ADVERTISEMENT

Beat Writer

goldenhurricane2

I.T.S. Head Coach
Gold Member
Sep 9, 2006
According to Kelly Hines, she will no longer be the beat writer for TU... nothing about a replacement, so I guess TU just won’t have a beat writer. She said she’d cover general college football stuff that may include TU from time to time.

Apparently some other guy will also cover select TU sporting events as well. So no designated beat writer.

Staff cuts. Peters gone. Where is Bailey?

Outside of a few of us diehard TU fans, no one will even notice.

I know a lot of folks had some issues with Kelly, but it was nice having a designated source for TU info that would come across on twitter (where most sports info is shared).

I guess this is just how it is now... or in the words of the wise Douglas Wojcik: it is what it is.

I’m ecstatic to announce that Wednesday I’ll start a new job @tulsaworld, the newspaper I grew up reading. I’ll be a utility man for @TWSportsExtra, covering a little bit of everything, from TU football, to #okpreps.

https://twitter.com/dekotagregory

Yep - that’s the other guy who’ll be covering a little bit of TU.

Either the Tulsa world is REALLY hurting or this is just a big slap in the face.

Can you imagine this happening at Memphis, Cincinnati, Houston, UCF, USF, etc? Nope. But we’re “just Tulsa” so it’s acceptable.

The Whirled is being cut to the bone by Berkshire Hathaway. The print media era is fading away.

The World is being Buffetted by the general media malaise. None of the traditional media is exempt. There’s already been two radio conglomerate bankruptcies (Cumulus and iHurtRadio) and broadcast TV stations are combining multiple channels / networks under one roof.

Yep - that’s the other guy who’ll be covering a little bit of TU.

Either the Tulsa world is REALLY hurting or this is just a big slap in the face.

Can you imagine this happening at Memphis, Cincinnati, Houston, UCF, USF, etc? Nope. But we’re “just Tulsa” so it’s acceptable.
If I were the TW, I would have made the same move. It’s a challenge for us to become relevant again.

Peters is still there. As I said on the pay board, the TW sports staff will have one more person this year than it had last year.

or in the words of the wise Douglas Wojcik: it is what it is.
miwsuq4fizntgecifg52

Looks like the Tulsa world refused to send a rep to AAC media days. And the two fine folks assigned to “cover” TU from the Tulsa world are being crabby patties about it on twitter.

Reactions: HuffyCane
So coming to the defense of your boss on the tweets is now part of a sportswriter's job description? Oh brother. Glad I got out in '96.

If TU says they aren’t going to invest, why should their partners?

It’s things like this that stack up over time that I was referring to when I said if Collins Hall thinks it can take the money but not match it, or worse not spend what they get and just pay debts, then they are woefully naive about how conferences work.

It’s things like this that stack up over time that I was referring to when I said if Collins Hall thinks it can take the money but not match it, or worse not spend what they get and just pay debts, then they are woefully naive about how conferences work.
Or they simply don't give a rats arse; which I believe is the most likely position of those in Collins Hall.

There doesn’t seem to be a positive outlook from any angle of the university at this point. I hope we (TU) can pull ourselves out of this, but I haven’t seen much from any level that makes me feel any better.

So much internal conflict was bound to have negative impacts from external stakeholders at some point.

These next two seasons might be the most important in years for our football program. I fear if we continue to struggle the calls to exit D1 football will not only grow louder but gain support from the decision makers. I expect to ticket sales to rebound this season due to our home schedule. However, without improvement this season, attendance next season will plummet. Further fueling the drop football crowd. There’s a lot riding on the shoulders of a football coach I don’t particularly support.

Reactions: Henry Kendall
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT