PM by hotterthanyourhusbandTU
Steve,

Mike used to work on my VW's for years (from my TU days in the 70's until I sold my last Beetle in 1987) at Mike's Auto Haus. He and his crew always did great work at a fair price. I always enjoyed visiting with him there and at the original Mario's location.

Without a doubt, your late father-in-law was a great guy!

Bohemian Pizza over at Third and Kenosha (across from Hodge's Bend) has my highest recommendation. It's a good date night place. Definitely the best pizza downtown.

Reactions: Chris Harmon
Bohemian Pizza over at Third and Kenosha (across from Hodge's Bend) has my highest recommendation. It's a good date night place. Definitely the best pizza downtown.

I've noticed Bohemia while tippling at Hodge's Bend but I've yet to go in. I'll have to give it at try.

Bohemian was tasty but we still love fat, cheesy, thick American pizza instead of the dainty Italian stuff. I'm sure we'll be back when we don't want to feel awful after eating pizza. The formaggio appetizer was amazing, however.

Service and atmosphere were excellent. Cocktail was so-so.

Tip: they take reservations. It's teeny.

Stg is ok. The gelato is why you would go. I'd rank the pizza behind Bohemian and Joe Momma's for downtown options. It's not bad but some people will fuss about them not cutting the pie. The salad was good.

While driving on 21st west of Harvard tonight, I noticed the building Umberto's was is, has been torn down.

It's over near 32nd and Harvard. The old dry cleaner, steak place, Amish kitchen, flower store, and what have you.

They still have several locations in Missouri. There was one in Springfield last time I was there and several in Kansas City. Maybe they are just franchise stores.

Just saw this thread. Yes, There are multiple Godfathers in SW Missouri. I live in a small town-Ozark, 5 miles away in Nixa is one, 5 miles to Apringfield has 2 and 25 miles to Branson has 1. We're surrounded by pizzas. However, the best pizza in this area is Arris Pizza in Springfield and when local Brad Pitt, Angelina and their wild, destructive kids are in town, that's their favorite place.

It's Greek style pizza and their kids have been know to have food fights, be loud and toss around chairs, etc. But Brad pays for the damages. Lol. Usually they pay to have it only for them and Brad's family here in Springfield. But when they just drop in maybe you can go and get spaghetti thrown on your head. Great pizza tho, when they're not around.

Not the best pizza I've had but you can ask Chris. He and I got a couple one year he came up to watch the NCAA Tourney with me.

My favorite pizzas were at various Mom and Pop places in Little Italy in Willmington, DE when I worked for DuPont. Lots of various fresh seafood on them but my favorite was just tomatoes, fresh basil, garlic and Italian cheeses. You had to point to the menu to order because most only spoke Italian.

A few months back. That deal has been in the works awhile.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT